You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RobSmith

How to fix an overheating issue ?

44 comments in this topic

[BLN]
Members
12 posts
5,268 battles

As of late (past few months) I have been forced to leave the game because of severe overheating issues to the point of my PC shutting down. I'm seeing spikes as high 65C on the GPU. Any tips on how to get this under control ? So far I've taken every graphics setting I could find down to the bare minimum, tinkered with my GPU settings for good measure but it still happens if not every game every other game. Anything else I can do to get this under control ? The machine is an ASUS CM1855 desktop so a bit older. No other software I run cause anything like this. Even under other "high" load activities such as full screen videos my GPU temp stays well under 50C. Thanks.

[BLN]
Members
12 posts
5,268 battles

Fans appear to be running within normal parameters 2K RPM and above. Checked inside the case no dust bunnies or anything like that to be found. New machine is not an option at this time.

Members
762 posts
15,824 battles
3 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

are your fans in good shape?  Still spinning, not too much dust?  Computer located where it gets decent circulation?

This is really a major point!

To the OP: Is the system subject to cigarette smoke or other severe air contaminates? I've seen fans spinning well, but they're blowing air over totally caked heat sinks; caked with dust, tar from cigs, etc. If your heat sinks have become insulated with stuff, little heat will be sinked off the processor and heating will soar. Could be an easy fix: Take off the fan and brush the sink clean.

[CK5]
Members
802 posts
6,548 battles

I had the same problem recently (although, with a different machine), and I thoroughly cleaned the interior of the pc with some compressed air.  Problem solved. 

[WFSDL]
Members
610 posts
8,404 battles

Sounds like your heat sink fins and fan housings are full of crud. Just because your fans are running at 2k doesn't mean they are cooling. If you don't know how to clean them, take it to a shop before it's too late.

[CAST]
Members
1,201 posts
7,372 battles

I actually ran into the same issue recently.  It turned out that my fan speed was reduced due to gunk in and around my fan bearings.  My fan and heatsink were quite old and had accumulated quite a bit of crud.  I changed the fan, and things got much better.

[BLN]
Members
12 posts
5,268 battles
9 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

This is really a major point!

To the OP: Is the system subject to cigarette smoke or other severe air contaminates? I've seen fans spinning well, but they're blowing air over totally caked heat sinks; caked with dust, tar from cigs, etc. If your heat sinks have become insulated with stuff, little heat will be sinked off the processor and heating will soar. Could be an easy fix: Take off the fan and brush the sink clean.

Case was opened and cleaned a month ago for a hard drive swap, everything was dusted clean as can be, no dust or smoke in here.

[SEP]
Members
3,723 posts
14,979 battles
1 minute ago, RobSmith said:

Case was opened and cleaned a month ago for a hard drive swap, everything was dusted clean as can be, no dust or smoke in here.

If the heat sinks and fans are clean but the problem persists then it is a good idea to change your thermal paste with a fresh one. It can be tricky on a GPU.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,393 battles

Quit using HE? Just joking. Yea I'd open the case and put a small fan on it if possible.

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
42 minutes ago, RobSmith said:

As of late (past few months) I have been forced to leave the game because of severe overheating issues to the point of my PC shutting down. I'm seeing spikes as high 65C on the GPU. Any tips on how to get this under control ? So far I've taken every graphics setting I could find down to the bare minimum, tinkered with my GPU settings for good measure but it still happens if not every game every other game. Anything else I can do to get this under control ? The machine is an ASUS CM1855 desktop so a bit older. No other software I run cause anything like this. Even under other "high" load activities such as full screen videos my GPU temp stays well under 50C. Thanks.

Pull the case off of your PC and blow the dust out of the cooling fins on top of your processor.  I try to do this every year or so along with the cooling coils on my fridge.  :)

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,601 posts
4,025 battles
36 minutes ago, RobSmith said:

Thinking I might have to run with the case open see if it helps.

Like a car's engine compartment, the cases are designed with air flow in mind.  Open the case and you defeat that, less air moving over the heat sinks will mean you get to overheated quicker.

When you swapped that hard drive, did you knock the heat sink?  I'd get some thermal grease or glue, and set that thing again just to make sure.

(Edited after my later post - grease probably isn't the right stuff to use in this case.)

[SEP]
Members
3,723 posts
14,979 battles
2 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

glue

CAADBQADTwADDGCzCKfp3W-cfMqSAg.png

interesting idea, how does that work?

Edited by m373x
  • Funny 1

[BLN]
Members
12 posts
5,268 battles

Just cracked the case open and re-dusted everything for good measure. Looks like about 10C cooler while idling, starting the game now see if I get any significant improvement.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,895 battles

I support the dust in the hestsink theory. Happen to me before to. I don’t think there is an actual problem. The fans of my card didn’t even start to spin and the card is still around 50 degree. 

[BLN]
Members
12 posts
5,268 battles
14 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

Like a car's engine compartment, the cases are designed with air flow in mind.  Open the case and you defeat that, less air moving over the heat sinks will mean you get to overheated quicker.

When you swapped that hard drive, did you knock the heat sink?  I'd get some thermal grease or glue, and set that thing again just to make sure.

(Edited after my later post - grease probably isn't the right stuff to use in this case.)

I'm well aware of how case airflow is part of the design (old computer tech here, although been out of the game for over a decade). I'll run some shakedowns both with and without see if it makes any difference. The case<is> inside of a computer desk with a semi enclose compartment designed to house a computer tower so not the best airflow in the world there. Seems that there is an improvement there, will know more after shakedown and will re-raised graphics settings progressively to see where the break point is if any. I do wonder if resolution also could play a role in heat generation from the GPU. If so I guess I'll just have to live with slightly blockier graphics.

[BLN]
Members
12 posts
5,268 battles

Just finished a game, peak temp didn't get above 45, looks like open case is the ticket. Thanks for the suggestions folks.

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
16,041 battles
1 hour ago, RobSmith said:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+clean+fan+and+heat+sink