You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Warspawned

Free Holiday Commander Respec! Where You've Put The Points and Why?

36 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,780 posts
4,642 battles
1 hour ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

What i'm saying is that in my example in 100 cases in which your module would have been destroyed with the numbers I used in my example, you'd only notice a difference in 3 out of 100 games. Yes, I know it is 30% reduction of the previous chance, but I'm saying that isn't as much as most people think when they hear "30%". They may be expecting 30 out of 100 hits, and that's not how it works. 

The base destruction rate was 10%, not 100%.  In your example of 100 cases, the un-aided module would be destroyed 10 times, not 100 times (Edit: Which is not what he was saying, apology below).  The aided module would die 7 times.  The three times the aided module lives is a 30% improvement over the base 10%.

Or, if the un-aided module is going to die 100 times (100% chance of destruction), the aided module will only die 70 times, not 97 times.

You're right.  I agreed you're right.  Why are you arguing the point?

Edited by Fishrokk
Corrected my own stupid.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
15 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

The base destruction rate was 10%, not 100%.  In your example of 100 cases, the un-aided module would be destroyed 10 times, not 100 times.  The aided module would die 7 times.  The three times the aided module lives is a 30% improvement over the base 10%.

Or, if the un-aided module is going to die 100 times (100% chance of destruction), the aided module will only die 70 times, not 97 times.

You're right.  I agreed you're right.  Why are you arguing the point?

I'm not arguing the point, from my perspective YOU are.

I'm fully aware of how it works, and you've stated as much. I'm simply saying that most people are over-estimating the effect that this 30% will have because they are mistakenly basing it on (as you say) a base of 100. That's my only point. People see 30% but don't realize what that really means.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,780 posts
4,642 battles
33 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

I'm not arguing the point, from my perspective YOU are.

I'm fully aware of how it works, and you've stated as much. I'm simply saying that most people are over-estimating the effect that this 30% will have because they are mistakenly basing it on (as you say) a base of 100. That's my only point. People see 30% but don't realize what that really means.

Sorry - I had a minor reading comprehension failure on your post that I quoted just above.

Mea culpa!

[WOLF7]
Members
11,039 posts
22 hours ago, Warspawned said:

Ok, so I'm wanting some opinions from veterans here about some of the options and why they're chosen.  Let's start off by saying everyone in my reserve is getting reset....yay!  We can change them as needed down the road...

Let's assume a 10pt Captain at the helm.  Definitely include caveats such as "with DD's I'll grab Survivability but with BB's I have to grab Superintendant"

For me...I'm been neglecting Priority Target for most builds...I'm paranoid I guess!  I assume when I see Detected that there's incoming...so I mostly pick Preventive Maintenance.  That 30% reduction to my engines/props and main damage modules from being knocked out seems to be a no-brainer.  I seem to be in the minority here at the first skill choice (especially when it seems Preventive Maintenance seems to work in synergy so well with Last Stand).

Any input here is so helpful! What skills belong together (Expert Rear Gunner and Evasive Maneuver, but was told to drop the last because I couldn't re-strike as fast.  Hmm...why not let my CV returns float a bit and give a huge HP bonus as my AA ships and fighters roll in...?)

Thanks!  

<S!> War

Now's the time to experiment, see what works. With free demounts as well, it's the perfect time to try builds you wanted too, but didn't want to waste the dubloons.

[SPTR]
Members
128 posts
4,637 battles

I think a big advantage of priority target is letting you know when some thing has you hard locked (tho not necessarily shooting) that you cannot see.

With a given situation that can give you a better clue that a ship may be just on the other side of that island you are about to come around, or that some torps might be headed in your direction soon.

It is certainly not the end all be all, but it has its uses beyond reinforcing that the random BB with its guns pointed at you is likely going to shoot them at you.

[LEGIT]
Members
1,532 posts
23,431 battles

I know it's posted somewhere, but when does this opportunity end?

Gonna try surviveability on my NC and may not want to be stuck with it.

Members
82 posts
1,305 battles
2 hours ago, Garrcia said:

I think a big advantage of priority target is letting you know when some thing has you hard locked (tho not necessarily shooting) that you cannot see.

Personally...I'm thinking PT is a buff for the other side, lol!  Try it yourself with no guns ready, no torps...move mains to something *poof^

Should it be coded to only include available weapons?

Members
82 posts
1,305 battles
15 hours ago, awiggin said:

Now's the time to experiment, see what works. With free demounts as well, it's the perfect time to try builds you wanted too, but didn't want to waste the dubloons.

Heh...I’ve spent sooo many gold pieces 

[WOLF7]
Members
11,039 posts
19 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

I know it's posted somewhere, but when does this opportunity end?

Gonna try surviveability on my NC and may not want to be stuck with it.

A 100% discount on resetting Commander Skills and demounting upgrades!

Discount Start: Dec 20 03:20 PT (06:20 ET)
Discount End: Dec 25 03:20 PT (06:20 ET)

Edited by awiggin

[WOLF9]
Members
7,948 posts
3,407 battles

Guys in Reserve I left completely unskilled.

Guys in botes I aligned to the skills recommended in the Wiki.  That usually includes Priority Target.  (Sometimes PM on the more fragile ships.)

One issue is what to do with the captain with one unused point?  If you use it now (say for PM or High Alert) rather than wait for the point(s) for higher level skill, it will cost Gold then to re-use it.  But from what I've seen, this sale is once a year...

[SYN]
Members
729 posts
7,538 battles

It gave me the excuse to transfer between Cleveland and Baltimore. I put my 17 point commander on the Baltimore and replaced him with a 14 point captain. 

The Baltimore is PT, EM. SI, DE, CE, and 4 points. AA range is really abysmal, but I see few CVs. I hope to not need my secondaries. 

The Cleveland is PT, EM, DE, IFHE, and CE. THat should last until I get the Dallas.  I am flush with CA captains for T 6-8. I will be short-handed for qualified CL captains.