You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Warspawned

USS Emmons, Where Would It Fit!

10 comments in this topic

Members
82 posts
1,305 battles

Hey all!  

So, I was watching a dive off of Okinawa where a Greaves class DD was attacked and sunk by 5 Kamikaze hits; the USS Emmons.  She currently sits in 150’ of water..

Being both a history buff and a diver, that trip’s definitely on the bucket list!  Until then though, I thought it may be cool to see her as she was as a fighting ship in-game.  I’m pretty new here so I figured maybe some of the vets could help point me towards something in WoWS similar to her.

Emmons had 4 x 5” guns, 10 torp tubes and a 35 knot top speed...

Wouldn't it be pretty cool to see her as an in-game mission reward and/or premium some day?  What stats or traits would you give her to make her different?  Heh...5 Kamakize hits to sink her sounds like some hella good repair or damage control  :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[CAPT]
[CAPT]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members
853 posts
7,640 battles

Oh, are you watching History channel as well? That scene with the grenade shrapnel in the wall was pretty eerie.

[PROJX]
Members
969 posts
15,721 battles
31 minutes ago, Warspawned said:

Hey all!  

So, I was watching a dive off of Okinawa where a Greaves class DD was attacked and sunk by 5 Kamikaze hits; the USS Emmons.  She currently sits in 150’ of water..

Being both a history buff and a diver, that trip’s definitely on the bucket list!  Until then though, I thought it may be cool to see her as she was as a fighting ship in-game.  I’m pretty new here so I figured maybe some of the vets could help point me towards something in WoWS similar to her.

Emmons had 4 x 5” guns, 10 torp tubes and a 35 knot top speed...

Wouldn't it be pretty cool to see her as an in-game mission reward and/or premium some day?  What stats or traits would you give her to make her different?  Heh...5 Kamakize hits to sink her sounds like some hella good repair or damage control  :cap_like:

This might be a really nice addition as a Historical Premium.   WG should already have a starting point for its model since the T8 Pan-Asian DD is also a Gleaves class DD like the Emmons. +1

WRT your question re:  which in-game DDs would play closest to her, I would say either the Hsienyang Pan-Asian (if you’re OK w/ playing deep water torpedo DDs) or the (I think) C-Hull Benson (very similar to a Gleaves, the C-hull removes a gun giving it 4 & same torp layout like your DD & more AA like a picket DD like the Emmons would’ve been armed).

Edited by hangglide42

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,601 posts
4,025 battles

The Gleaves-class following the Benson and preceding the Fletcher classes, I'd guess tier 8.5? 

Wait, they write that in Roman numerals... tier VIII.V?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,615 posts
9,014 battles

The USS Laffey DD-724 would be a better choice because of the epic fight.

• Cool 1

[-I-]
Members
147 posts
2,737 battles

The Gleaves class is in the game featuring the Hsienyang at T8 in the Pan-Asia tech tree.

And to be honest it sucks compared to the Benson. It's just weaker in every aspect that matters.

[PROJX]
Members
969 posts
15,721 battles
55 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The USS Laffey DD-724 would be a better choice because of the epic fight.

Given the Laffey’s Historical battle against Kamikazes that made her famous, I agree that she would be a leading candidate for inclusion in the game.

What worries me re:  her inclusion has nothing to do w/ her historical merits, but WG’s current sale’s model.  Laffey was a Allen M. Sumner class DD, which in the current Tier structure would put it at T10 (the Pan-Asian T10 is a AMS class, & the class is very similar to a Gearing in characteristics).  Currently, no Premiums for sale reach above T8, - the max FXP ships are at T9 - w/ the projected in-development T10s possibly being reward ships (I.e. Clan Battles or 7-Rank 1’s).

I hope WG can find a way to include a historical ship like the Laffey (perhaps as a super-reward for a extended permanent campaign for T8 & above ships?) in the game eventually.

Edited by hangglide42

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,615 posts
9,014 battles
16 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

Given the Laffey’s Historical battle against Kamikazes that made her famous, I agree that she would be a leading candidate for inclusion in the game.

What worries me re:  her inclusion has nothing to do w/ her historical merits, but WG’s current sale’s model.  Laffey was a Allen M. Summers class DD, which in the current Tier structure would put it at T10 (the Pan-Asian T10 is a AMS class, & the class is very similar to a Gearing in characteristics).  Currently, no Premiums for sale reach above T8, - the max FXP ships are at T9 - w/ the projected in-development T10s possibly being reward ships (I.e. Clan Battles or 7-Rank 1’s).

I hope WG can find a way to include a historical ship like the Laffey (perhaps as a super-reward for a extended permanent campaign for T8 & above ships?) in the game eventually.

Oh, I agree and fitting her in would be a struggle. A better option with the Laffey and other ships would be for their class to be in the game and then have the special ships like the Laffey as cosmetic premiums.

Members
82 posts
1,305 battles
1 hour ago, Sharkbait_416 said:

Oh, are you watching History channel as well? That scene with the grenade shrapnel in the wall was pretty eerie.

Yes!  Awesome!

I broke my ankle and my PC is BSOD...

Freaking end of the world :fish_happy:

Edited by Warspawned

[PROJX]
Members
969 posts
15,721 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Oh, I agree and fitting her in would be a struggle. A better option with the Laffey and other ships would be for their class to be in the game and then have the special ships like the Laffey as cosmetic premiums.

You bring up a fascinating element that is an attraction for me to this game - Apart from the history (& being a fun arcade shooter), the ship models take me back to when I was a kid building plastic ship model kits.   We have the contemporary version of that representing these ships as fantastic 3D graphical detail which you can simply explore as eye candy in-port.

I’m curious if historical ships would be viable as non-playable graphical models sold for much reduced prices.  Since many of the specific historical ships are variations of already existing classes in game, there may be a viable price point for your concept.