You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NeutralState

Indianapolis Though...

34 comments in this topic

[NUWES]
Members
2,022 posts
6,515 battles
8 hours ago, YamatoA150 said:

I feel Indianapolis could do with more range but slightly shorter duration; somewhere between USN Radar and VMF Radar, if not outright VMF Radar. It would make her a workable radar picket ship alongside ships better able to capitalize on what she lights up temporarily.

I partially agree.I play Indy a ton. Her problem is she has a mishmash of traits which don't work well together. None of the T7 cruisers are renowned for durability but her radar forces her to try to get in closer, but she isn't stealthy enough to do that well and she can't get enough shots in during the radar duration to make it particularly worthwhile, unlike Des Moines, Baltimore and New Orleans. 

Russian radar range would work, but as I recall the duration is even shorter.  That just makes her slow ROF into even more of an issue. Also, She doesn't hit DDs well at 11km. The other problem is her detection is simply too high. It is a significantly smaller ship than Myoko but its detection is significantly higher for no particular reason.  Things she wants to spot with radar also can see her coming and run away due to the difference between her radar range and her detection range. She needs a reload that is a couple of seconds faster and a surface detection range (fully buffed) closer to 10km (or a bit lower than that) than it is now. 

That being said, I'm pretty sure that Indy will get some improvements when the American cruiser line gets redone in 2018. The American cruiser line has been in the game since the beginning and the game has evolved differently than they expected when they created it. They've done some revamping of the numbers, but the split will force them to do a comprehensive reevaluation taking the current state of the game into account. 

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
On 12/20/2017 at 9:42 PM, NeutralState said:

Played a few games in Indianapolis, remembered why the ship's been sitting in the dock forever.

Honestly its a good ship if the MM doesnt f*ck you over. Tier 5-7 it does well, tier 8s you gotta stay away from though. I dont know why people are complaining about it all the time, its been buffed significantly.

[TLOD]
Members
263 posts
9 hours ago, YamatoA150 said:

I feel Indianapolis could do with more range but slightly shorter duration; somewhere between USN Radar and VMF Radar, if not outright VMF Radar. It would make her a workable radar picket ship alongside ships better able to capitalize on what she lights up temporarily.

That Thing got 16.9 km range, how much more do you want? She outranges every other upgrated US Cruiser, without the range module at t9,10 of course.

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,187 battles

Want to make her different? 

Giver better armor, let her stand up and brawl better. It would make her the opposite of Atlanta, slower reload but tanky as hell.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,500 posts
2,090 battles
2 hours ago, atPrick__ said:

Want to make her different? 

Giver better armor, let her stand up and brawl better. It would make her the opposite of Atlanta, slower reload but tanky as hell.

She's already got great armor, in terms of thickness. The issue is, like most USN cruisers, the volume of the hull the belt actually protects is rather small - in fact, the magazine armor is typically just a box around the magazine.

Her citadel protection is pretty impressive - the belt is 100mm abreast the machinery spaces, and 146mm abreast the magazine, with a 63mm main deck... But as mentioned before, if you look at the in-game armor viewer... It just doesn't cover much of the ship's volume. This means it really doesn't protect the hull itself from penetration for the most part... Which is key to defending against BB fire.

Alpha Tester
7,112 posts
3,722 battles
14 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

I partially agree.I play Indy a ton. Her problem is she has a mishmash of traits which don't work well together. None of the T7 cruisers are renowned for durability but her radar forces her to try to get in closer, but she isn't stealthy enough to do that well and she can't get enough shots in during the radar duration to make it particularly worthwhile, unlike Des Moines, Baltimore and New Orleans. 

Russian radar range would work, but as I recall the duration is even shorter.  That just makes her slow ROF into even more of an issue. Also, She doesn't hit DDs well at 11km. The other problem is her detection is simply too high. It is a significantly smaller ship than Myoko but its detection is significantly higher for no particular reason.  Things she wants to spot with radar also can see her coming and run away due to the difference between her radar range and her detection range. She needs a reload that is a couple of seconds faster and a surface detection range (fully buffed) closer to 10km (or a bit lower than that) than it is now. 

That being said, I'm pretty sure that Indy will get some improvements when the American cruiser line gets redone in 2018. The American cruiser line has been in the game since the beginning and the game has evolved differently than they expected when they created it. They've done some revamping of the numbers, but the split will force them to do a comprehensive reevaluation taking the current state of the game into account. 

I think that the lines should all be more in line with the French Cruisers.

After the USN Cruiser split and rework the KM and IJN line need overhauls as well. Adjustments to turret traverse rates and range seem to be in store for Japan and a variety changes for the Germans between 5-8.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,097 posts
3,895 battles

I do what I see radar cruisers do every game: I find a rock between two caps and go there, use the rock as cover, and give my teammates ample warning before I radar both caps at once.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I've played her a bit more between Cleveland and Atlanta trying to train up mister seagal. Had reasonable luck with her- I think. I think she plays out well just hitting from a distance until things die down a bit- once the herd is thinned out and she can close to caps with radar support- less likely to take a face full of 15-16" madness. Trying to push her in to support cap with radar at the start is almost always suicide.

Or you hide behind an island with all your guns masked while you hope for your team to do anything. That can work of course but it's a real dice roll. 

Edited by ENO75