You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
db4100

Match Maker's Unfairness

56 comments in this topic

[NWNG]
Members
2,622 posts
4,515 battles
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:58 AM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

But you still have advanced players that will occasionally take out lower tier ships for some fun "seal clubbing".  Nothing can be done about that other than to block players of certain ranks being allowed to play at lower tiers, which I don't think would go over very well.  With around 14-15K people playing on the NA server at times, it's going to happen.

Pete

Seal Clubbing has very little to do with advanced gameplay though, so you really didn't counter the point I made.

And when I personally decide to do a T1 battle, I usually end up doing Co-Op, due to how few players are doing T1 Random Battles to begin with.

Members
1,770 posts
9,317 battles
On 2/16/2018 at 3:02 PM, Counter_Gambit said:

Seal Clubbing has very little to do with advanced gameplay though, so you really didn't counter the point I made.

And when I personally decide to do a T1 battle, I usually end up doing Co-Op, due to how few players are doing T1 Random Battles to begin with.

Hey

You what your saying is that nobody with advanced skills, high level captains don't go into low tier games at times to beat up on inexperienced players.  I bet it happens more than you think.

Pete

[NWNG]
Members
2,622 posts
4,515 battles
14 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

You what your saying is that nobody with advanced skills, high level captains don't go into low tier games at times to beat up on inexperienced players.  I bet it happens more than you think.

Pete

Advanced skill: Someone who has played the game for quite some time.

Advanced Gameplay: The game mechanics new players aren't immediately introduced to. Entirely optional to learn, but a requirement if one wishes to master the game.

Sure, players who played longer have commanders, but what does a commander bring to a Tier one match? Potentially: Longer gun range. Taking the Hashidate, that would increase from 9.1Km, to 10Km. Not that big of a difference, the increase is negligible. How about faster reload of the guns... again negligible. Increased Traverse speed, once again negligible. Demolition Expert: fires already being a thing, most new players would probably think RNG is just against them. Last Stand, negligible, new players would likely think they hit the repair button. Concealment Expert: One of two noticeable changes, but is completely negated when the ship opens fire anyway. Survivability expert: The second of two noticeable changes, and likely the only one that'll make a difference in a T1 Match, because hey, 350 extra health means more opportunity to shoot the enemy. OH... how about camo... same with concealment Expert, negated by firing main battery guns, camo is practically useless in a T1 match... About the only use Concealment Expert, and Camo provides, is when you're low on health, and so you turn to scouting instead of fighting.

Signals: Speed boost, increased fire chance, 0 detonation chance... maybe ramming bonus... once again, adds very little to a T1 match.

Unlike in tier 2 matches, where new players are now introduced to destroyers, who have torpedoes, smokescreens, and speed boosts. Having to learn how to best dodge torpedoes to reduce overall damage taken (nothing's guaranteed, but turning into them is safer, more often than not). If they play DD, they then also have to learn how to use torpedoes, and that using the aim guide built into the game, isn't always the best course of actions. They would also have to learn the best times to activate their smokescreen, and that their smokescreen doesn't just have to be used for themselves, but for their allies as well. And as they go further up the tier, they then have to deal with Magic Radar, and Magic Hydro-acoustics.

I am not saying seal clubbing doesn't happen. But what you're saying is "Advanced Gameplay=Advanced Skill," when the two are not one in the same.

On a side-note: Seal Clubbing can be both good, or bad. Seal Clubbing can make people learn new ways of dealing with opponents, new ways of maneuvering to avoid damage. Seal Clubbing can also push people away from the game. Just know, that because of all the advanced gameplay mechanics that is introduced at tier 2, seal clubbing becomes more prominent at Tiers 2, and starts to die off after tier 4.

Members
1,770 posts
9,317 battles

Hey 

There is no use for me to get through to you about those advanced players who usually play high tier ships and going down to play low tier ships for seal clubbing and sometimes using their 16-19 pt captains to beat up on somebody running a T1-T4 ship and those people may only have a 6 pt. captains or less.   No use going any further with this.  

Pete

Members
559 posts
2,431 battles

When you see 2 scharnhorsts against 2 colorados, and they have the Atlanta against a random cruiser that is not the Atlanta, you know that's a loss before it starts.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,902 posts
10,435 battles
2 hours ago, 44_percenter said:

When you see 2 scharnhorsts against 2 colorados, and they have the Atlanta against a random cruiser that is not the Atlanta, you know that's a loss before it starts.

The Scharnhorst's vs Colorado's can suck but the real advantage for the Scharnhorst is the speed difference as the gun ranges are similar. The Atlanta is so brittle that other cruisers will mop the proverbial floor with them given the chance. Adding factors to the MM tends to cause more issues than they fix like the same tier requirement for CV's which causes strange que dumps even during prime time.

• Bad 1