You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HyenaHiena

CV for ranked season 8

9 comments in this topic

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,229 battles

Enterprise for me looks the best choise because his reserve of fighters without lose strike power, the AP bombs can be great if the game have a lot player with tirpitz and bismarks.

Shokkaku is great too but i think lose to enterprise because the reserves of fighters.

Graf Zeppelin... i dont play with so i dont know. Maybe?....

Lex, nope.

What you think is the best choise and why?

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles

I'm very uncertain, partially because I've never played the Enterprise, and partially because with the changes to smoke, the spotting meta for CVs may have changed.

Put simple, having both weaker and one less fighter squadrons gives the enterprise a significant disadvantage relative to the shokaku for 3/4 of the game, and that's assuming the shokaku eventually runs out.

The only viable game plan for the enterprise then is to keep its fighters close to friendly AA and to only intercept when the shokaku attempts strikes, so that the rate of attrition remains roughly equal. If the enterprise succeeds in this, and if the shokaku is sufficiently aggressive, the enterprise should then be able to reign supreme in the late stages of the game, plus getting in a few bonus strikes if the shokaku loses a fighter engagement particularly badly.

Having two torpedo squadrons, as well as the AP bombs should give the enterprise some pretty awesome alpha strike potential, making it possible to turn a losing game into a win in a relatively small amount of time.

However, keeping fighters over friendly air cover might allow you to protect the BBs and CAs from air attack, but it will make it almost completely impossible to spot, and will guarantee that any DDs which are not the Kidd and hence cannot be covered by your fighters, will have themselves and their torpedoes perma-spotted by the enemy CV for the first 15 minutes of the game.

The question then becomes: How important will DDs be in this season of ranked? How important will spotting torpedoes be? In previous seasons, these questions might have seemed obvious, but with the new smoke changes, both DDs and the smoke meta might become far less important.

The other problem is that you are relying on the enemy CV being aggressive enough to throw away all his fighters above your team's AA. You do not have the fighter power to create your own openings, so if the enemy CV refuses to indulge you, you might end up sitting in AA cover for the entire game without ever affecting the match. Remember that in order to succeed in ranked, you need to be able to win consistently. If every third CV you face knows that all he has to do is avoid throwing away his fighter reserves, then you might be tempted to abandon the enterprise even if it is technically a superior ship.

So yea, I dunno.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,814 posts
7,075 battles

GZ vanilla (if it exists for entire season) for best scout, anti dd platform with lazer guided HE bombs, best def (what if we can use the test versions?, can we?)

Enterprise for best fighters and superb concealment, AP bombs versus large targets

Shokaku for best all round platform, scout, strike and AS, deep reserves.

Lexington for?

(edit, what wins games? dds...)

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,229 battles
20 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

I'm very uncertain, partially because I've never played the Enterprise, and partially because with the changes to smoke, the spotting meta for CVs may have changed.

Put simple, having both weaker and one less fighter squadrons gives the enterprise a significant disadvantage relative to the shokaku for 3/4 of the game, and that's assuming the shokaku eventually runs out.

The only viable game plan for the enterprise then is to keep its fighters close to friendly AA and to only intercept when the shokaku attempts strikes, so that the rate of attrition remains roughly equal. If the enterprise succeeds in this, and if the shokaku is sufficiently aggressive, the enterprise should then be able to reign supreme in the late stages of the game, plus getting in a few bonus strikes if the shokaku loses a fighter engagement particularly badly.

Having two torpedo squadrons, as well as the AP bombs should give the enterprise some pretty awesome alpha strike potential, making it possible to turn a losing game into a win in a relatively small amount of time.

However, keeping fighters over friendly air cover might allow you to protect the BBs and CAs from air attack, but it will make it almost completely impossible to spot, and will guarantee that any DDs which are not the Kidd and hence cannot be covered by your fighters, will have themselves and their torpedoes perma-spotted by the enemy CV for the first 15 minutes of the game.

The question then becomes: How important will DDs be in this season of ranked? How important will spotting torpedoes be? In previous seasons, these questions might have seemed obvious, but with the new smoke changes, both DDs and the smoke meta might become far less important.

The other problem is that you are relying on the enemy CV being aggressive enough to throw away all his fighters above your team's AA. You do not have the fighter power to create your own openings, so if the enemy CV refuses to indulge you, you might end up sitting in AA cover for the entire game without ever affecting the match. Remember that in order to succeed in ranked, you need to be able to win consistently. If every third CV you face knows that all he has to do is avoid throwing away his fighter reserves, then you might be tempted to abandon the enterprise even if it is technically a superior ship.

So yea, I dunno.

This season have a point, the AA is much more "punisher", the 3-1-2 shokkaku can be beat with some strafes (ijn fighters have less ammo) and for that formation the ship lose his main strike power (one torpedo group).

The smoke change bring an interessing new meta, without bbs camping in smoke thats gonna make the game more flexible and SO maybe we gonna see more cruisers on batte [what is not that good to us(cv players)].

The dds is gonna still be important (like always) and for us at T8 we gonna have the "AA problem" the kidd and benson can be a really pain in the a** if they are build fo AA.

I dont know if is really interessing lose the strike power in that case. I mean, spot and control air is good, BUT if you can do that and kill enemy ships faster is even better.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,229 battles
13 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

Do not go into Ranked in a CV unless you have unicum stats.  Trust me.

I bet we gonna see a lot more "new cv players" in this ranked, major the enterprise hehehe

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,814 posts
7,075 battles
45 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

Do not go into Ranked in a CV unless you have unicum stats.  Trust me.

this can be said of any class of ship, for those hoping to do well. I'll enter ranked without unicum CV stats simply because I enjoy playing cvs. I hope others do too, I also hope expect unicum (solo, non boosted) cv players to quickly move out of and beyond my league... it will be interesting to see the wheat sorted from the chaff.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,229 battles

The 'unicum' gonna affect in the high leagues, not in the first ones. Maybe only gonna affect in the first 2 weeks.

[OILFA]
Members
123 posts
10,320 battles

i dont get any cv games i have waited  15 min in que ..i so tired of dd's go unchallenged  and battle ship s just parking and burning up

Edited by SCIVIRUS