You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TehBeaker

Trying to grind to Tier V but not having much luck

11 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
182 battles

Trying to grind to Tier V but not having much luck.

Cruisers and battleships are my thing currently. Willing to learn always.

I don't want to give up this game, either I suck really bad or the research gap is so huge for me. I don't know what's wrong, am I missing something?

Please help! 

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles

xp flags. Lots of xp flags. Or actually, save them for higher tiers, they'll come in handy. Activate replays here: https://na.wargaming.net/support/kb/articles/517 and send us some replays. There is a pretty big jump from tier four to tier five, and the xp needed scales up very quickly from there. I would, however recommend that you not research a tier five for now, as with under 200 battles and no tier fives you are still in protected matchmaking, so you won't be playing any extremely skilled players.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

I do not recommend accelerating XP while first learning the game. It really does take that many matches to learn the game mechanics and ships. There's a lot to it!

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,266 posts
2,029 battles

Where are you having your issues?

What lines are you grinned specifically, and what's going wrong?

Some lines have very particular playstyles, so it's very likely the issue lies there if you're new to them.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,827 posts
9,939 battles

You can first use youtube, and then search how to play on the ship that you are playing. You can watch and learn from the clips.

You can also check out the sub forum for the nation that you are playing posts how to spec the ship because each nation play differently.

General skills - shooting, arming, leading shots, how to torps, run, stay invisible are transferrable skills

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,696 posts
9,112 battles
12 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I do not recommend accelerating XP while first learning the game. It really does take that many matches to learn the game mechanics and ships. There's a lot to it!

This, you only have a few matches in and it takes many more than that to get a good handle on the game. The higher you go the harder it gets.

[WJDC]
Members
1,261 posts
7,626 battles
29 minutes ago, TehBeaker said:

I don't want to give up this game, either I suck really bad or the research gap is so huge for me. I don't know what's wrong, am I missing something?

Please help! 

You only have 118 battles. The grind is real. 

The learning curve of this game is .. steep once you get past the basics of operating the ship.. .when I was at 2000 games I said something to the effect of.. 

It takes 500 games to really understand "that this is gunna take a while, cause man, I suck" and congrats at having reached this at just over 100 games.
By 1000 games, you'll have a good clue as to what not to do and a direction on learning what to do.
By 1500 games, you will start to really feel like you are getting somewhere with your skill level.. and therein is a key... it is easy to play and a lot of work to get good.
By 2000 games, your ability to have better than 50% win rate increases dramatically, and you really start honing your skills .

I've recommended starting with Battleships, as it slows the game down enough to develop and understand the situational awareness you need to play well. Then progress to cruisers and then destroyers.

Watch videos.. Jingles is a great start.. watch his videos.. when you've run down through his... go watch Flammu's videos on the ships you run.

Patience... this game is very wide and deep... it literally will take you a few thousand games to feel that you are playing well.. Have Fun!

Edited by Elo_J_Fudpucker
  • Cool 3

Beta Testers
715 posts
3,660 battles

I see you're going up the USN line in BB and CA. They're both well rounded to be sure but have some drawbacks you should familiarize yourself with.

For instance - USN BBs are notoriously SLOW until you get to the NC, Iowa and Montana. The guns can feel "shotgun" like and then surprise you with laser guided accuracy. Such is RNG...

You also have an Indy in your kit. Tip #1: Research before you buy. I've never used the ship but I have read plenty of feedback about it. She's very fragile among other things. Tip #2: Be sure the Nation you're playing is truly the one you want to play - THEN snag a suitable Premium.

As someone has stated - Check out YouTube. There's many content creators out there who have content ranging from "How To" ships, grinding advice, mechanics etc etc.

Premium Time will also accelerate your grind time and assist you economically.

Continue to plug away with what you've got going to get a feel for the mechanics - then take some time to research various Nations ships as each has their own particular "flavor". What is unpalatable to one may be just what you're looking for in a ship.

Best of luck to you & happy holidays.

• Cool 1

[DUDE_]
Members
2,604 posts
12,503 battles
8 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

You only have 118 battles. The grind is real. 

The learning curve of this game is .. steep once you get past the basics of operating the ship.. .when I was at 2000 games I said something to the effect of.. 

It takes 500 games to really understand "that this is gunna take a while, cause man, I suck" and congrats at having reached this at just over 100 games.
By 1000 games, you'll have a good clue as to what not to do and a direction on learning what to do.
By 1500 games, you will start to really feel like you are getting somewhere with your skill level.. and therein is a key... it is easy to play and a lot of work to get good.
By 2000 games, your ability to have better than 50% win rate increases dramatically, and you really start honing your skills .

I've recommended starting with Battleships, as it slows the game down enough to develop and understand the situational awareness you need to play well. Then progress to cruisers and then destroyers.

Watch videos.. Jingles is a great start.. watch his videos.. when you've run down through his... go watch Flammu's videos on the ships you run.

Patience... this game is very wide and deep... it literally will take you a few thousand games to feel that you are playing well.. Have Fun!

this is some of the best advice I've seen. I was 2000 games in and treating this game like I would Boom Beach on my phone....It will take you some time, but f your asking questions already...you are 2000 games ahead of me. Good luck!

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,876 posts
5,259 battles
1 hour ago, TehBeaker said:

Please help! 

I'd suggest focusing only on battleships to start.   Trying to learn two different playstyles when you're just starting is a tall order.

I'd also recommend, each day before you start playing, read one article in game mechanics from the wiki.  You will learn a LOT that will help you.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

• Cool 1