Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fog_Battlecruiser_Haruna

Harekaze in Ranked?

38 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

Fair enough. It also depends on what guns you take on Harekaze.

I assume the Akizuki guns, it'll play less like an Aki if you take the USN guns.

The health is going to be a killer though. Harakaze is bottom of the heap while Aki is either first or second depending on burst or sustain vs the Kidd.

[HEROS]
Members
1,510 posts
12,844 battles

I wouldn't count the Harekaze out in a gun fight with a Kidd.  I've shot up tier X russian DD's with the Hare.  Kidd doesn't scare me even a little.  In point of fact none of the other tier 8 DD's premium or other standard are my real concern.  Not even another Harkaze, or kagero.

Radar cruiser are a threat  and  Chappy radar at best lasts 24 seconds.  That is it.  29 second after it fires off you have faded out and are no longer seen.  It's survivable with a little luck and careful manuvering.  I'm more concerned with the radar on the Pan Asian DD's. It's lasts significantly longer on a ship that can catch me and do mount good artillery.   Most importantly is they're fast 'nuf to get into hard spotting range and stay there.  The longer your spotted the shorter your life. The short duration along with the chappy's fragility makes it a dealable threat  along with the fact it's most likely to be used from a sheltered un moving position.  Static game play is a mistake in this kind of fighting.   Other radar cruiser at this tier have much the same issue.  As for the Kidd.  Ships like the Kidd are why I run RPF on my Harekaze.

But then I love surprising people.  If  didn't I wouldn't be driving an IJN DD!  *grin*

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,100 posts
10,331 battles
10 minutes ago, Fog_Battlecruiser_Haruna said:

most people go with  the 100mm or the 5 inchers i rarely see the 127 in use

Yea, I wish there was a way for the 127mm IJN guns to be compeditive and useful for something other than a port decoration.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
17 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

I wouldn't count the Harekaze out in a gun fight with a Kidd.  I've shot up tier X russian DD's with the Hare.  Kidd doesn't scare me even a little.  In point of fact none of the other tier 8 DD's premium or other standard are my real concern.  Not even another Harkaze, or kagero.

Radar cruiser are a threat  and  Chappy radar at best lasts 24 seconds.  That is it.  29 second after it fires off you have faded out and are no longer seen.  It's survivable with a little luck and careful manuvering.  I'm more concerned with the radar on the Pan Asian DD's. It's lasts significantly longer on a ship that can catch me and do mount good artillery.   Most importantly is they're fast 'nuf to get into hard spotting range and stay there.  The longer your spotted the shorter your life. The short duration along with the chappy's fragility makes it a dealable threat  along with the fact it's most likely to be used from a sheltered un moving position.  Static game play is a mistake in this kind of fighting.   Other radar cruiser at this tier have much the same issue.  As for the Kidd.  Ships like the Kidd are why I run RPF on my Harekaze.

But then I love surprising people.  If  didn't I wouldn't be driving an IJN DD!  *grin*

I never saw a Harakaze do anything but run away in SL.  In randumbs I'm pretty confident that most of the gold DD captains can outskill the average DD to the point they can plow a Kidd or a Lol Yang.

However, in ranked you'll eventually rise to the point that you're playing against other gold DDs and if you gun fight with skill being equal both the Lol Yang and Kidd will smash a Harakaze.  That's even assuming you're running smoke not torp reload.  I realize SL had basically zero smoke Harakaze, but in ranked I suspect it's back to default smoke.  If only because if you run into a CV and you're running reload vs an enemy Kidd... That's a loss and you're losing the star.

It will be interesting to see how Chappy does when you can't permanently park it behind an island and voice coms for"Radar on B in, 3...2...1".  I suspect the frailty and detection will be a bigger problem than in SL.  Not sure if New Orleans will succeed.  Lol Yang will be a great DD smasher and point grabber.

Oh, I've heard some Kidd run RPF too.  :Smile_honoring:

I can never stand the stupids of ranked and playing the same ships over and over for long. Maybe with T8 it'll be more bearable. Then again the rewards suck, so who knows.

Members
3,098 posts
3 hours ago, Fog_Battlecruiser_Haruna said:

as the Harekaze being the DD im playing primarily,  im curious to see how she fits into the ranked meta, Anyone have input in how they expect her to play?

I think Harekaze could do well with 100mm guns and a high point captain. IFHE will be mandatory. The issue will be can any DD compete with Kidd because of the huge disparity in AA.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,088 posts
3,895 battles
30 minutes ago, Fog_Battlecruiser_Haruna said:

most people go with  the 100mm or the 5 inchers i rarely see the 127 in use

...But 5" is 12.7cm.

I assume you mean the US 5"/38s vs the IJN 12.7cm/50s.

Edited by AraAragami

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
1 hour ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

I think Harekaze could do well with 100mm guns and a high point captain. IFHE will be mandatory. The issue will be can any DD compete with Kidd because of the huge disparity in AA.

Akizuki can win a duel, but if the Kidd escapes and heals Aki will lose round 2.  Lol Yang can punk a Kidd with smoke/hydro.

Benson is similar in AA to the Kidd, but has twice the torps.

So there should be some choices and diversity in DD population. Though I admit, Kidd send to be the top by a hair.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
18,116 battles
4 hours ago, Fog_Battlecruiser_Haruna said:

im a big fan of her stealth primarily, shes not the knife fighter the ranked meta calls for, but her ability to screw over overzealous BB captains is.... powerfull

If you're running the 100mms, she's has the best firepower after the Akizuki for T8 DDs

[WOLFB]
Members
2,247 posts
9,777 battles

I don't own Harekaze but from what I saw, I think she might perform well. Not to bad but not great neither. 

IMO the 100mm version is probably the best pick. You'll not beat Akizuki in a pure DPM but you will be able to both defend yourself and have some AA support. Using US gun isn't that great considering you only has 3 guns. The last one isn't worth, you should take Kagerou instead 

[WOLF1]
Members
4,006 posts
12 hours ago, AraAragami said:

...But 5" is 12.7cm.

I assume you mean the US 5"/38s vs the IJN 12.7cm/50s.

Actually, the choices are: 127/50 or 100/65 or 127/54.  Pretty sure the US guns in this case are the 5"/54s, which are a newer model.  The IJN 5" are the 127mm/50s?

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,425 posts
9,502 battles

It will work fine.

Pending Meta, ill end up using the Kagero.

Beta Testers
629 posts
3,864 battles

After 4 or 5 matches (lost count) and only one win, ive come to the conclusion that

The harekaze does not cap. It just cant, it's a hyena, planting fires and dropping torps when needed and securing a cap after battle has settled down. 

been landing 2-5 torps per game with a kill every so often but im seeing my deaths come from contesting caps against Kidd, and other gunboats.

Sign in to follow this