You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
guns_at_last_light

Season 8 irrevocable ranks the same as last season

17 comments in this topic

Members
417 posts

According to https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ice-skating-rank/, the upcoming Ranked season's irrevocable ranks - levels you can't fall below once reached - are ranks 23-17, 15, 12, and 1. These are the same as season 7. I recall there being a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth over the lack of irrevocable ranks between 12 and 1 while season 7 was underway, and was wondering what folks thought about WG not changing anything up this time around. Would the upcoming season be less stressful with an irrevocable rank at, say, 5? 

Beta Testers
498 posts
6,560 battles

Stressful isnt the word.  Overly repetitive.

It would have been nice to have one rank, in between 12 and 1.  Since Ranked is just like random, it can lead to a up and down in ranks that is just tedious.  Say Rank 6 is fixed, that would be nice and helpful.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,111 posts
12,668 battles

As annoying as losing ranks is, putting an irrevocable right at 5 is a bad idea. People need to be able to drop out of particular leagues if they are doing poorly in them. Having someone luck into 5 and then being stuck there for the rest of the season getting punching bagged is bad for all involved.

Putting an irrevocable rank at, say, 6 or 7 might be more reasonable, because you wouldn't hit those until you've pushed most of the way through 10-6 (i.e. competed reasonably in that bracket), and it would still be possible to drop out of 5-2.

That said, it's pretty clear after this many seasons that they only want hard pushes for the top few leagues, so...

Edited by Edgecase

Members
417 posts

I picked rank 5 as an example because it is the rank at which players would get the Premier League Flag, so it seemed like a major milestone. Rank 7 would probably be easier for more players to stomach, though this wouldn't help reduce the high rank queue times quite as much as rank 5. 

I wound up giving up at rank 10 last season after getting mired in the 8-10 range for a couple of days. I opted to focus on the Dunkirk Campaign instead. As someone else mentioned, if ranked play stops being fun...stop playing. 

[5IN]
Members
1,792 posts
8,139 battles
15 minutes ago, Siegewolf said:

It would have been nice to have one rank, in between 12 and 1.  Since Ranked is just like random, it can lead to a up and down in ranks that is just tedious.  Say Rank 6 is fixed, that would be nice and helpful.

... and Frustrating.  I'll still play and try to get the Jolly Roger.  I've wanted that flag since I started playing and last year was the closest I've come yet.  its time.

b

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,111 posts
12,668 battles
7 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

this wouldn't help reduce the high rank queue times quite as much as rank 5

Queue times in the 5-2 bracket aren't generally a problem after the first week. I hear far more complaints about the quality of players there being too low instead.

3 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

... and Frustrating.  I'll still play and try to get the Jolly Roger.  I've wanted that flag since I started playing and last year was the closest I've come yet.  its time.

b

Good luck!

[SALVO]
Members
17,072 posts
17,737 battles
24 minutes ago, Siegewolf said:

Wolf, not to sound like a jerk, but who are you to say that Ranked Battles isn't stressful to some people?

[PSP]
Members
6,291 posts
8,915 battles

What I like about Ranked is that I get a bunch of flags and stuff just for showing up as I reached level 10 the last two seasons.

Edited by Snargfargle

[INTEL]
Members
8,587 posts
25,725 battles

Needs to be irrevocable ranks at 8 and 5.

I expect I will make it to 7 or 8 and stop like I did last year. The lack of an irrevocable rank means bouncing around, a waste of time, especially now that they have reduced the awards. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,400 battles
46 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

What I like about Ranked is that I get a bunch of flags and stuff just for showing up as I reached level 10 the last two seasons.

I'm at 12 right now. Not sure where I'll start at but my goal is 5 this go around. Hope to see you on my side.

Members
54 posts
3,445 battles

I am also at twelve and I think I will wait some weeks before attempting to improve on that number.  My reluctance to enter the fray immediately rooted in the fact that I have less than 5 random battles at tier 8.  I simply lack the experience to be of aid to teams composed of veteran players in a tense, competitive atmosphere.  I’ll bide my time and watch for the meta to emerge as well as those ships that appear as the most useful for the the purpose at hand.  Good luck, all.

Members
3,725 posts
14,997 battles

There shouldn't be any irrevocable ranks IMO. WG should implement the "struggle" they used in CW into ranked battles as well but make it bo3 instead of bo5. If you do bad you should fall back.

7 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

All I want out of Ranked is the Jolly Roger Flag lol

git gud and get yourself one?

[RKLES]
Members
7,213 posts
9,006 battles
Just now, m373x said:

There shouldn't be any irrevocable ranks IMO. WG should implement the "struggle" they used in CW into ranked battles as well but make it bo3 instead of bo5. If you do bad you should fall back.

git gud and get yourself one?

Yeah I am on the sidelines for the moment until I get a new Gaming PC...

I did not do too badly my 1st Ranked season so next season I play in should do it.

• Boring 1

[PSP]
Members
6,291 posts
8,915 battles
On 12/21/2017 at 3:00 PM, Herr_Reitz said:

I usually stop at 10 because. It's the flag pole you see. 

That's what I've done the past two seasons. That -10% service cost flag is my goal.