Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BrandonKF

Turning the Kii into a Dreadnought

15 comments in this topic

Members
594 posts
4,444 battles

I've hashed and rehashed over my issues with Kii in multiple avenues, but with this match, at least, I can say that I was lucky enough that I had enough time to dish out the pain to the last second.

https://replayswows.com/replay/11881

It's one of my best matches to date.

Sadly, no Kraken. But the rest was worth it.

-

11881_877_1513877923.jpg

11881_411_1513877923.jpg

• Cool 2

Members
1,551 posts
8,268 battles

Hey

Is the Kii any good day in and day out?  I like the looks of it, but then there was a comment seen about some questionable armour function as compared to Amag.  I wonder how it compares to Bismarck/Tirpitz and Alabama?

Pete

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,400 posts
5,111 battles
2 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Is the Kii any good day in and day out?  I like the looks of it, but then there was a comment seen about some questionable armour function as compared to Amag.  I wonder how it compares to Bismarck/Tirpitz and Alabama?

Pete

It is decent, though doesn't have capabilities that synergize well. It has torpedoes that you will basically never use, particularly if you are staying in the Kii's optimal position (kiting away at medium range). Its armour profile is much worse than Amagi and its guns are less reliable as well. The AA is very strong too of course. Overall it is a weaker ship than Amagi, and doesn't have the same harmony of capabilities that you will find on something like Tirpitz: can't be citadelled, tons of armour, torpedoes, great secondaries, good speed, fast turrets, fast reload on guns = good at brawling.

Kii: decent guns at medium-long range (though a direct downgrade over Amagi), torpedoes, very weak armour, easy-to-hit citadel, poor torpedo defence system, excellent AA = kind of confused? You have torpedoes that you have to close to use, but everything else on the ship tells you to stay back. That would be okay, but Wargaming nerfed the guns to compensate so what you end up with at the end of the day is a worse Amagi in the vast majority of situations.

Members
1,551 posts
8,268 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralPiett said:

It is decent, though doesn't have capabilities that synergize well. It has torpedoes that you will basically never use, particularly if you are staying in the Kii's optimal position (kiting away at medium range). Its armour profile is much worse than Amagi and its guns are less reliable as well. The AA is very strong too of course. Overall it is a weaker ship than Amagi, and doesn't have the same harmony of capabilities that you will find on something like Tirpitz: can't be citadelled, tons of armour, torpedoes, great secondaries, good speed, fast turrets, fast reload on guns = good at brawling.

Kii: decent guns at medium-long range (though a direct downgrade over Amagi), torpedoes, very weak armour, easy-to-hit citadel, poor torpedo defence system, excellent AA = kind of confused? You have torpedoes that you have to close to use, but everything else on the ship tells you to stay back. That would be okay, but Wargaming nerfed the guns to compensate so what you end up with at the end of the day is a worse Amagi in the vast majority of situations.

Hey

That's too bad since it's a great looking ship that is supposed to be a better Amagi.  Guess I will just stay with my Germans, now that a Santa box gave me a Tirpitz/10pt Captain.  I will put my 15pt Graf Spee captain in it, and put the 10pt in the Spee.  I already have a Bismarck with an 18pt, so I will setup Tirpitz a little different.  Thanks for the heads up on Kii.....Merry Christmas AdmiralPiett.

Pete

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,400 posts
5,111 battles
10 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

That's too bad since it's a great looking ship that is supposed to be a better Amagi.  Guess I will just stay with my Germans, now that a Santa box gave me a Tirpitz/10pt Captain.  I will put my 15pt Graf Spee captain in it, and put the 10pt in the Spee.  I already have a Bismarck with an 18pt, so I will setup Tirpitz a little different.  Thanks for the heads up on Kii.....Merry Christmas AdmiralPiett.

Pete

It certainly isn't a bad ship by any stretch of the imagination, just doesn't have that same kind of synergy in design that Tirpitz has. If you really want an IJN BB captain trainer, or have an interest in the Kii-class (like myself), it is worth getting. If you are more focused on using optimal ships, Kii isn't that.

Merry Christmas!

[PT8TO]
Members
277 posts
11,725 battles
5 hours ago, BrandonKF said:

Don't think it was me. But I'm going to chew you up next time we cross paths, Gizuke. I HATE YOUR NORTH CAROLINAS.

HKnDZiN.jpg.67e214f52a5f57ffe61150a23f90fe3b.jpg

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:40 PM, AdmiralPiett said:

This is disappointing, particularly considering that the Kii class was supposed to be a combination of the Tosa and Amagi classes.  You'd think that it would have been at least the equal of a fully upgraded Amagi.  

You'd also think that the devs would do a better job of producing a ship whose abilities synergized better.  After all, even if its armor wasn't the greatest, etc., if its abilities all synergized well, you'd think that it would make for a better ship than one whose abilities don't synergize well.

I've been considering whether to get it during this tech tree premium ship sale, but this doesn't sound so great.

Members
594 posts
4,444 battles
On 12/23/2017 at 1:59 PM, Daro_Khan said:

Is the Kii worth getting/playing even if i cant get the special bundle cameo anymore?

Eh... If you like having surprise torpedoes.

On 1/5/2018 at 2:03 AM, Crucis said:

This is disappointing, particularly considering that the Kii class was supposed to be a combination of the Tosa and Amagi classes.  You'd think that it would have been at least the equal of a fully upgraded Amagi.  

You'd also think that the devs would do a better job of producing a ship whose abilities synergized better.  After all, even if its armor wasn't the greatest, etc., if its abilities all synergized well, you'd think that it would make for a better ship than one whose abilities don't synergize well.

I've been considering whether to get it during this tech tree premium ship sale, but this doesn't sound so great.

It is something I'm having to struggle with.

On 1/3/2018 at 8:38 AM, Gizuke said:

HKnDZiN.jpg.67e214f52a5f57ffe61150a23f90fe3b.jpg

Thanks for being a good sport.

Just last night I got citadeled by... yup, North Carolina.

One shell was enough to come over an island and citadel underneath the bridge.

In fact I ate 12-17k almost every time. Even slightly angled.

I ran, turned around, and then earned 3 CQEs in my Kii, blapping two destroyers and a cruiser, but couldn't reset the cap enough to get the win.

The other player was very chill with my rage, for which I'm grateful. He clued me in where he was aiming, so now I know.

But yes, at 14-17 km, the angle is perfect for those 16 inch US guns to hit citadels for days.

Members
1,551 posts
8,268 battles
On 1/6/2018 at 2:51 AM, BrandonKF said:

Eh... If you like having surprise torpedoes.

It is something I'm having to struggle with.

Thanks for being a good sport.

Just last night I got citadeled by... yup, North Carolina.

One shell was enough to come over an island and citadel underneath the bridge.

In fact I ate 12-17k almost every time. Even slightly angled.

I ran, turned around, and then earned 3 CQEs in my Kii, blapping two destroyers and a cruiser, but couldn't reset the cap enough to get the win.

The other player was very chill with my rage, for which I'm grateful. He clued me in where he was aiming, so now I know.

But yes, at 14-17 km, the angle is perfect for those 16 inch US guns to hit citadels for days.

Hey

To be perfectly honest; the North Carolina is my bain of all ships while in my Bismarck or Tirpitz, it's the one ship that I have much respect for.  There's always that ONE ship!

Pete

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles

Kii Torpedoes should be used to reset distance or pick off a close in nuisance. They have some use just not as useful as on other ships.

Members
1,551 posts
8,268 battles

Hey

One would think that Battleships would have torpedo's of battleship caliber range, at least something on the 8-10 Km range but then I guess there would be so much whining about them being OP, why bother making them useful.

Pete  

Sign in to follow this