You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Woofship

Detection by Hydro/Radar icons changed without notice

15 comments in this topic

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,274 posts
7,830 battles

Did anyone notice a strange occurrence in which detection by Hydro/Radar does not display the actual icon of what's detecting you like it used to? Just had a battle in which I assumed I was detected by a Yugumo due to its higher concealment, smoked up behind an island and the detection never went away but never showed the actual radar/hydro icon. By the time I die, the enemy Z-52 is spotted 5,2km from me, showing that it was actually an hydro detection in smoke.

Photographical evidence in the sequence of events:

Normal Detection Marker:

2DRxsxt.jpg

In Smoke, still detected by something but normal detection marker, no ships within 2 or 3km to have proximity detection that:

TGqUtTC.jpg

Z-52 moving away, potentially the hydro user that was detecting in the smoke:

IL0kRUq.jpg

I was so dumbfounded with not even knowing what was spotting me that I just couldn't figure out how to react. If the first detection was the Hydro from that enemy smoke cloud I'd not have pushed naturally, knowing the Z-52 that was the ship there, but the lack of the hydro icon made me think it was the Yugumo and try to scare it away. Shows how important that tiny icon can be to proper planning when playing around caps. Can anyone confirm if radar/hydro detection icon is really gone from the game?

------

EDIT: After running another battle, I can confirm that the icons are not gone but actually changed without any notice on the patch notes. The old circular marker for detection from Hydro/Radar is indeed gone and was replaced by that nearly imperceptible triangle. I can't say it's too gamebreaking, but honestly wish we received a proper explanation that the icons were being changed. I couldn't tell the difference between the normal icon and the special radar detection icon until someone pointed out that there was any with this change. So yeah, if your detection icon has a triangle in it, that's your new radar/hydro marking.

Edited by HMSVampire

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,344 battles

Actually, it seems like the "normal detection indicator" is the new detection indicator for radar and hydro. The line of sight detected indicator is still the same and doesn't have the triangle. Still, I don't remember seeing this change in the patch notes. Would have been nice to have a heads up.

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,274 posts
7,830 battles
5 minutes ago, warpath_33 said:

Actually, it seems like the "normal detection indicator" is the new detection indicator for radar and hydro. The line of sight detected indicator is still the same and doesn't have the triangle. Still, I don't remember seeing this change in the patch notes. Would have been nice to have a heads up.

For real? So they removed something that was easy and intuitive to notice (an actual radar marker to the detection sign) and turned it into a small barely noticeable triangle around the exclamation mark? What you say makes sense, I'm now trying to remember that triangle before and can't really picture it too clearly, but the triangle feels so normal there that I kind of just thought it was always there to begin with in the normal icon. I'm appalled by this change if so, the UI needed to be updated with more information that's easy to discern, not less of it.

Also as far as I can tell, the patch notes do not indicate changes to the detection icons whatsoever.

Edited by HMSVampire

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,344 battles
3 minutes ago, HMSVampire said:

For real? So they removed something that was easy and intuitive to notice (an actual radar marker to the detection sign) and turned it into a small barely noticeable triangle around the exclamation mark? What you say makes sense, I'm now trying to remember that triangle before and can't really picture it too clearly, but the triangle feels so normal there that I kind of just thought it was always there to begin with in the normal icon. I'm appalled by this change if so, the UI needed to be updated with more information that's easy to discern, not less of it.

They should at least put "radar" or "hydro" under the new indicator, or at least have a pop-up in game that says "Hey, we changed a detection indicator without telling anybody, now you have to do a double take when you get detected by hydro or radar now."

[USFF]
Members
76 posts
4,944 battles

I noticed this and I'm pretty damned upset about it. So its a gamble now? The new icon is too generic for proper tactical reactions, if I pop smoke it may not matter because I wasn't eyeballed and then I've just wasted a valuable consumable. That RADAR/HYDRO icon was a part of the game that gave DDs some counter-play against RADAR/HYDRO behind through islands. WG why!? Bring it back now!

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,386 battles

I did not realize there had been a change made until I tried to smoke up while detected in my Fletcher last night and realized I was still detected, I just thought it was a new proximity detection icon.  I'm not the biggest fan by any stretch, I liked the previous system of icons better.

Edited by Deviathan

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,404 posts
3,583 battles

Had this happen last night as well. Very frustrating I thought I was getting proxy spotted and i reacted differently compared to being spotted by radar (Which was what actually spotted me) 

Would of been nice to know.. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,824 posts
9,566 battles

Imagine if WG made cars.

2018 model has the clutch where the high beam/low beam switch is on the steering column and the turn signal is the middle pedal.

Trunk release is under the hood and the lug nuts use a philips head. Spedomiter is in light years per week. 

Members
1 post
2,071 battles

I noticed this to and it threw me for a total loop and cost me several ranked matches cause i could not figure out in the middle of a pitched fight why i was still detected. Poor Poor time to implement a stealth change like this. :(

[WOLF3]
Members
6,386 posts
2,377 battles

If the announcements on the Asian server are to be believed, this is going back to the way it was very soon, like on Thursday?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
605 posts
4,803 battles

That is good news. Personally id love to see different icons for hydro or radar target than one. 

[SYN]
Members
545 posts
6,157 battles
9 hours ago, iDuckman said:

If the announcements on the Asian server are to be believed, this is going back to the way it was very soon, like on Thursday?

It was