You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ihsasum

Fully supported training room is mostly appreciated but a fully supported replay system is also needed

15 comments in this topic

[ZAOAI]
Members
37 posts
31,070 battles

I just found out fully supported training room is on super test. Thats the best update for the game ever done by WG this year. GJ on that. But we still need a fully supported replay system with multiple functions and bug free. Benefit of that is obvious. Professional youtubers and normal players can make more exciting game play videos and promote the game to the general public far more effective than WG alone does.

• Cool 3

Members
469 posts
12,414 battles

I begged for the ability to watch old replays almost two years ago. I enjoy looking back at great games and exciting finishes. I have kept a copy of most of the older updates, but I have a large gap in the first 6 months or so after the game went live. I can't find any players that are willing to send me copies of older versions or any cloud sources. I would gladly buy memory sticks and/or compensate people for their time. I totally agree that wargaming should have some tool that will accept any old video and play it.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,207 battles

There are tools that can be used for streaming or screen video capture, but in the latter case they usually require you to pay for them in order to record a full game. The ability to replay older games without a hitch would be wonderful, I agree, even if it meant we were limited to the player's eye view and could not detach ourselves & wander the map. I would be prepared to accept that limitation if it made back-compatibility for older replay files easier. 

The edit to allow training rooms is easy to do, but having it permanently in-game would be nice.

[SOFW]
Members
332 posts
14,247 battles

I played one training room battle in the test.  The problem was when I entered a training room a battle was already in progress so I had to wait 10-20 minutes to play.  Perhaps a indicator would be in order to show a battle in play and approximate time of completion that could be seen before entering the training room.  The training battle I did participate in was just what I wanted.  This is a much needed addition to the game.

Edited by jagdoc

[WGA]
Developers, Administrator, Moderator, F&F, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
1,091 posts
3,740 battles

One feature at a time. There is a way to do these things and it may seem slow to you, but we take our time with things to make sure we do them as correctly as possible. 

Your patience is always appreciated, Captains! 

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
14,439 posts
10,418 battles

Yeah, I remember the patch that completely broke the UI when more than one person alt+clicked on the same aircraft.

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
1 hour ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

One feature at a time. There is a way to do these things and it may seem slow to you, but we take our time with things to make sure we do them as correctly as possible. 

Your is always patience is appreciated, Captains! 

Pigeon, one that's needed in a replay system is something that WoT has.  And that's the ability to choose between saving all battles and only saving the most recent battle.  I honestly wouldn't turn on replays if I had to save every damned battle, because it would chew up far too much disk space in a hurry. I greatly prefer only saving the most recent battle.  And if for some reason, I want to really save the last reply, I'll rename it.

And that last sentence.  Ugh.  Methinks Yoda was a little drunk.  "Appreciated, your patience is, captains."

Beta Testers
1,480 posts
8,949 battles
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, Prothall said:

I begged for the ability to watch old replays almost two years ago. I enjoy looking back at great games and exciting finishes. I have kept a copy of most of the older updates, but I have a large gap in the first 6 months or so after the game went live. I can't find any players that are willing to send me copies of older versions or any cloud sources. I would gladly buy memory sticks and/or compensate people for their time. I totally agree that wargaming should have some tool that will accept any old video and play it.

Here is the problem with what you are asking:  "should have some tool that will accept any old video and play it."  Replays are not "videos" of the game.  They are  basically the game client recreating the battle where each ship and other object involved is doing the same thing it did in the recorded battle.  The problem is that the game changes each patch.  Ship properties change, game mechanics change, and so on.  The game as it now stands is vastly different than the game was 6 months after release, or even 6 months ago.  What you are asking would be analogous (in a reverse way) to expecting to start current game without updating your client to the latest patches.

If you want to be able to view a "video" of an old game, you have to have recorded that game during the battle itself or from a replay of the battle while the client can still support that replay.  That recording can be saved to a standard video format that can be played on any player (accepting that format), but it will still be a recording, not a replay (the latter of which would allow you to change views, jump to different ships, etc.), but at least it would be reusable long after the client moved on.

I would not expect them to ever have a client that could replay any replay file from the start of the game.  It would be a programming nightmare.

Beta Testers
1,480 posts
8,949 battles
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 12:01 AM, jagdoc said:

I played one training room battle in the test.  The problem was when I entered a training room a battle was already in progress so I had to wait 10-20 minutes to play.  Perhaps a indicator would be in order to show a battle in play and approximate time of completion that could be seen before entering the training room.  The training battle I did participate in was just what I wanted.  This is a much needed addition to the game.

That problem was probably more of your lack of familiarity with the training room interface.  People can setup persistent training rooms for themselves and/or others to join, or you can setup one yourself completely from scratch.  If you just want to go it alone or go in with some friends, you can create one yourself (or invitation only) and jump right in.  Or you could set one up and hope others join.

[DACO]
Members
174 posts
9,545 battles
On 12/30/2017 at 2:01 AM, jagdoc said:

I also played the Training Room on the test server and enjoyed it.  My wait times weren't any different than the times now in que and the test server is less populated so I can imagine wait times vary.  Another interesting fact is you can create your own room and have stationary ships to be used for target practice.  

[CAST]
Members
1,420 posts
5,956 battles
On 1/3/2018 at 6:01 PM, Sotaudi said:

Here is the problem with what you are asking:  "should have some tool that will accept any old video and play it."  Replays are not "videos" of the game.  They are  basically the game client recreating the battle where each ship and other object involved is doing the same thing it did in the recorded battle.  The problem is that the game changes each patch.  Ship properties change, game mechanics change, and so on.  The game as it now stands is vastly different than the game was 6 months after release, or even 6 months ago.  What you are asking would be analogous (in a reverse way) to expecting to start current game without updating your client to the latest patches.

If you want to be able to view a "video" of an old game, you have to have recorded that game during the battle itself or from a replay of the battle while the client can still support that replay.  That recording can be saved to a standard video format that can be played on any player (accepting that format), but it will still be a recording, not a replay (the latter of which would allow you to change views, jump to different ships, etc.), but at least it would be reusable long after the client moved on.

I would not expect them to ever have a client that could replay any replay file from the start of the game.  It would be a programming nightmare.

Call of Duty: Black Ops had a fully functional replay system which not only allowed for replaying games recorded several patches into the past, but also allowed for viewers to shift perspective between any player involved in the game, free roam the battlefield with precise controls, and even record clips from those replays using fully integrated remote camera controls....in 2010.  Yes, I understand that Treyarch/Activision are much larger companies with huge budgets to work with, and also that programming for a specific console with known operating capabilities is far different than doing the same for a PC audience using machines with vastly different performance, but it can be done.

That being said, a far cheaper way to do it which would meet the requirements of most WoWs players would be to enter a partnership with an established capture software provider which would provide WoWs users with a discount on the software or some similar perk. 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,565 battles
On 12/18/2017 at 5:20 PM, ihsasum said:

I just found out fully supported training room is on super test. Thats the best update for the game ever done by WG this year. GJ on that. But we still need a fully supported replay system with multiple functions and bug free. Benefit of that is obvious. Professional youtubers and normal players can make more exciting game play videos and promote the game to the general public far more effective than WG alone does.

I totally agree Wows should get proper replay system and training room in port, Ive never been able to get a replay to play yet,I did finally buy a game recorder but find at times with it running I’ll get game lag, anyway it would be great if after the game you could go back to Port and watch were yea did good job or messed up with 1 button click

Beta Testers
1,480 posts
8,949 battles
7 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

I totally agree Wows should get proper replay system and training room in port, Ive never been able to get a replay to play yet,I did finally buy a game recorder but find at times with it running I’ll get game lag, anyway it would be great if after the game you could go back to Port and watch were yea did good job or messed up with 1 button click

Needs to be a two-button click.  One button for "Yeah I did great that game.  Let's save it."  And another button for "We shall never speak of this again."  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

[VX]
Members
17 posts
7,912 battles
On 1/6/2018 at 8:38 AM, Sotaudi said:

Needs to be a two-button click.  One button for "Yeah I did great that game.  Let's save it."  And another button for "We shall never speak of this again."  :Smile_teethhappy:

Extending this a bit further I'd like three configuration options with post battle control.

1- Save All Replays (with post battle option to delete - "We shall never speak of again")

2- Option to Save (with post battle option to save - "Yeah I did great that game")

3- No Replays (a my 286 takes too many floppys to save these useless replays)

Also think there are ways to incorporate replay like activity for reporting, but that probably is a topic for another thread.