You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review: Admiral Makarov

74 comments in this topic

[TBW]
Members
7,093 posts
13,055 battles

In the tech tree for doubloons is kind of a switch, As always Miss Mouse fine work.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,720 posts
3,794 battles

I enjoyed Nurnburg; moreso ever since she got the HE 1/4 buff, so I'm definitely getting Makarov. Nurn will probably stay as an anti-DD oriented cruiser, whereas Makarov will likely be shifted over to a more general support role. I do love playing both aggressively though; so I don't mind risking being detonated prematurely.

[STAR]
Members
3,176 posts
8,081 battles

Nice (and fun) review, altough not much of a surprise, in the end "its a Nurnberg". I will give Makarov a pass, i totally hated Nurnberg.

[SIM]
Members
3,173 posts
4,964 battles

So in a race to the bottom of the ocean between this ship and Huanghe, who wins? Both seem to be CLs made out of gunpowder, cardboard, and spiderwebs.

Beta Testers
744 posts

Another very fine effort Mouse, Tyvm.

I can already see that I’m not good enough to play the ship.       :Smile_hiding:  Floating Cit.

If I want to post an image from a site like tinypic, should I use the URL as I have here?  I see overlap.

http://219q81s.jpg

Edited by Capt_of_Satisfaction

[SIM]
Members
3,173 posts
4,964 battles
22 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

It was 3750 on the tech tree, so I picked it up.

Thanks, I was wondering what her price tag was like.

Members
1,773 posts
9,352 battles

Hey

I love my Nurnberg and play it regularly but think I will pass on this one, might as well consider Molotov for something different at T6.  Nice job Mouse, and Merry Christmas.

Pete

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,119 posts
16,467 battles
4 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

So in a race to the bottom of the ocean between this ship and Huanghe, who wins? Both seem to be CLs made out of gunpowder, cardboard, and spiderwebs.

Huang Meh at least has Perth Smoke.  Nurnberg / Makarov don't have that luxury.  This will become especially apparent when Tier VI Ranked returns.  Perth is squishy a.f., her gun range inadequate, but she was the best performing Cruiser in last Tier VI Ranked because of that smoke and concealment.  The same will hold true for Huang Meh.  She, with Perth and Leander have similar characteristics and will not be easy to obliterate like the other Tier VI Crusiers.  Outside gimmicky Perth, Leander, Cruisers did terribly.

XJDwqZw.jpg

Nurnberg was one of the worst Cruisers in Tier VI Ranked, only La Gal was worse, and Makarov is a derivative of N-Berg.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,865 battles

I hated Nurnberg with a passion(was before the HE pen buff) but even still I do not fear these ships and the only way ill end up with one is a Santa crate. And even then ill likely sell it off.

One of the few ships I Free XP'd out of because I hated it.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,865 battles
16 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Huang Meh at least has Perth Smoke.  Nurnberg / Makarov don't have that luxury.  This will become especially apparent when Tier VI Ranked returns.  Perth is squishy a.f., her gun range inadequate, but she was the best performing Cruiser in last Tier VI Ranked because of that smoke and concealment.  The same will hold true for Huang Meh.  She, with Perth and Leander have similar characteristics and will not be easy to obliterate like the other Tier VI Crusiers.  Outside gimmicky Perth, Leander, Cruisers did terribly.

XJDwqZw.jpg

Nurnberg was one of the worst Cruisers in Tier VI Ranked, only La Gal was worse, and Makarov is a derivative of N-Berg.

It's because cruisers have low armor, gigantic citadels and no utility at tier 6 which made them a non factor. Which DDs loved. Why DDs loved tier 6 ranked and are absolutely going to scream bloody murder when tier 8 ranked hits.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,119 posts
16,467 battles
22 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

It's because cruisers have low armor, gigantic citadels and no utility at tier 6 which made them a non factor. Which DDs loved. Why DDs loved tier 6 ranked and are absolutely going to scream bloody murder when tier 8 ranked hits.

Pretty much.  Tier V, Tier VI, it's like that.  Tier VII it gets a lot better.  But Tier VI Ranked was a BB-DD affair and the weaknesses of Cruisers came shining through.  No s--t, being a Cruiser that tier for Ranked was a harrowing time.  Fuso, Arizona, Warspite were running wild once the DDs were dealt with.  DDs and other BB gunfire were the only things the BBs worried about, it wasn't Cruisers.  Cruisers were getting blapped left and right early on.  Adm.Makarov will feel the same thing whenever Tier VI Ranked returns.

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
651 posts
2,875 battles

Expected meh, and, meh. Passing on this one. Good work as always, LWM!

I rarely play Nurnburg as it is, and when I do, I run the B hull anyway. It's also worth noting that, with 1/4 caliber HE pen carrying over, Makarov does not want IFHE, unlike literally every other Russian cruiser from tier 5 all the way to 9. This means that if you run any of those captains in the Makarov, you're getting a huge clash with their captain skills. Makarov does seem like it would make good use of a Moskva captain, but other than that....

--Helms

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,763 posts
8,291 battles
On 12/20/2017 at 4:15 PM, thehelmsman said:

It's also worth noting that, with 1/4 caliber HE pen carrying over, Makarov does not want IFHE, unlike literally every other Russian cruiser from tier 5 all the way to 9. This means that if you run any of those captains in the Makarov, you're getting a huge clash with their captain skills. Makarov does seem like it would make good use of a Moskva captain, but other than that....

This is specifically what makes her a good commander trainer.  Say you have a 8, 9 or 10pt Soviet cruiser commander that does not have Inertial Fuse for HE Shells skill yet, but you want to unlock it before playing their new 152mm armed chariot you just unlocked.  Use Makarov.  Makarov will perform decently without the skill, allowing you to use a commander that would otherwise find training on Mikhail Kutuzov, Murmansk or Molotov an issue.

[NGAGE]
Members
4,242 posts
6,149 battles

I decided to get the Makarov.....and my first battle she rewarded me with an arsonist.  I loved the Nurnberg, and actually got fairly hyped for this ship when I heard she was getting the 1/4 HE pen buff.  I can use my 19 point Moskva captain with her, and don't need to worry about not having IFHE.   She's a fun little ship and not a bad HE spammer. 

On 12/20/2017 at 9:00 AM, Kevs02Accord said:

Interesting this isnt a garbage boat, considering at T6, you will be up tired a lot.

The Nurnberg/Makarov handles being up tiered very well.  It has good range on its guns, good RoF, respectable DPM and firing starting rate.  It's very well suited to kiting and burning down BBs.  

Edited by yashma

[SIM]
Members
3,173 posts
4,964 battles

Thus far, she's failed to make any impression on me. That's not a bad thing I guess, not every premium needs to have a gimmick or standout trait. Still, I dare say this ship is almost purely there for collectors. 

Members
5,044 posts
60 battles

@LittleWhiteMouse

Your expectation? Please, Mouse... Makarov was a real ship & was aligned with the real-life specs.

Unless you were expecting an Admiral Hipper-class, ex-Lutzow, named Tallinn, of which was proposed to be completed as Pr. 83, with all 20.3 cm guns replaced with 152mm/57 guns & refit with Soviet postwar AA guns, torps & maybe a radar.

History of Makarov:

While being one of the Soviet's spoils of war, Makarov was designated as a flagship of the Baltic Fleet for a few years before reassigned ad training cruiser.

Edited by Xero_Snake

[PVE]
Members
13,852 posts
8,905 battles
On 12/20/2017 at 12:04 AM, LittleWhiteMouse said:
The following is a review of Admiral Makarov, a ship kindly provided to me by Wargaming. This is the release version of the vessel and these stats are current as of December 18th, 2017.

How not to go to Gulag
Makarov is a great trainer for your Soviet cruiser commanders that don't yet have Inertial Fuse for HE Shells unlocked.  She doesn't need it, so stick 'em on here and hoover up the XP needed to finally unlock it.  Then go play a good premium cruiser like Molotov or Mikhail Kutuzov.

•  Start with Priority Target and, for the love of toast, listen to what it's telling you.  If you see a number 1 appear, stop what you're doing, go evasive and hide.  If you see a number 2 or larger, scream loudly and curl up beneath your desk.  With luck, your room mate, significant other or your offspring will care enough to unplug your computer before you have to see your shiny premium cruiser get deleted again.

• Next up, grab Adrenaline Rush.  This skill is of less value on Makarov, as you tend to not take damage so much as explode suddenly.  Still, in theory it's a raw DPS gain and that's worth the two points.

• At tier 3, take Demolition Expert.  If you fancy yourself a destroyer-hunter, you should grab Vigilance instead, especially with those Pan Asian destroyers lurking about.

• Finally, at tier 4, take Concealment Expert.  If you have to ask why, you haven't been paying attention.

From here, pick and choose skills to your heart's content.  If you want to be salty about aircraft and fancy trying to provide a small bit of much-needed fleet defense, grab Advanced Fire Training, Basic Fire Training, and finish things off with Expert Marksman.  If you would rather hunt destroyers and ensure you never get ambushed, Radio Location, Demolition Expert (because you already took Vigilance) and Expert Marksman is the way to go.

Overall Impressions
Skill Floor:   Simple / Casual / Challenging / Difficult
Makarov is so damn fragile that even social-justice-warriors tell her that she needs to toughen up and stop being such a victim about incoming fire.  This is not an easy ship to do well in.

Skill Ceiling:  Low / Moderate / High / Extreme
Makarov has a surprising amount of carry potential in her, but only if you can keep her alive.  Anytime you have a platform that can deal a lot of damage (and do it quickly) while also being reasonably fast and decently stealthy, it's a recipe for a dangerous ship, especially in the hands of an expert player.  However, Makarov's fragility holds her back.  She just can't survive under duress.

Mouse's Summary:
  • It's Nurnberg.
  • No really, it's Nurnberg.
  • Yes, I know there's some subtle differences, but really, it's just Nurnberg.

Did you like Nurnberg?  Do you have happy memories of derping about in that ship, even when things went horribly awry?  Did you prefer to use Defensive Fire over Hydroacoustic Search when you played her?  If you answered 'yes' to all three of these questions, then you'll like Admiral Makarov.

I am honestly shocked at how little "Russian bias" crept into this ship.  I expected her citadel to be lowered or her to be armed with Soviet 152mm/57 rifles with the same reload time.   Seriously, Wargaming, you're not meeting my expectations.

I really do enjoy my cruisers -- especially the ones with fun guns and a penchant for suffering gory demises both suddenly and hilariously.  Admiral Makarov tickles my fancy in the same way that Atlanta, Duca d'Aosta, and Prinz Eugen do.  Let me be clear though -- my enjoyment isn't contingent upon the ship being good.  Admiral Makarov certainly isn't that.  She's too damn fragile, too damn slow and not sneaky enough to ever earn a recommendation based on her combat prowess.  She is a challenge, however, and she greatly rewarded me for out playing my opponents.  This panders to my ego.  When I did well in Makarov, I know it was down to my correct positioning, target priority and manoeuvres.

This ship doesn't offer anything new in terms of game play.  She's not good either, though at least she's not objectively worse than Nurnberg.  She is fun, however -- but of course this last trait is subjective.  Fortunately, you can try out Makarov yourself by simply unlocking and playing the C-Hull Nurnberg without Hydroacoustic Search.  If you have fun there, you'll like Makarov.

If you're sane, though, you'll stay the Hell away.

Would I Recommend?
At least no one's asking you to subscribe to some service package to get access to this ship.  I've said it once and I'll say it again:  Go play Nurnberg.  If you like that ship a lot, enjoy this premium version of her. 

• PVE Battles
    How well does the ship maintain profitability in Co-Op modes and how does she fare against bots?
Yeah, Makarov can do alright here.  She's fragile, so don't put her up on the firing line and don't take any early damage.  If you do, the bots will focus you quickly and give you a rough time.  The bots are very predictable and the frightening amounts of DPM this ship can spit out is a godsend to your team.
  • xBoQT7a.jpg

Dang Mouse, now I have to buy a new keyboard and monitor after snorting iced tea out of my nose from laughing so hard! ;)

I put the C hull on the Nurnberg for one operation for the AA and forgot to change it back for a month. I had fun even tho I kept thinking, 'I thought this had two sets of torps. I guess it was two as in one on each side.'

I'm sold.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,665 posts
27,369 battles

As always, thanks for the thorough and informative review.

The un-asked question is why the h-e-double-hockey-sticks would you buy this thing instead of the Molotov?

180 mm guns straight off the Tier 9 (nine) Donskoi. Penetration?  You bet!  A B X turret setup. And more difficult to delete than Nurnberg (which ain’t saying much).  

For training?  Molotov with Demo Expert but no IFHE is fine. 

Unless you simply must have another Tier 6 cruiser, this thing is superior to the Huang-Meh and nothing else. Cleveland, Budyonny, Duca D’Aosta, Graf Spee, Perth (my favorite), and even De Grasse are simply better ships. I sold Nürnberg as fast as I could...

EDIT:  I bought it anyway...  It is difficult to play well but it can work. Divisioning up with a CV can be amusing, especially if you have a 19-point Moskva captain handy. However, it is very annoying not to have German cruiser hydro. What, did the Soviets break it?

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[PVE]
Members
13,852 posts
8,905 battles
40 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

As always, thanks for the thorough and informative review.

The un-asked question is why the h-e-double-hockey-sticks would you buy this thing instead of the Molotov?

180 mm guns straight off the Tier 9 (nine) Donskoi. Penetration?  You bet!  A B X turret setup. And more difficult to delete than Nurnberg (which ain’t saying much).  

For training?  Molotov with Demo Expert but no IFHE is fine. 

Unless you simply must have another Tier 6 cruiser, this thing is superior to the Huang-Meh and nothing else. Cleveland, Budyonny, Duca D’Aosta, Graf Spee, Perth (my favorite), and even De Grasse are simply better ships. I sold Nürnberg as fast as I could...

But what if you already have Molotov, Kutuzov, Murmansk and Krasny Krym? It completes the set and at worst, is another first win bonus for some RU captain.