Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fog_Battlecruiser_Haruna

Harekaze in Ranked?

38 comments in this topic

[B2P]
Members
517 posts
13,684 battles

I don't know, I thought I had some pretty good success with my Akatsuki when it was tier 7 ranked.  I don't have a Harekaze, but I wouldn't discount the IJN DDs.

Members
248 posts
11,927 battles

I think the kagero and harekaze will be great in ranked with reload boost and their stealth, just avoid any matches with cv's when you have no smoke.

Members
2,594 posts
12,470 battles

The reason the Shira did so well in 7 was the detectability edge. Harekazi enjoys even better detectability but with more radr and hydro... that will be a tough nut to crack.

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,750 battles
1 minute ago, Viscount said:

reload boost

Even with no cvs this is still very very risky. Smoke is also a better team playing consumable than the memey torpedo reload booster.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,974 posts
7,530 battles

Kagero beats her out, simply due to the torpedo reload. Those extra seconds shaved off matter, really, really matter, in true competitive play. They are the literal difference between a win and a loss. If they had the exact same torps, and exact same reload, I'd take Hare, due to multiple gun configs, and AA configs. In the end, though, it isn't how many planes a DD can shoot down that matters in ranked, it's how many torps it can drop, how much scouting and area denying it can do, and how often those torps are ready for launch. Kagero wins. Conversely, however, I'd take Kidd over Benson, due to the heal. In its own way, that makes up for the loss of a set of tubes, plus, it actually has good AA, and can defend itself if spotted by a CV, it has smoke, speed, and AA to break detection and save itself, and has the heal just to ice the cake.

I'm running Kidd and Kagero most of the time in Ranked this time.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,974 posts
7,530 battles
7 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

The reason the Shira did so well in 7 was the detectability edge. Harekazi enjoys even better detectability but with more radr and hydro... that will be a tough nut to crack.

Shira and Hare have the same detectability.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,974 posts
7,530 battles
9 minutes ago, Viscount said:

I think the kagero and harekaze will be great in ranked with reload boost and their stealth, just avoid any matches with cv's when you have no smoke.

Yes, because we get to choose who we fight, right?

Smoke over TRB, it's a team game, how much damage the DD's do isn't what matters.

Members
2,594 posts
12,470 battles
1 minute ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Shira and Hare have the same detectability.

no. well at least during ranked the Shira was 5.7 and the harekazi is 5.4

[BLOME]
Members
945 posts
6,469 battles

I played IJN upto Kagero and stopped. I have no real intention to reach shimakaze. And I have not much experience in Ranked either.

But I learned that IJN DDs are just equivalent or even inferior to human feces.

- They have crapguns, if they use them they get detected and get [edited].

- They have smoke but they use it to save their own [edited]when  they are detected. No smoke for allies.

- They launch torps which are slow and easily detectable. And avoidable too.

- They hope and pray that their torps hit the enemy but they have a torpedo reload booster... so more hope and more prayer to RNGESUS!!!

So I dont see what Kagero or harekaze got to do in the ranked.

[HEROS]
Members
1,430 posts
12,054 battles
24 minutes ago, FayFay731 said:

Even with no cvs this is still very very risky. Smoke is also a better team playing consumable than the memey torpedo reload booster.

Not any more!  It used to be, but the smoke changes effected that strongly.. a BB in smoke that doesn't want to be shot at need to NOT fire it's main guns.  Cruiser in smoke blazing away need to be in most cases at least 8 1/2 Km form enemy or they will be spotted.. (and fired at.. real difficult to dodge fire when your NOT MOVING IN SMOKE.  (Sit in smoke in front of my no smoke Kagero or Harekaze and I will introduce to the joys of the torpedo reload booster..you won't like it!)

Ranked is going to be 7 player teams.. you cannot sit and wait.  You do not have the ships to play an attrition battle with the other team. Volume of fire is going to be very important, and precision with that fire even more so.  

As for it being risky  DUDE,  YOUR DRIVING A WARSHIP! RISK IS WHAT YOU DO!  If your risk adverse it's time to go back to something safe like EA's Tiger Woods PGA Golf Tour.  

I ran no smoke Kagero for the last 2 seasons of Supremacy League and let me tell you about CV's is this sort of situation.  All they're mostly going to be good for is spotting.  Getting a strikes in once you up the ranks a bit is going to get more and more and MORE difficult as ships switch to strong AA builds and stay in mutual support.  And the CV's air group can't be everywhere.. there will be holes that a canny DD can sneak through.  Especially if it's a knowlegable player running RPF so that they can find a hole to sneak through.  I got to pull that off 3 times in the last supremacy league season and drove BB's right out of smoke into the waiting 8", 14", 15" and 16" guns because I put them in the unenviable position of use it now or loose it!  My team went 8-4 for the season but got shot down in the first round of the play offs.  It happens.  At least in Ranked you get to keep plugging~  !!!

The only real difference between my Kagero build and my Harekaze build is I drop the concealment expert commander skill and take IFHE in it's place.  With the concealment module I'n still at a surface detect of 6 Km.  which is fine, my torps will still go 10Km.  Radar will be a pain but you solve that by fighting at he edge of the opposing radar range.  And f your really clever you drive into radar range turn around and have a friendly lay some smoke in front of you.  The smoke is not going to hind you until the radar has either expired or you drive out of its range (remember the 5 second fade out.. you don't just go poof) so keep maneuvering until your SURE your not being fired at.  Now that the radar is burned trun around move up to a much shorter range and star with the torpedo's.. spread the wealth, don't focus on just one ship.  3 torpedo in 3 different ships has a much more profound effect on a teams play then 3 torpedo in one ship.   

that Harekaze can use her guns and their high volume of fire is a bonus.   Be most curious as to which DD make it to rank! !    Concealment dependent DD players are going to have to maintain a strong situational awareness if they're going to stay in an offensive stance.  Defensive fight is simply a kiting fight.  If you end up in one of those most likely your on the loosing team!  Dont be surprised to see Akizuki's either.  The ability to sit in smoke.. even relatively poor IJN smoke and drop rounds on target at 15.2 Km.  Ak'i's built for distance fire dont even need to bother with concealment  You just get outside of radar range pop some smoke and start shooting.  As long as you don't just sit still and shoot you should be fine.  Keep shifting position, don't sit still.  No stealth AA build distance fighter Aki's will do well in the hands of a smart player.  

And thats really the gist of it.  The ship and it's build are just a tool to do a job. A no smoke Kagero or Harekaze in the hands of a smart, aware thinking flexible player will do very well.  TRB allows you to switch up the threat period from your ship.  The thing is you play in front of your fleet 3-5 Km from the big boys between the bad guys and them stodging back and forth and keeping the torpedo's flowing.   The reason your so close to the friendlies is to saty under the buble of a hella lot more AA then your little DD can pack.  That just by its self reduces the air threat to something manageable.. and more importantly, survivable.  Just be aware that one the AA starts banging away you are spotted so manual on/off the AA (P key) and only use it one you get the air spotted icon.    And focus the AA.  You may safely assume you have only one chance to get this right!  

You the player is what makes a ship and build viable.  How YOU play. What you pay attention to.  The decisions you make in a match.  and the most critical decision are the ones at the very beginning of the match dealing with "where do I go and what do I do when I get there.  What is the other players on my team doing." and more.    I fight tier X ships all the doggone time  (a little to much of the doggone time for my tastes) in my Kagero, Harakaze, and Akizuki and I beat them.  I beat them badly.. I embarrass them how nastily I manage to pull it off.  Much salt over so many torps.. and then the DD charges in to "Deal with me" and get introduced to IJN guns which are not a joke.  The 100mm/65's on the Harekaze starts at 120 RPM and just climbs from there.  The 127/50 of the Kagero while not having the turret traverse and ROF of the 10cm's make up for it by being every bit as accurate and much harder hitting.  For that matter their DPM is respectable and their  per volly (Alpha) damage exceeds that of most other DD's.  I've killed more then one cruiser with the guns on a Kagero.   Been using them rather a lot lately. Not complaining.  Gives me something to do besides steering the ship, jockeying the throttle and paying  attention to everything between between torpedo shots.  Mostly because that other stuff has gotten a lot easier over the last few months.  God help you all, I'm finding my self boored! in a destroyer...I may have to go finally learn how to play carriers..

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
1 hour ago, Viscount said:

You're out of your mind if you run reload in ranked.

Every game with a CV will be like 80% loss rate. Your team is down a DD off the bat and that's hard to come back from.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

Everything has better detection though, it's T8. Conceal module.

I have a hard time seeing a situation where the Harakaze is better off than the Kidd or the Lol Yang.  Or Benson for that matter.

If you lack all of those but have the Harakaze then you can probably do alright with it, use the Akizuki guns.   Just use the damn smoke. There only reason people used Harakaze and reload in SL was because of the limit for smokes on a team.  The idea being that you can run a Kutuzov if you if you run a Harakaze.   There is no smoke limit in ranked, so don't gimp yourself with reload.

Beta Testers
543 posts
2,973 battles

it comes down to potential damage vs versatility

What if you are not great at knife fighting no matter what DD ur in and relinquish control of an early cap in favor of spotting the main body of the red fleet ind launching an early barrage of torps with a hope  to hit hard.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
2 hours ago, zuga_01 said:

Tier 8 IJN DDs in ranked?

Poseidon help them.

Excuse me but the old T8 Fubuki was really good in Ranked. 74% winrate with that thing in Ranked before they nerfed it to tier 6.

Harekaze will probably be fine. Certainly a better choice than Kagero. I imagine she'll fill a similar niche to Akizuki.

Edited by AraAragami

[HEROS]
Members
1,430 posts
12,054 battles

addendum:  I used a no smoke Kagero in League play.  Would have used the Harekaze but gave it up so my team could have another Kutazov.  We ran a Gearing, my no smoke Kagero and 2 Kutazovs, 3 various and assorted BB and a carrier (only one of the remaining ships could be a premium) all season and went 8-4.  Notice no radar ships.  Worked rather well.  And Harekaze has better longer ranged AAA then Kagero allowing it to socket into a group of ships air defense much more easily.  She's also a hair ball more nimble and is just annoying as crap with those fast firing 100mm's. And very dangerous to other DD's.

But, you better know what your doing with the ship or your going to just get snotted.  Like any DD of any line.  Foul up and your fish food.  It's that simple.

Members
417 posts

The problem with sailing out in stealthy destroyers will be the Chapayev, not the New Orleans. WG gave Russian cruisers a 11.7 km radar, which, besides reasons of gross historical inaccuracy and radar still going through solid objects, makes sneaking around a miserable experience. The Chapayev radar has a nearly 2km range advantage over the the New Orleans' radar. I've seen way more Chapayev's out than usual over the past few days, doubtless because players are warming up for ranked. They wrecked my Benson, Kagero, and Harekaze, and it wasn't like I was even close to them. 

Beta Testers
561 posts
3,464 battles
1 hour ago, DreadRaybo said:

I'm really interested to see how the new smoke mechanics affect the meta in this ranked season.

As am I, the smoke everyone all the time strat will have to be adjusted. Smoke will still be too useful to be without though.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
17 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Excuse me but the old T8 Fubuki was really good in Ranked. 74% winrate with that thing in Ranked before they nerfed it to tier 6.

Harekaze will probably be fine. Certainly a better choice than Kagero. I imagine she'll fill a similar niche to Akizuki.

Totally different niche.

Akizuki is a cap bully, more guns and much much much more health. Harakaze is not.

Akizuki can win a slugging match with a Kidd, Harakaze cannot.

On the other hand Harakaze is sneakier and more agile.  So it's not all bad, but they play nothing alike.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
3 minutes ago, Grizley said:

Totally different niche.

Akizuki is a cap bully, more guns and much much much more health. Harakaze is not.

Akizuki can win a slugging match with a Kidd, Harakaze cannot.

On the other hand Harakaze is sneakier and more agile.  So it's not all bad, but they play nothing alike.

Fair enough. It also depends on what guns you take on Harekaze.

Sign in to follow this