You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Taking advantage of free respec, need Fletcher advice

60 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,226 posts
8,853 battles

I'm starting to play my Fletcher more and am actually getting more comfortable (and dare I say better?) with it. Recently, I came in on top of a winning team in a match and just now I held my own on another winning team, taking out a radar ship and capping early on and even receiving an in-game "well done!" by a couple of teammates.

If I'm going to get serious about DD play, I probably need to also get serious about properly speccing out my DD's commanders. Currently, my Fletcher has a 17-point commander. Here's what I'm thinking of running and some possible alternates.

One Point Skills

Priority Target (? -- Preventative Maintenance)

Two Point Skills

Adrenaline Rush (? -- Last Stand, Smoke Screen Expert)

Three Point Skills

Survivability Expert (? -- Torpedo Armament Expertise, Basic Firing Training, Superintendent, Demolition Expert) 

Four Point Skills

Inertial Fuse for HE Shells, Concealment Expert (? -- Advanced Firing Training, Radio Location)

How do you all have your Fletcher commanders spec'd out? 

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,387 battles
16 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I'm starting to play my Fletcher more and am actually getting more comfortable (and dare I say better?) with it. Recently, I came in on top of a winning team in a match and just now I held my own on another winning team, taking out a radar ship and capping early on and even receiving an in-game "well done!" by a couple of teammates.

If I'm going to get serious about DD play, I probably need to also get serious about properly speccing out my DD's commanders. Currently, my Fletcher has a 17-point commander. Here's what I'm thinking of running and some possible alternates.

One Point Skills

Two Point Skills

Three Point Skills

Survivability Expert (? -- Torpedo Armament Expertise, Basic Firing Training, Superintendent, Demolition Expert) 

Four Point Skills

Inertial Fuse for HE Shells, Concealment Expert (? -- Advanced Firing Training, Radio Location)

Well Snarg you know I'm a BB player so don't get any of those so it'll be easier for me to attempt to shoot you as buzz around me like an angry hornet!

[NDA]
Supertester
4,836 posts
13,778 battles

This is My Fletcher Captain build. 

hJvgea0.jpg

This is also my Benson Captain build. It has helped me win Rank with my Benson and gotten me through some major battles. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles

remember, you have to be half dead for adrenaline rush to cover the benefit that BFT gives you. yes you may get a slight faster torp reload if you are almost dead.  but if you are full health ...its a completely wasted perk. 

Always take a perk that always benefits you. Not one that "might" benefit you. Adrenaline Rush is the biggest con in the game.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[-DPF-]
Members
769 posts
8,214 battles
22 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

remember, you have to be half dead for adrenaline rush to cover the benefit that BFT gives you. yes you may get a slight faster torp reload if you are almost dead.  but if you are full health ...its a completely wasted perk. 

Always take a perk that always benefits you. Not one that "might" benefit you. Adrenaline Rush is the biggest con in the game.

I disagree.  Adrenaline Rush is great for BBs as they tank a lot of damage and have very slow reloads, which BFT doesn't help.  Now on a DD where BFT will help, AR may not be the ideal choice.  I would guess that taking both AR and BFT might be worth it on some of the Soviet gunships for instance.  You will take damage, and your guns have to do all of the work.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
54 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Completely disagree.

AR is the only captain skill that will improve main battery and one of two that will increase torp reload. It's fantastic especially on the Fletcher.

One, you're that much harder to beat in a gun duel.

Two, if you take damage from either bullying other DDs, random BB AP [edited] etc, then you turn into a torp fountain.

Keep in mind, the only time AR didn't help is when you don't take damage.  That's incredibly rare. In those games you spend the entire game with your guns in the fight so you should do fine.

AR is one of the most point efficient talents in the game. Outside of "must have" like last stand.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,824 posts
9,566 battles

1. PT

2. AR, LS

3. SE, then your choice of BFT, SI, Torp Reload.

4. CE and RPF. Don't bother with IFHE as 127mm doesn't benefit enough at T10 for it to matter.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,595 posts
18,173 battles
59 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

Free respec?

It resets all your captain skills. Normally it costs doubloons or free xp to do so. The ability to reset them all and start over at no cost is a really good thing.

[PSP]
Members
6,226 posts
8,853 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

Don't bother with IFHE as 127mm doesn't benefit enough at T10 for it to matter.

I was wondering about this. I'll have to do some calculations and look at some ships' armors.

[PSP]
Members
6,226 posts
8,853 battles

OK, it seems that the fore and aft decks of most tier IX and X cruisers are 27 mm, which can be penetrated by 127 mm IFHE but not HE. However, do I really want to be firing my guns at a cruiser?

This brings up another conundrum I've been having with the Fletcher. Should I try to spec it out as a gunboat, torpedo boat, or a general-purpose combination of the two? 

[BWC]
Members
742 posts
4,158 battles

Fletcher is one of the best DD's since it can both be good as torpedo and gun boat, making it a force to reckon with. 

Don't forget to get the upgrades as well.

First 10 points: PT (good alternative is PM, but i like to be aware of the fact that i'm being targeted rather than have 30% less mod incap, you will get PM eventually for the last points), LS (mandatory for any DD, and certainly pick this before AR), Third row i would pick torpedo armament expertise (upgraded fletcher torps are great and faster reload is higher damage). Good alternatives in third row would be BFT en dem expert. SI is good but you can use premium consumables, and SE is less good that it would seem (3000 hp is nice but when you're being targeted it's one, maybe two salvos you will survive longer). Fourth row is CE obviously. (Only pick IFHE for guns of 150's mm caliber, only DD that benefits afaik is the akizuki?)

So start with PT, then LS, then TAE, then CE for 10 points. Next points is personal: BFT, Dem E, AR, PM for 19 points in total. 

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

One Point Skills

Two Point Skills

Three Point Skills

Four Point Skills

This is my build for both Fletcher and Gearing, gives optimized guns and maxed torps:

First row: Priority target and Preventative Maintenance.

Second row: Adrenaline Rush and Last Stand

Third row: Survivability Expert, Torpedo Armament Expertise and BFT

Fourth row: Concealment

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
6 hours ago, Nhi_Vanye said:

I disagree.  Adrenaline Rush is great for BBs as they tank a lot of damage and have very slow reloads, which BFT doesn't help.  Now on a DD where BFT will help, AR may not be the ideal choice.  I would guess that taking both AR and BFT might be worth it on some of the Soviet gunships for instance.  You will take damage, and your guns have to do all of the work.

The thread is about the Fletcher.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

The Fletcher Captain recommendations on the wiki only give IFHE shells 1 star out of 3.

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
6 hours ago, Grizley said:

Completely disagree.

AR is the only captain skill that will improve main battery and one of two that will increase torp reload. It's fantastic especially on the Fletcher.

One, you're that much harder to beat in a gun duel.

Two, if you take damage from either bullying other DDs, random BB AP [edited] etc, then you turn into a torp fountain.

Keep in mind, the only time AR didn't help is when you don't take damage.  That's incredibly rare. In those games you spend the entire game with your guns in the fight so you should do fine.

AR is one of the most point efficient talents in the game. Outside of "must have" like last stand.

It actually isn't, just everyone says it is or thinks it is. Take a hard look at a quality game with a dd. You may have 200 hits with guns over the course of the game, then see what your average damage per hit is.....maybe 180 or 200. The majority of the hits are shatters. A typical knife fight with another dd may last for 2-3 salvos before one breaks off or gets deleted by a cruiser who jumps in the engagement. That .2 seconds you may be shaving of your gun load isn't going to make a difference....50% miss, 25% shatter and 25% hit......are the two points in AR really worth a negligible "perceived" increase in dps or reload time? no.

As for torps, yes if you are half dead or more you can save quite a bit of time on reload say 10 seconds, but the simple reality of the game is that you almost never are in the position to have quality targets to fire them at every time they come available. Usually you are working yourself into a position to maximize their use. The only time AR helps here as if you are close to death. 

so again, in both cases AR is a situation benefit at best. And provides absolutely no advantage at the start of the game. Make less mistakes and you never need AR. Personal skill will overcome the negligible help that AR provided in that DD knife fight every time.

BFT gives you the same buff that AR does when you have lost 50% of your health but you get to use it at the start of the game....

Take two completely evenly skilled dds that fire at each other at the same time, same amount of guns same everything. the one with BFT will beat the one without BFT every time.

My point is with AR and dd's, it is no where as useful as many think it is. And if you keep your nose clean, it's a complete waste of two points.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,824 posts
9,566 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

OK, it seems that the fore and aft decks of most tier IX and X cruisers are 27 mm, which can be penetrated by 127 mm IFHE but not HE. However, do I really want to be firing my guns at a cruiser?

This brings up another conundrum I've been having with the Fletcher. Should I try to spec it out as a gunboat, torpedo boat, or a general-purpose combination of the two? 

Torp boat. Gun builds died with 6.3.

[WOLF4]
Members
403 posts
5,407 battles

What about the modules. I love my fletcher and have usually used the main gun reload over the torp reload and used BFT as well, but I’m not sure now. Which build is better: pure torp reload, gun reload, or a mix of both. I do have a 19 pt captain for it

[TNG]
[TNG]
Members
277 posts
15,047 battles
4 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

What about the modules. I love my fletcher and have usually used the main gun reload over the torp reload and used BFT as well, but I’m not sure now. Which build is better: pure torp reload, gun reload, or a mix of both. I do have a 19 pt captain for it

Longer AA and torp reload...81 second reload is sick

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,404 posts
3,583 battles

I would not take AR before LS .

PT 

LS 

SE 

CE 

after 10 points. It will depend on wether you are going Gearing or not.

Torpedo reload is the way to go with Fletcher.

Torpedo reload perk and module IMO

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts

Here's what I use on my Fletcher/Kidd Captain and why:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000001001010000100010000119

Tier 1

PM: I don't like the other T1's and use PM Exclusively on all builds except for CV's. PM is vital because it keeps your guns talking, which is a Fletchers/KIdd's primary asset, and likewise reduces knockouts of your torps and thus wasting time on reloads (nothing worse than being 2 seconds from a reload and having a shot to the torps cause you to wait another 2 minutes).

I know many people like Priority Target but I'm yet to see it be useful. IMO if you don't assume you are being shot at all times, you are doing something wrong, and likewise if you are traveling straight long enough to be HIT by something fired that far away, well frankly getting an alert is not what's going to save you. PT is even less useful on DD's who should be, more or less, 100% in control of the engagement. I.E., a DD decides when it is spotted, using both speed and concealment and smoke (and map awareness) to ensure it decides when it is spotted, not the other way around.

Tier 2

SSE: I like this because if I am to sit still in smoke (relatively still actually) having that bigger spot makes a torp wall that much more ineffective. And since few seem to take it, most don't account for the size difference and you can gain some free space at the edge. Also, the USN has the best smoke so maximizing it's size is not a bad thing.

LS: Last stand should be required for DD's. Even with PM, you want to make sure WHEN your engines/rudder get taken down, it is more or less meaningless. IMO this is the most Overpowered perk in the game as it essentially negates two whole game mechanics.

Tier 3

DE: DE is vital to a Fletcher/Kidd captain as your guns are your asset and anything that increases fire chance is vital. I suggest running the Witherer flag as well.

SE: Why SE over TAE? Because your job in a Flectcher/Kidd/Gearing is not torping first, it's hunting DD's. And any any advantage you gain over them, is vital. And for the Kidd, SE is top tier, as health restored by Heals is based on a % from base health. Raising base health raises how much the Kidd's heal, heals, and thus works even moreso in your favor and tankiness

No SI? Well the reason is that I don't find myself needing 3 Smokes or Speeds that often. The smoke on USN lasts so long that you rarely find the time to use all 3 if you play smart and don't sit still in smoke 3/4's of the game. This is especially true if you combine the rolls I feel the Fletcher most excels at: DD hunter and HorseFly, where getting the attention and drawing the fire from enemies is the POINT. The only reason I and some, may take SI over SE is to gain a 4th charge of Heals for the Kidd, but the excess health granted per charge from SE almost equals the excess health from a 4th charge of Heals and does so passively and with no cooldown.

Tier 4

CE: Obviously should always be on a DD. Stealth is vital and anything in a DD hunter that gets you first spotting is top tier importance

IFHE: This one and SE are the most contentious, I'm sure, of what I use on my Kidd/Fletcher captain. Personally, again as a hardcore DD hunter, I *need* IFHE as I will find myself, in the process of hunting DD's, being in gun duels with CA's much of the time. As such, gaining the ability to damage their entire hulls with HE is vital to survival and keeps CA's at bay when they start to notice big chunks of health coming off their bow.

Likewise, if you are blessed to be top tier, it lets you damage T7 BB's entire hulls. Not an unsubstantial thing and, frankly, the other T4 perks just don't offer much to  DD hunter like a Fletcher. Maybe Radio Locator but I don't like it as it announces to everyone that I am there looking for them, and even to a degree where I am (based on whose closest)

Edited by _RC1138