You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review: Admiral Makarov

74 comments in this topic

[SIM]
Members
3,172 posts
4,963 battles

Honestly, I’m having a ton of fun in this light cruiser. The guns do some serious work against just about everything (as it turns out, nothing in this game likes being on fire), and it’s pretty good at kiting away thanks to the fanastic angles on the rear turrets. I play mine similarly to how I play my Duca d’Aosta, but I’m getting better results out of the Makarov.

• Cool 1

Members
1,772 posts
9,346 battles

Hey

For what it's worth; never underestimate the Nurnberg or maybe the Makarov for being able to hunt DD's using hydro and it's high ROF.  And because of it's higher than normal gun range, you can burn BB's nicely and still maintain some ability to dodge incoming shells.  Not to mention a decent amount of torps.  Somewhat fragile, yes, but aren't most mid-tier cruisers.  I love the Nurnberg and still play it regularly.

Pete

[VVV]
Members
2,476 posts

I'm still baffled as to why Makarov doesn't get to keep the German hydro given that the "German flavor" is otherwise being retained (high AP alpha, low HE alpha, 1/4 HE pen).

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
13,807 posts
8,895 battles
3 minutes ago, Lord_Magus said:

I'm still baffled as to why Makarov doesn't get to keep the German hydro given that the "German flavor" is otherwise being retained (high AP alpha, low HE alpha, 1/4 HE pen).

Makarov kept the Nurnberg guns. I'm guessing the -200m range difference is that the German crews were more familiar with them? Weak handwavium, I know. :Smile_teethhappy:

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,763 posts
8,291 battles
22 hours ago, killerwhalejames said:

hey littlewhitemouse.. i know its alot to ask but can u do a review on every single ship in the game ?

:D

Wouldn't that be something?   I'd need to get handsomely paid for it -- there's no way I could put that much time in without my finances hurting otherwise.  I doubt very much that I have that much of a readership to make such an endeavour financially viable, though.

[PVE]
Members
13,807 posts
8,895 battles
8 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

Tell me albino rodent: how much damage did you do with 2 HP?

She probably got a Kraken after that. :)

[TF16]
Modder
999 posts
7,713 battles

I think what disappoints me most about Makarov is her camouflage scheme.  It doesn't look that much different from the ones you can equip for 25,000 credits.  What?  Making ships pretty is important, damn it!

I agree wholeheartedly, so I created a new skin for her. What do you think?

Makarov.jpg

[PVE]
Members
13,807 posts
8,895 battles
9 minutes ago, Mr_Alex said:

Is the ship now sold in prem shop

On sale for Christmas too

[SIM]
Members
3,172 posts
4,963 battles
32 minutes ago, Mr_Alex said:

Is the ship now sold in prem shop

It's currently being sold in the in-game tech tree.

[1776_]
Alpha Tester
2,650 posts
5,186 battles

Anyone know where I can find the admiral makarov in the prem shop in the webpage, currently travelling and cannot access wows

[PVE]
Members
13,807 posts
8,895 battles
9 minutes ago, Mr_Alex said:

Anyone know where I can find the admiral makarov in the prem shop in the webpage, currently travelling and cannot access wows

It is not for sale in the premium shop, but available for doubloons in the game. It is on sale right now, but you will have to get into the game to get it as you will find it on the tech tree.

Members
143 posts
1,716 battles
On 12/25/2017 at 6:57 PM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Wouldn't that be something?   I'd need to get handsomely paid for it -- there's no way I could put that much time in without my finances hurting otherwise.  I doubt very much that I have that much of a readership to make such an endeavour financially viable, though.

hmmm... how about u replace all the ppl on the warship wiki?? 

ur review r so much better... im prety sure they (wiki ppl) get paid?

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,763 posts
8,291 battles
1 minute ago, killerwhalejames said:

hmmm... how about u replace all the ppl on the warship wiki?? 

ur review r so much better... im prety sure they (wiki ppl) get paid?

They don't.  We hang out and they help me collect data.  I provide some (very, very minor -- less than most contributors) help with the wiki on occasion.

Members
143 posts
1,716 battles
Just now, LittleWhiteMouse said:

They don't.  We hang out and they help me collect data.  I provide some (very, very minor -- less than most contributors) help with the wiki on occasion.

aw :C

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,647 battles
On 25/12/2017 at 9:57 PM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Haha!  As much as it's unrealistic, don't underrate your work.  I don't fanboy over randos on the Internet very often, but your reviews are definitely one of the highlights of the WoWs community.  Keep up the good work!

Beta Testers
296 posts
3,811 battles

I came to this review late more out of curiosity than any other reason.  Thank you for your very thorough review.

I'm with you, as "bad" as the Nurnberg is I enjoy playing my "B" hull ship, occasionally consider "upgrading" to "C" but decided not to so far.  Nurnberg is one of my "go to" T6 cruisers for Scenario games, I seem to have good luck with this boat, particularly when being chased due to those two aft mounted triple turrets and the rudder mods I've equipped her with.  I enjoy breaking out my T5 Murmansk from time to time for the same reason despite the built in drawbacks including Battleship level concealment and crumby AA.  (Yeah, I'm weird.  I was a destroyer and 'gator sailor in my prior life.)

I can't see shelling out money for what in essence a duplicate ship to one I already have in my fleet, I might have if there were significant improvements over the original.  I already have a T6 Soviet premium cruiser (Molotov).

[INTEL]
Members
1,069 posts
10,197 battles
41 minutes ago, CAPT_Rob said:

.  Nurnberg is one of my "go to" T6 cruisers for Scenario games, I seem to have good luck with this boat, particularly when being chased due to those two aft mounted triple turrets and the rudder mods I've equipped her with.  I enjoy breaking out my T5 Murmansk from time to time for the same reason despite the built in drawbacks including Battleship level concealment and crumby AA.  (Yeah, I'm weird.  I was a destroyer and 'gator sailor in my prior life.)

I can't see shelling out money for what in essence a duplicate ship to one I already have in my fleet, I might have if there were significant improvements over the original.  I already have a T6 Soviet premium cruiser (Molotov).

I Nurnburg's C hull in T6 Scenarios, its just beastly. Makarov's effective AA is much improved over a Nurn C hull. Given how many of the Scenarios have multiple CVs to defend against it should perform even better.

Beta Testers
296 posts
3,811 battles
13 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

I Nurnburg's C hull in T6 Scenarios, its just beastly. Makarov's effective AA is much improved over a Nurn C hull. Given how many of the Scenarios have multiple CVs to defend against it should perform even better.

It's a just matter of personal preference in my case though I do see your point.

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
651 posts
2,875 battles

I've changed my mind about this thing. I bought it on discount from the tech tree and I've gotten my money's worth out of it by now training up some cruiser captains. When I moved my Chapayev guy up to the Donskoi I needed to replace him and the Makarov made it a snap to train up a 14 point captain for what is consistently a very useful tier 8 cruiser. Now I've got one in it that's bound for Moskva when I unlock it. It's a pretty good scenario-farming boat as well, thanks to the superior mileage it gets out of Defensive Fire.

Not a standout ship in terms of gameplay, especially considering it's virtually a Nurnburg clone, but it is a tremendously useful (and relatively cheap) premium to have around for training purposes. Do recommend on that basis alone.

--Helms