You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NeutralState

Indianapolis Though...

34 comments in this topic

[BTH]
Beta Testers
198 posts
4,666 battles

Literally did the exact same thing last game. She doesn't do much for me, just have her due to last years Secret Santa.

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles

Nose up, give nothing but front. Like an Iowa, and push them. If it's a DD u have your WG toys, if it's a Cruiser get gud and shoot AP. 

If it's a BB wth are you doing...

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,180 posts
11,693 battles
17 minutes ago, atPrick__ said:

Nose up, give nothing but front. Like an Iowa, and push them. If it's a DD u have your WG toys, if it's a Cruiser get gud and shoot AP. 

I'm sure you have a point, but I don't know what it is.  Indianapolis sucks.

[SIM]
Members
2,539 posts
4,182 battles
1 minute ago, crzyhawk said:

She’s limited, her gimmick is marginal, and at the end of the day you could have done just as much more easily in another Tier VII cruiser. 

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles
5 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

No argument.

But.

She can be played.

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles

It's Des Moines.

If you hate Indi, you will dislike Des Moines....

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,916 battles
21 minutes ago, atPrick__ said:

It's Des Moines.

Agree. But then you can hate the Yorck but love the Hindenburg.

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles
1 minute ago, Erebthoron said:

Agree. But then you can hate the Yorck but love the Hindenburg.

Hindy is so much more... 

Indy IS Des Moines, with less range. Hindy is something else entirely.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,180 battles
1 hour ago, atPrick__ said:

No argument.

But.

She can be played.

is there even an "unplayable" ship? I mean... there are people who find Katori lovely.

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles

No... 

Not really, WG isn't stupid. Any Premium can be played, you dropped money and WG knows you did. She can be, just like Atlanta. Is it hard yeah, it ain't easy. 

Find a way, Atlanta is the same, both boats are similar.

Like I said, Des Moines is THE SAME with better range and RoF. But you play them the same, or very similar.

It's a crapboat, learn to play it.

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles

Indi has insane front armor, two guns on the front. Toe up and fight, or kite and run. 

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,745 posts
3,490 battles

Indy has to be played like a Pensacola. She cannot take a hit, but she can certainly dish it out. You just have to be ultra careful and not tangle with BBs very often.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,150 posts
14,555 battles
On 12/20/2017 at 6:50 PM, atPrick__ said:

I do shoot AP.  It perforates Indianapolis galore, regardless of her angle.  Her "armor" just ensures I get more penetrations instead of non-pens.

Pensacola also has more guns than Indianapolis.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,071 battles

I got Indianapolis in a Christmas crate last year. Playing her was torture. 

The buff to her radar range to 9.9 km is significant. So was the buff to her Concealment. The rate of fire buff not so much but still good. Her AA is strong. The HE drifts over mountains and lights fires. The AP will wreck other cruisers dumb enough to show you broadside. Anything’s AP will wreck you. 

If it sounds like a Des Moines... it’s nowhere near as powerful. Still, I’m learning how to play Indianapolis now. 

Members
54 posts
2,987 battles

The ship is actually pretty good if you play it correctly and its a bit hard if you have never payed american ships (something I had to learn).

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles

I find the Indy to be a bit of a contradiction. Like more mid- or high-tier cruisers, you want to stand off a bit so you have time to avoid incoming fire. As with nearly all US cruisers, her lack of torpedoes is also a big reason to avoid knife fights. However, you have to get close for her radar to be of any use.

So, it puts players in the situation where they have to decide if they want to play a normal US CA or play against her strengths to use the radar gimmick.

At least her AA is better than the Pensacola...

[MIA-A]
Members
2,115 posts
6,790 battles
On 12/20/2017 at 9:16 PM, atPrick__ said:

It's Des Moines.

That mean a DM captain works well?

I don't have EM on my Des Moines captain, which I assume would be rough on the Indi.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,491 posts
3,435 battles

I feel Indianapolis could do with more range but slightly shorter duration; somewhere between USN Radar and VMF Radar, if not outright VMF Radar. It would make her a workable radar picket ship alongside ships better able to capitalize on what she lights up temporarily.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

indy already gets DM's radar.   the issue is that   Indy is really too fragile to get that close since it doesn't have the conceal. (10.9km conceal max i believe)       it is also very squishy.     This makes them much tougher to use than NO.    

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,745 posts
3,490 battles

Yes, a big issue she has is the need to be close for radar with such a fragile hull.

The other part of her problem with her Radar is she can only get off a maximum of two salvos per use, meaning she has to rely on her team finish off spotted targets. This isn't a very reliable method, and can really bite her with the exposure required to create that opportunity.

• Cool 1

[GT99]
Members
150 posts
5,468 battles
8 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Yes, a big issue she has is the need to be close for radar with such a fragile hull.

The other part of her problem with her Radar is she can only get off a maximum of two salvos per use, meaning she has to rely on her team finish off spotted targets. This isn't a very reliable method, and can really bite her with the exposure required to create that opportunity.

/\

this is a problem

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles

She is squishy if you put yourself in position to get squished. Just like Des Moines.

You have to pick your spots, not every shot is a good one. Does she suck, yeah for the most part she does. Just like Atlanta if you don't put yourself in the absolute best position to fire you will get wrecked and sometimes that means you will have crapdamage/kill/production games. Just like Atlanta, just like Des.