You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BrandonKF

You Don't Want Duke of York? You Want New Year Raid? Check the Opening Mission

40 comments in this topic

Members
594 posts
4,435 battles

I just did.

To get into the New Year Raid, it requires you win one battle and be top 7 in your team with exactly what it says on the tin. Duke of York.

I imagine @LittleWhiteMouse might be nibbling hard on her lip over this.

I'm apprehensive and a bit miffed.

But. So be it.

Challenge accepted. I'll grind through Battle of North Cape and get on with it.

Members
381 posts
25 battles

Yeah. The basic idea is you either buy DoY to do New Year Raid early, or you can earn DoY and rush New Year raid during the last few days.

LWM won't be surprise. It's the same for last year, except you can buy DoY without bundle from the first day, compare to Grafspee with no-bundel available during the last fews days

• Cool 1

Members
3,791 posts
14,076 battles

Yeah, WG wants us to drop 44 bucks on a turd just to have a better chance at getting the Scharnhorst camo. It'd be one thing if DoY was worth getting.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,237 posts

It's the exact same thing they did with the Graf last year but the cost of entry was cheaper - folks could COOP the Graf.  The funny bit is WG feels COOP is too easy to grind this year yet refuse to make COOP more challenging.  If they use Scenarios vs COOP then that'd be a thing to add.  Like "get 3 stars" to get past a mission.

[PVE]
Members
5,622 posts
18,220 battles
4 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

It's the exact same thing they did with the Graf last year but the cost of entry was cheaper - folks could COOP the Graf.  The funny bit is WG feels COOP is too easy to grind this year yet refuse to make COOP more challenging.  If they use Scenarios vs COOP then that'd be a thing to add.  Like "get 3 stars" to get past a mission.

The Graf Spee and Santa's Convoy missions were easily doable in Co-op. The final requirement for each leg was to play (not win) one PvP match. The Bismarck campaign was the first one to require you to play PvP only and it caused a bit of a stink. Since I am a PvE player, the way I dealt with it was to enter Random battles and focus on the mission requirements only. If I needed to start fires on BBs, I focused on that and ignored everything else. I intentionally ignored obvious targets and stayed on mission. I didn't worry about team play, winning, or stats, just what I needed to complete the mission at hand. I hated it, is a crappy way to play the game but so be it. I would advise any of my fellow Co-op players who want to do the campaign to do the same. You will get lots of hate and you will lose karma but it doesn't matter, just get the rewards you are after and move on. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

It's a tough call for me honestly. I'm one of those people who travel for the holiday season. I won't be able to play for most of the last half of the month, so I might not get the camo I want if I don't buy DoY. 

Members
594 posts
4,435 battles

With the way these games are going, it's suspect for me as well. Much as I hate to admit it, everyone's trying to get it free. Which means more cruisers in the line-up, which means that the initial stages are made even more difficult because you have so few ships to get the rewards from.

[-PVE-]
Members
117 posts
9,317 battles

I am disappointed that WG expects me to buy the DoY to win camo for my tier 6 ships (many I already have.) They have given me no incentive to go back to random and for some reason did not include scenarios as an option.  Logged on this morning expecting to start the campaign and discovered the requirements and  then logged off. Have other games that are calling me to play.  I won the Graf Spree and all ships last year and expected to do so this year. I will continue to watch the Christmas crates but do not have faith they will be what we had last year. My money, my time WG does not want any of it I guess. 

[AK]
Alpha Tester
225 posts
8,484 battles

The only British Cruiser I have is the Tier VII Belfast and it seems not to be allowed for Task 1 of the "Battle of the North Cape"

Note: It will not let me start any task. Has the mission not started yet?

Edit: re-launch of game reset missions and they work now.

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,463 battles

1st mission of the north cape task 5 says I have to have the Duke of York but to earn doy I have to complete the north cape missions. 

Am am I missing something?

Members
594 posts
4,435 battles
8 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

1st mission of the north cape task 5 says I have to have the Duke of York but to earn doy I have to complete the north cape missions. 

Nope. Either complete missions as they come for North Cape to earn Duke of York free, or buy it and then start New Year Raid now. Those are your options.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,908 battles
14 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

No. You can buy the DoY in the premium shop and play the second campaign now or grind the DoY over the campaign and that left you with 7 days to finish the second campaign (and some of the missions are unnecessary hard). I have 6 days off after the last DoY missions go life so I try my luck to get the campaign done in that time. 

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,788 battles

If you are one who spends money on the game anyways Ultimate bundle #1 isn't horrible.

15,000 doubloons: $63.25
30 days premium: $12.59
100 Zulu: $3.99
100 Charlie London, Zulu Hotel, Papa Papa: $12.99
Total value: $92.82

With all that the ship then costs a whole $7.17... and that price for a tier 7 BB, gimped though it may be, isn't terrible.

• Cool 1

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,463 battles
2 hours ago, BrandonKF said:

Nope. Either complete missions as they come for North Cape to earn Duke of York free, or buy it and then start New Year Raid now. Those are your options.

How can I complete the north cape (the Duke of York campaign) of task 5 of mission 1 needs the Duke of York to get the Duke of York? Don’t I need to complete task 5 to get mission 2?

[R-F]
Members
781 posts
6,404 battles
1 minute ago, wstugamd said:

How can I complete the north cape (the Duke of York campaign) of task 5 of mission 1 needs the Duke of York to get the Duke of York? Don’t I need to complete task 5 to get mission 2?

You can't, but you don't need to.  You can repeat any task for additional stars (but not additional rewards).

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,858 posts
10,641 battles
10 hours ago, StoptheViolins said:

Yeah I noticed they omitted Co-op from the DOY campaign so I won't be getting it. Its a shame they leave a large player group out of this stuff.

• Cool 1

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,463 battles
34 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

You can't, but you don't need to.  You can repeat any task for additional stars (but not additional rewards).

Thank you 

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,237 posts

Well Garbage is an over statement for this barge.  I opted to go ahead and get it thinking the difference would be a bit smaller than the relatively decent play of the KGV.  Buzz. Nope. AI carriers deliberately avoid the ship (since it just hauls ammo with very little time to use it) so very little plane kill XP.  AI DDs rush it since the 2ndaries rof is terrible the range isn't that good either.  

There be bugs with the damage.  I hit a boat for 57 damage.  About 5% of the shells hit for 0 damage.  Horizontal spread is  4 to the left and 6 to the right.  For some unknown reason the shells land short (about 20m) at a range of 5k or less when aiming above the target just above the armor belt when the target is full broadside.  They just splash short.  

Toss in the low pen, weird dispersion, slow turning turrets, and excruciatingly long reload time and the ship's best chance to sink another warship is to ram it.  I kid you not.

The hydro isn't useful since if you are max detection range for the device and detect torpedoes or an enemy the only real benefit is seeing who or what just torpedoed DoY.  You won't get turrets on another boat in time. You won't be able to avoid torpedoes in time.

WG pretty much said here's a pos version of the KGV enjoy.  Aside from saying I got one and slopping through the 2nd campaign, there's no reason to abuse yourself by buying or earning one.  

I am doubtful that even the stated and displayed speed is correct as I never was moving fast enough to get into my normal 28 knot trouble.

I guess the best sign that garbage is a polite word for this ship is playing COOP and seeing even the AI won't mess with it.  Literally.  I was trying to take on 3 AI boats and they stopped shooting me when another team member came out of cover.  They were all less than 7 km away and my team mate was 14km and he was in a BB.  No respect from the AI for this ship.   None.

[REVY]
Members
952 posts
7,518 battles
On 12/20/2017 at 7:34 PM, wstugamd said:

On 12/20/2017 at 7:35 PM, Brhinosaurus said:

While yes, Task 5 does require DoY to complete that Task, you do not need the DoY to collect enough stars to unlock the final Task and move on. I was able to complete the tasks for mission 1 in one evening without repeating any.

Once you have DoY, you can go back and finish the remaining tasks if you wish, I think all you get is an Achievement that states you did all the tasks, nothing else for it.

Members
1,866 posts

This is about the same as last year. Buy the ship and play for some Tier 6's, or play for the ship. For the Graf Spee campaign, it was all grinding XPs, so the ease of co-op was balanced by the lower XP return. This time around, there are get-hits segments and do-damage segments, so it was limited to random and ranked. Note that the get-XP part is adjusted XP, so the premium benefit and flags and camos all count. The Vampire mission could all be done in co-op, so PvP players switched to that mode and PvE players were happy-happy. No co-op in this one, so you will have to play PvP if you want it. I am not paying for this ship, it's not better than a tech tree. For about the same price, I can have Alabama.

[TWE]
Members
101 posts
1,221 battles
On 12/20/2017 at 5:04 PM, Gen_Saris said:

If you are one who spends money on the game anyways Ultimate bundle #1 isn't horrible.

15,000 doubloons: $63.25
30 days premium: $12.59
100 Zulu: $3.99
100 Charlie London, Zulu Hotel, Papa Papa: $12.99
Total value: $92.82

With all that the ship then costs a whole $7.17... and that price for a tier 7 BB, gimped though it may be, isn't terrible.

Thanks for pointing that out ... The Schranhorst is the only ship I play, so I really want that camo.. Might have to just bite the bullet and buy the Ultimate bundle #1 .. so I can get the DoY and start the NY raid missions to try and get the camo.. Hopefully the missions aren't too difficult. 

Beta Testers
121 posts
7,063 battles

I'll earn the Duke and completely skip the New Years Raid.  I'm not paying $45 for a crap BB just to get some Tier VI's that I mostly ground past already

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,788 battles
On 12/22/2017 at 3:33 PM, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

I threw money at it, but it's because I want the Scharnhorst skin.  I do use my Scharnhorst quite often.

I use my Scharn a lot too... but to buy a useless $40 ship just to get the skin? Umm, no thanks.