Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

How to correctly use your horn

30 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

4,717
[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings all,

 

Now that we all have horns, it is imperative that you know how to give a proper salute.

 

Most salutes are 1 long blast followed by 2 short blasts, a formal salute is 2 long blasts and 2 short blasts. Less common are 3 long blasts or 3 short blasts.

 

Here are some examples....

 

 

Enjoy using your new horns! :Smile_honoring:

  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,710
[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Bwaaaaaaa!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,641
[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,996 battles

How to correctly use horn:

Step 1 - immediately exhaust horn upon loading in.

Step 2 - wait for horn to reload. Ignore combat mechanics - they are secondary to horn use.

Step 3 - blast horn again the moment it refills.

Repeat steps 2 through 3 until ship sinks.

Congratulations. You have mastered the horn!

IaZrhkO.gif

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38
[WOLF4]
Members
106 posts
4,220 battles

Ah, those are mostly lakers... or lake freighters here on the Great Lakes.  Really cool seeing them when they're sailing by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,224
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,665 posts
9,053 battles
2 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

Ah, those are mostly lakers... or lake freighters here on the Great Lakes.  Really cool seeing them when they're sailing by.

Correct, they are passing through the Duluth entry and being a Great Lake most of the shipping is inter lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
976
Members
4,561 posts
6,492 battles

When do you use a regular salute as opposed to a formal salute? Is there a series of blasts that mean you are a dumbazz?  Not you OP this is for use in the game. :Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,110
[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,852 posts
4,744 battles

Torpedo them with your Scharnhorst torps...stroll by their burning sinking corpse....blast horn. 

 

 

f3291f37340b81d6913cc19770731b65--jw-funny-funny-jokes.jpg

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles

Is it just me, or is the Santa ho ho ho really creepy? He sounds like the zombie clown of mall Santas. 

Edited by inktomi19d
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
404
[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,141 battles

1) Friendly toot to warn cruiser he's about to hit you.

2) full blast as he keeps coming

3) old ship horn as he hits you, still oblivious

 

Maybe he had it turned off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
159
[RTXN]
Beta Testers
622 posts

Um....no

I suggest you brush up on your rules of the road - suggest the USCG website.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=Rule34

(c) A vessel not under command, a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver ‹‹ whether underway or at anchor ››, ‹ a vessel constrained by her draft › , a sailing vessel, a vessel engaged in fishing and a vessel engaged in towing or pushing another vessel shall, instead of the signals prescribed in Rule 35(a) or (b), sound at intervals of not more than 2 minutes three blasts in succession, namely one prolonged followed by two short blasts.

(c) When in sight of one another in a narrow channel or fairway:
 (i) a vessel intending to overtake another shall in compliance with Rule 9(e)(i) indicate her intention by the following signals on her whistle:

two prolonged blasts followed by one short blast to mean "I intend to overtake you on your starboard side"
–two prolonged blasts followed by two short blasts to mean "I intend to overtake you on your port side".

 (ii) the vessel about to be overtaken when acting in accordance with Rule 9(e)(i) shall indicate her agreement by the following signal on her whistle:

one prolonged, one short, one prolonged and one short blast, in that order.

Three short blasts is I am operating astern propulsion,  the other vessel is answering back with 3 short blasts - only in Inland waters however.

The one this game needs to have as a hotkey is 5 or more short blasts - DANGER SIGNAL!!!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,717
[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
12 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Um....no

I suggest you brush up on your rules of the road - suggest the USCG website.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=Rule34

(c) A vessel not under command, a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver ‹‹ whether underway or at anchor ››, ‹ a vessel constrained by her draft › , a sailing vessel, a vessel engaged in fishing and a vessel engaged in towing or pushing another vessel shall, instead of the signals prescribed in Rule 35(a) or (b), sound at intervals of not more than 2 minutes three blasts in succession, namely one prolonged followed by two short blasts.

(c) When in sight of one another in a narrow channel or fairway:
 (i) a vessel intending to overtake another shall in compliance with Rule 9(e)(i) indicate her intention by the following signals on her whistle:

two prolonged blasts followed by one short blast to mean "I intend to overtake you on your starboard side"
–two prolonged blasts followed by two short blasts to mean "I intend to overtake you on your port side".

 (ii) the vessel about to be overtaken when acting in accordance with Rule 9(e)(i) shall indicate her agreement by the following signal on her whistle:

one prolonged, one short, one prolonged and one short blast, in that order.

Three short blasts is I am operating astern propulsion,  the other vessel is answering back with 3 short blasts - only in Inland waters however.

The one this game needs to have as a hotkey is 5 or more short blasts - DANGER SIGNAL!!!

You obviously did not watch the video. We are taking about salutes. I've lived most of my adult life in the twin ports. Im no fool.

  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
159
[RTXN]
Beta Testers
622 posts

 

21 minutes ago, dseehafer said:

You obviously did not watch the video. We are taking about salutes. I've lived most of my adult life in the twin ports. Im no fool.

11 years on the bridge of a DD in the Navy.  Had to take a rules of the nautical road exam every 6 months.  

This was no joke to me.

 

Sound signals were NEVER used to salute.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,717
[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
39 minutes ago, jmanII said:

 

11 years on the bridge of a DD in the Navy.  Had to take a rules of the nautical road exam every 6 months.  

This was no joke to me.

 

Sound signals were NEVER used to salute.

Well they are obviously used to salute among commercial shipping in the very least. Even ocean liners salute one another with their horns when passing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,307 posts
21,107 battles

I expend the whole horn when I'm in my BB coming around a corner and get a chance to ram a DD sitting there.  It could happen....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,266
[PVE]
Members
5,624 posts
18,228 battles
9 hours ago, inktomi19d said:

Is it just me, or is the Santa ho ho ho really creepy? He sounds like the zombie clown of mall Santas. 

LOL there is one canned message from him that really is kinda sick. Thought it was just me or that maybe it got garbled but good to know I wasn't hearing things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[WFR]
Members
433 posts
9 hours ago, jmanII said:

 

11 years on the bridge of a DD in the Navy.  Had to take a rules of the nautical road exam every 6 months.  

This was no joke to me.

 

Sound signals were NEVER used to salute.

Thanks for the word on this, some destroyer command staff to set the fleet straight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,752
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

I really hope they keep this, but get rid of the whole santa ho ho ho thing and the jingles... the horn is pretty cool, and with the option to turn it off and with the recharge, it shouldn't be much of a problem. And like OP says, its great for saluting players in battle. I've already used it once to salute a friendly atlanta who helped kill an enemy DD that was making a bee-line for a friendly transport ship in the new operation. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,231
[WOLF3]
Members
6,465 posts
2,405 battles
48 minutes ago, SomemuttupNorth said:

What is the control to use the horn again? A button command? 

The N key.   Don't ask me why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
595
[PVE]
Members
1,607 posts
6,759 battles

Kinda hoping that we all do not talk about that Horn to much and perhaps it will silently get forgotten about.  Was in battle earlier and someone mentioned in chat about the horn and immediately everyone which was most everyone, lit up wanting to know how to use it, thankfully the over whelming questions about it were met with nothing but crickets....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38
[WOLF4]
Members
106 posts
4,220 battles
On 12/20/2017 at 3:43 PM, BrushWolf said:

Correct, they are passing through the Duluth entry and being a Great Lake most of the shipping is inter lake.

I live in Michigan, always watch them pass by out on Lake Huron.  Also go down to Port Huron and watch them sail up and down the St. Clair river, get a real close up view of them.  Kinda fun seeing the nationality of the ships because some do come in off the ocean of course.  Also, thanks for letting me know where those ships were recorded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,249 posts
8,126 battles
34 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

I live in Michigan, always watch them pass by out on Lake Huron.  Also go down to Port Huron and watch them sail up and down the St. Clair river, get a real close up view of them.  Kinda fun seeing the nationality of the ships because some do come in off the ocean of course.  Also, thanks for letting me know where those ships were recorded.

I live in Ontario, about 45 minutes from Sarnia... yup, it's fun watching teh ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
656
[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
8,384 battles

I'm hoping the Amagi that rammed my Montana last night hadn't disabled the horn sounds. I'd like to think his last 4 seconds in the match were filled with a loud blare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
15 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

I live in Ontario, about 45 minutes from Sarnia... yup, it's fun watching teh ships.

Yeh i live next to the skyway in hamilton. Seeing the lakers go under is fun.

 

8 minutes ago, PelicanHazard said:

I'm hoping the Amagi that rammed my Montana last night hadn't disabled the horn sounds. I'd like to think his last 4 seconds in the match were filled with a loud blare.

Lol. What i like to do is charge PADD smoke with my gremy knowing they cant torp me with the horn of intemidation blaring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×