You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Goodwood_Alpha

Musings on Santa Crates

55 comments in this topic

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

I didn't take the time to catalogue all of the results of the crates bought this time around, save for premium ships. Got five of them, all from this year's crop of Premiums, and all of them ships I either didn't have the money for at the time, or else didn't really have any interest in, and those were: Mutsu, Perth, Gallant, Leningrad and De Grasse. I did end up with about 12,000 doubloons as well, and quite a lot of very useful flags and camo—this was out of about 40 of the $1 crates, 20 $3, 10 $5, and the two free $1 ones.

This has led me to a bit of a minor epiphany, however.

Basically, it boils down to this: if you bought every (or nearly every) premium when it came out, then you will most likely strike out on the Santa Crates, no matter how they tweak the algorithm—you will only get flags, camo and doubloons. However, if you are like me and only shelled out for those premiums you really, really wanted (the ones you were really looking forward to or else were thought of as "overpowered") and could get, you will most likely fare quite well. There are still a few ships out there on the tech tree for doubloons (and discounted, too!) that the crates haven't netted for me, but the way I see it, there'll be enough time to possibly buy more of them to net me those missing ships, or else enough doubloons to afford them should I so desire.

Which leads to the crux of the argument: the Santa Crates are an excellent end-of-year deal for those of us who can only afford to spend a moderate amount on this game per month, for various reasons, thus enabling us to play catch-up with the big fish and have a bit of fun in the bargain. Whatever the faults may be in this system, and especially in comparison to certain other publishers (here's looking at you, electric farts), it must be said that at least in Wargaming's case, while you may be taking a chance, you are still guaranteed to get what you pay for.

What you receive might not be exactly what you want, but then again, what you were after (with a handful of notable exceptions) is also on sale and you are by no means forced to play the lottery.

• Cool 2

[USCC2]
Members
3,567 posts

Has WG missed a trick?

They could limit the chance of a premium ship, but let people choose the ship if they win. You don't have to change any of the contents presently shown, just make the prize an option. It would still allow those that purchase ships throughout the year, to still want to give it a go (maybe to win that long sought after ship). This probably would have worked for me and brought in more cash(?)

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
334 posts
11,755 battles
25 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Basically, it boils down to this: if you bought every (or nearly every) premium when it came out, then you will most likely strike out on the Santa Crates, no matter how they tweak the algorithm—you will only get flags, camo and doubloons.

You still get ships, you will get the doubloon value of the ship instead.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,246 posts
3,106 battles
15 minutes ago, bremen_ said:

You still get ships, you will get the doubloon value of the ship instead.

I'm not so sure about that. See, I got a 20 pack of those medium Santa crates, and pulled a Kamikaze three crates in. The Kamikaze was the only premium ship I was missing, and after I got it, no more ships appeared in the crates, doubloon value or otherwise. I even got 5 large crates, and the same thing happened. It was all flags, camos, and doubloons. 

Now, maybe I'm just extraordinarily unlucky, but I'm leaning towards the idea that ships simply don't drop after you have them all. If someone would be able to prove me wrong, please do.  

[INTEL]
Members
6,659 posts
25,703 battles

With such a small sample the analysis is meaningless.

I got only one ship so far (Huang Meh). Last year I got 12 Emden. Go figure.

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,124 posts
5,964 battles

I got Alabama; Gallant, Ohkne (something like that, tier 5 Russian DD) and Gullio Caesar and a lot of dubloons, free exp and a total of 210 days worth of premium

[CAST]
Members
1,201 posts
7,372 battles
1 hour ago, RivertheRoyal said:

I'm not so sure about that. See, I got a 20 pack of those medium Santa crates, and pulled a Kamikaze three crates in. The Kamikaze was the only premium ship I was missing, and after I got it, no more ships appeared in the crates, doubloon value or otherwise. I even got 5 large crates, and the same thing happened. It was all flags, camos, and doubloons. 

Now, maybe I'm just extraordinarily unlucky, but I'm leaning towards the idea that ships simply don't drop after you have them all. If someone would be able to prove me wrong, please do.  

It states that if you have all premium ships and one drops, you will get its doubloon value.  If you don't, then it rerolls to one you don't have.  The crates are just not dropping ships like last year.

• Cool 1

Members
1,862 posts
8,826 battles
2 hours ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Basically, it boils down to this: if you bought every (or nearly every) premium when it came out, then you will most likely strike out on the Santa Crates, no matter how they tweak the algorithm—you will only get flags, camo and doubloons. However, if you are like me and only shelled out for those premiums you really, really wanted (the ones you were really looking forward to or else were thought of as "overpowered") and could get, you will most likely fare quite well. There are still a few ships out there on the tech tree for doubloons (and discounted, too!) that the crates haven't netted for me, but the way I see it, there'll be enough time to possibly buy more of them to net me those missing ships, or else enough doubloons to afford them should I so desire.

Which leads to the crux of the argument: the Santa Crates are an excellent end-of-year deal for those of us who can only afford to spend a moderate amount on this game per month, for various reasons, thus enabling us to play catch-up with the big fish and have a bit of fun in the bargain. Whatever the faults may be in this system, and especially in comparison to certain other publishers (here's looking at you, electric farts), it must be said that at least in Wargaming's case, while you may be taking a chance, you are still guaranteed to get what you pay for.

I disagree. I only have about half the ships on the list and only got 3 low tier ships out of $160 worth of crates.. The rest were Camo and Flags were are vastly overvalued by WG, so it is entirely possible to get far less than you paid for. I knew it wasn't a sure thing but I think it is a disservice to say it is guaranteed.

Edited by CaptainTeddybear

Members
3,469 posts
6,170 battles
2 hours ago, RivertheRoyal said:

Several folks have gotten duplicate ships this year and I got 2 Emdens last year (after selling the POS I got for free).  I have bought several boxes and got a total of 0 ships so far.

[WOLF1]
Members
33 posts
3,627 battles
2 hours ago, RivertheRoyal said:

One my first set of Crates set of 5 mid size, I got the Gallant which I didn't have so good for me. On my second set of 5 large, no ship. Went back to mid size got the KII and the Hung He. 3rd mid size I got the Gallant again. 

I believe if you run out of ships to be given you get the Gallant, which is cool since I get a ten point captain with it.  

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles

Just like last year the $3 boxes seem to be the best bang for the bucks.

People do not seem to have noticed that the hated modules are not in the boxes this year (someone will now be along to lament that the lovely modules are not dropping... there will be gnashing of teeth, and rending of garments)

I'm more than happy with the boxes this year. All very useful stuff and enough ships to make it feel worthwhile. Five ships and a sixth bought from the Tech Tree. Got three of the ones I was hoping for, Prinz Eugen, Leningrad, Guilio Cesare. 

Alpha Tester
3,477 posts
1,521 battles
2 hours ago, Murcc said:

It states that if you have all premium ships and one drops, you will get its doubloon value.  If you don't, then it rerolls to one you don't have.  The crates are just not dropping ships like last year.

I don't know about that.  I managed to get 7 ships out of a $106 investment or 40 crates.  That is one out of every 5-6 crates which is about the same drop rate I got last year give or take.  I guess it is possible I just got luckier than many people this year but I can't complain.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,244 posts

So far, I bought one lot of each kind- plus a gift for another player.

20 of the Dollar ones  netted me a Gallant; 900 doubloons; a bunch of useful camos; and fully restocked me on Zulu and Zulu hotel signals.   I got a couple of free xp ones, too.

a 5 pack of the $3 got me Guilio Cesare; HuangHe;  doubloons, and some hydra and dragon flags.

a 5 pack of the biggest ones netted me LOTS of doubloons, Hydra flags, and 90 of the pine tree camos.

the 2 free ones netted me 300 doubloons and 10,000 free xp.

This year, I passed on a lot of premiums, as they just didn't interest me.  De Grasse and some mid tier DD's that flopped kind of soured me on buying more premiums.

I'm kinda looking forward to duplicates- especially US premiums- as I could really use some 10 pt captains, lol.

Quite happy so far!   No "rocks", and lots of stuff I DID want.    I'll definitely be grabbing more.

Beta Testers
86 posts
1,337 battles

From my own personal experience (20 large, 40 med, 22 small) I'd say the drop rate on ships is much lower this year. Last year I got a ton of ships (12-13 maybe?, some were duplicates for gold). This year, with a bit less crates purchased, I only got 5 ships (and only 1-2 from the large crates). What I did get a lot of (a flaming "I-can't-say-it-in-the-forum" ton frankly) were the Frosty Fir Tree camos - 515 of them. Any many dragon flags.

While I certainly got my money's worth from the good crates (ships, 180 days prem time, about 10K gold), I certainly didn't get the value I did last year. And as mentioned, I got a lot of those camos - they're decent, but it definitely got repetitive to get 7 blocks of 30 in 10 crates (and a bit frustrating TBH).

Other stuff:
- 3 of my 5 ships were from supercontainers (so duplicates of something I already had that generated a different ship)
- No ships from the small $1 containers, tho I did get 20K free XP and some gold
- Only 2 types of camos are available, Frosty Fir Tree and Type 59 (rare)

Recommendation:
- Decent deal, not nearly as good as last year though. Purchase only if you can afford it, and expect RNG. :)

Members
2,122 posts

I have over 50 premium ships now... I only needed 11 of them. Your prob right about the more prems you have the less you get out of these. Next year I'm not buying any boxes unless they make them better for people like me. 

I even got prem time last year... This year nothing... I got over 20k doubloons last year.... Only 13k this year. Value has gone way down.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles
1 minute ago, MorbidGamer said:

I have over 50 premium ships now... I only needed 11 of them. Your prob right about the more prems you have the less you get out of these. Next year I'm not buying any boxes unless they make them better for people like me. 

I even got prem time last year... This year nothing... I got over 20k doubloons last year.... Only 13k this year. Value has gone way down.

Lol i spent $260 so far and was way worth. Lots of signals and camos i.needed. But if you have all the premiums your more likely to ger kutuzov/belfast/kamikaze/nikolai/gremy. Since if you get a ship you alteady have it will give you a SC with a ship you dont have. Thats how i got my gremy :))))

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,082 posts
8,964 battles

I struck out last year, getting 1 ship.  I bought 5 of each and free 2 at first.  Got tons of flags, Okt and De Gresse (sp).  I decided to drop another 47 bucks for 20 of the red (favorite color).  Pulled 6k in Doubloons, more flags,  Atago, Arizona, Gallant.  Those three ships in a row. Atago was the deal in that package.  Arizona a surprise and Gallant for a DD player is a bonus.  I'm happy with my spending. 

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,082 posts
8,964 battles
1 minute ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Lol i spent $260 so far and was way worth. Lots of signals and camos i.needed. But if you have all the premiums your more likely to ger kutuzov/belfast/kamikaze/nikolai/gremy. Since if you get a ship you alteady have it will give you a SC with a ship you dont have. Thats how i got my gremy :))))

I want a gremy...

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

It is an odds as well as perspective issue.  In 40 boxes I received four ships, one I didn't even know I was missing in port (for good reason), a Lo Yang and two Okhotniks that I already had (10 point captains are nice though).  The rest were camo's (meh), some special flags (nice), and 180 days premium (very nice), and about 14K doubloons (factoring in the two Okhotniks and the Lo Yang).  I think I spent about a quarter of what I spent last year, and while I'm not disappointed I don't have the urge to buy more. 

My opinion is that this years boxes really were targeted for newer players and judging by the posts I've read so far I expect i will see many more Nikolay's, Gremy's, and Kamakaze's than I usually do.  My most happiest purchase occurred in port when I was finally able to add the Yubari to complete (for now) my collection.  That was better than any of the Santa boxes - so obviously a perspective issue.

Members
2,122 posts
Just now, RiverTheIdiot said:

Well signals and camos don't mean anything to me really. And that's all I got and 11 ships. I wanted prem time... BUT NO! I would have taken doubloons... But only about 11 boxes had it.

So 100 (60 $3 and 40 $5) crates open only 11 gave ships and 11 gave doubloons. All the rest were worthless to me. So 78% of boxes were filler.

3Xdm6ax.png

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles
Just now, MorbidGamer said:

Well signals and camos don't mean anything to me really. And that's all I got and 11 ships. I wanted prem time... BUT NO! I would have taken doubloons... But only about 11 boxes had it.

So 100 (60 $3 and 40 $5) crates open only 11 gave ships and 11 gave doubloons. All the rest were worthless to me. So 78% of boxes were filler.

3Xdm6ax.png

Still..... 11 ships is good for 100 boxes.... i only got three (okhotnik, lo yang, gremy) from 75 so far. (Did get alabama, enterprise, perth, arizona from the doubloons i got) but if signals and camos mean nothing why did you try for containers? These are to help with people starting and trying to grind out the game

Members
2,122 posts
Just now, RiverTheIdiot said:

Still..... 11 ships is good for 100 boxes.... i only got three (okhotnik, lo yang, gremy) from 75 so far. (Did get alabama, enterprise, perth, arizona from the doubloons i got) but if signals and camos mean nothing why did you try for containers? These are to help with people starting and trying to grind out the game

Last year it was about 1 in 3-4 box this year 1 in 10. Because when you can get a $50 ship for $15 like last year it was amazing deal. Now I'm paying more even with a discount. 

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles
1 minute ago, MorbidGamer said:

Last year it was about 1 in 3-4 box this year 1 in 10. Because when you can get a $50 ship for $15 like last year it was amazing deal. Now I'm paying more even with a discount. 

And you do realize that 75% of the ships last year where emdens? Have you seen a single person complain about that no. You cant get all pissy and say (THERE ISNT ENOUGH SHIPS!!!) cuz hey ill glady swap you 50 emdens for ships that are garenteed to be tier 5+ which evidently. Are worth a lot more in vaule.

Members
3,469 posts
6,170 battles
3 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

And you do realize that 75% of the ships last year where emdens?

I got 2 of those POS ships last year after I sold the original one I got for free...