You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wulfgarn

Flamu: Ranked Season 8 Ship Ranking. All T8 ships discussed.

18 comments in this topic

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Flamu discusses his picks for ranked this season.  This video discusses DDs, Cruisers, BBs, and CV's. All T8's are discussed.

DD wise, I was thinking along the same lines, but I haven't decided on the Benson or Lo Yang. In truth, I have 19pts for both, so I can jump back and forth between the two.

Pretty good suggestions. I hope this helps some of you out when deciding what to work on before this season drops.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
16 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Flamu discusses his picks for ranked this season.  This video discusses DDs, Cruisers, BBs, and CV's. All T8's are discussed.

DD wise, I was thinking along the same lines, but I haven't decided on the Benson or Lo Yang. In truth, I have 19pts for both, so I can jump back and forth between the two.

Pretty good suggestions. I hope this helps some of you out when deciding what to work on before this season drops.

kutuzov, alabama, kidd are my go to's

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles

BBs

IMO, Flamu overrates/overstates the difference in gun accuracy and AA between NC and Alabama. I would replace Amagi with Alabama for the recommended BB list - Recommended: NC, AL Average: Amagi and Tirpitz.

CAs/CLs

I agree with him, particularly with regard to boldly pointing out how strong New Orleans is now with current concealment and radar range - and those guns.

DDs

Yolang can annihilate a Kidd and all the other DDs in a cap contest. That's despite Kidd's larger HP pool, additional gun and Repair Party.  Which one is better will come down to the size of CV population participating in ranked. 

[-K-]
Members
5,275 posts
9,108 battles
6 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

DDs

Yolang can annihilate a Kidd and all the other DDs in a cap contest. That's despite Kidd's larger HP pool, additional gun and Repair Party.  Which one is better will come down to the size of CV population participating in ranked. 

Looks like everyone is underestimating the DD-hunter potential in Akizuki.  And I'm just fine with that.

[INTEL]
Members
6,662 posts
25,728 battles
3 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Looks like everyone is underestimating the DD-hunter potential in Akizuki.  And I'm just fine with that.

^^This

(though the speed - or lack of - is a concern)

Edited by alexf24

Members
2,389 posts
7,693 battles

My go to ships this rnaked season will be Amagi and Kidd. Amagi is the best BB overall with best guns of the tier and decent tanky. Kidd is the best DD to dominate caps. 

If the season has too many CVs, than NC becomes a good choice too, good guns, decent tank (bow on) and god like AA. If the season is DD heavy chappy and Akizuki are good choices because both excel at killing DDs. 

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
4 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Akizuki will get pooped on by a Lol Yang.  By all means, play it.  

Depending on the rank and how many CV are around Akizuki and Kidd might have a place.  I'd prefer the Kidd in most cases, but Akizuki will work if you don't have the Kidd.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,094 posts
14,503 battles

Pretty ballsy of him to pick NOLA as a top pick.  I can understand the justifications, it's just she's a totally unforgiving boat.  He did however cover how harrowing it will be for Cruisers in general.  Ranked is a BB-DD affair, not for Cruisers.

10 hours ago, Stampz said:

No mention of Mogami. Or maybe I missed it.

He forgot to mention it, but I think the same problems and strengths for Atago apply for Mogami also, 155 or 203 version.  She also lacks the Repair Party of Atago.  He likes Atago's firepower, stealth, and those things can apply to Mogami also, but the issue is gun range.  155-Mogami however can shoot faster than Atago's slow reload.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,904 battles

Not sure which DD I ahould bring. Especially after I got a Kidd today. She seems to be more usefull in a passive playstyle. The Lo Yang miss a turret but I got some good ranked games in her since your hydro with the faster short range torpedos gives you a good chance to kill the enemy DD. And this was before the hydro buff and the module that buff the active time. Benson because of the excellent short range firepower.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,101 posts
12,663 battles

Interesting that he seems to be predicting a lot more carrier play this season, or at least incorporating that into his rankings. Maybe it will happen, but I assumed people would just be queue dodging them like they did in previous seasons.

Members
730 posts
3,915 battles

My picks:

DD: Lo Yang, Kidd, or... hear me out, the HSF Harekaze (I have the Benson as back-up)

CA: Kutuzov, Charles Martel, Chapayev (I don't have a New Orleans) or maybe an Atago for the heal and fire chance

BB: Alabama, Tirpitz (and I would prefer the Bismarck for mid-range back up of the cap for our DDs if their torps are shorter than my secondaries)

CV: I do not possess ANY tier 8 Carriers...  I wouldn't know how to play one well enough to be anything other than a burden to my team.

~B

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,094 posts
14,503 battles
7 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Not sure which DD I ahould bring. Especially after I got a Kidd today. She seems to be more usefull in a passive playstyle. The Lo Yang miss a turret but I got some good ranked games in her since your hydro with the faster short range torpedos gives you a good chance to kill the enemy DD. And this was before the hydro buff and the module that buff the active time. Benson because of the excellent short range firepower.

Kidd and Benson I bet will be great ships.  The wild card is Lo Yang with that mega hydro.  There is no Z-46, Z-52 to out-hydro her in Ranked.

7 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Interesting that he seems to be predicting a lot more carrier play this season, or at least incorporating that into his rankings. Maybe it will happen, but I assumed people would just be queue dodging them like they did in previous seasons.

I agree with his thinking on this for several reasons.

1.  Ever since the removal of manual attacks with the Tier IV-V CVs, there has been an uptick of CV play.

2.  Tier VIII is the last tier where there's any sort of consistent CV activity.

3.  New CVs arrived this year and people will want to try them out:  Enterprise and Graf Zeppelin.

4.  Revamped Lexington with her 1/1/2 spec and AP bomb option will make it's Ranked debut.  This season will put to the test WG's USN CV Revamp as 1/1/2 Lexington squares off against Enterprise's endless pit of fighters and Shokaku's 3 fighter squadrons.

I don't think you'll see CVs all that often in Ranked but I bet more will show up compared to last Tier VI Ranked.  Which is why I'm intending to use Alabama a lot for now.  Expect to see a lot of Lexington though, compared to the others.  She is one of the most played CVs in the entire game.

Spoiler

dzS4NZa.jpg

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SIM]
Members
2,534 posts
4,182 battles

A pretty interesting and well reasoned review by Flamu. I had considered the Kii for this season, but ultimately I'll either be running my new Alabama or the Kidd.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,833 posts
9,583 battles
14 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Harekaze will be far more effective and can be set up to do everything the Akizuki can do. Without turning like a school bus and maintaining a good torpedo broadside. Also, best stealth in tier and a short gun range, meaning short gun bloom range.

[PNP]
Members
14 posts
7,761 battles

I have only had success in Kagero and the only games I manage to win I carry the entire team. Sometimes while rebuking them for being salty. That said I'm really good in Kagero. Well no I'm 100% in New Orleans but only played 2 games in her. Not shockingly I can't buy a win in Atago, as usual.