Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Silver_kun

Competitiveness

32 comments in this topic

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

@KongoPride requested Super Niko to create a subforum and I believe he just created one 7 minutes ago which, you the reader are browsing now.

So, what do you feel about the Pan-Asian DD's? Are they competitive enough for you?

Did you like the line?

Discuss away!

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
699 posts
18,993 battles

Thanks, I am grinding the Chung My amd will have a thread covering it shortly.  However, just some quick thoughts, heavy DD meta is bad for this ship line.  Heavy BB meta...party time.

• Cool 1

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
13 minutes ago, KongoPride said:

Thanks, I am grinding the Chung My amd will have a thread covering it shortly.  However, just some quick thoughts, heavy DD meta is bad for this ship line.  Heavy BB meta...party time.

I see, I will be looking forward to reading your thread.:Smile_honoring:

[CUTER]
Members
699 posts
18,993 battles

Double post.  Really weird and delayed...

Edited by KongoPride

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,487 battles

I'm only at T8, they seem competitive, but not particularly overpowered (other than the Gadjah Mada!), what I find interesting about them is that they sort of break the meta a bit given how deep water torps work combined with US style guns at higher tiers.  This is a good thing even if I'm not 100% sold on the specific mechanics of deep water torps.  The real treat for me is that the GM is a hint of how higher tier British DDs may work!

Beta Testers
1,323 posts
3,585 battles

very competitive at all tiers sometimes people need to say "torps live" or something almost got hit by 7 of those darn deep water torps while in my Nelson barely managed to avoid them.

Members
542 posts
2,943 battles

I bought my way up to the Hsienyang and pretty quickly sold it and bought my way once more to the Chung Mu. Hated the former. Super slow torps and heavily outgunned, Chung Mu I like quite a bit. I am not a DD player at all and its my first line for DD. I have to agree that, from what I've played, those two are pretty weak in 8-10 DD games. Not having the ability to scare or kill enemy DD with torps makes you a pretty garbage cap contester. 

I'd really like if they gave the line the option to revert to standard torps but it probably wont happen.

The torps themselves are glorious. I'd say easily a 90% chance to flood per hit so if you're good enough to stagger your launches around repair party timers you should be able to get some great damage totals. The lack of warning is also fantastic and why I picked the line over the rest. Unless a plane, hydro, or enemy DD spots them first a BB or cruiser has literally about 3 seconds to react.

Edited by ksix

Beta Testers
1,836 posts
10,762 battles

At T9 Chung Mu right now. She's one of the stronger ships in the line. A Fletcher with better concealment and more punishing torps to big ships.

You can't torp DDs in smoke but that's about it. Missing DFAA may hurt when CV population is back.

T4 ShenYang is surprisingly fun. Minekaze with 2x3 torps and US guns at tier 4. Torps are a bit short legged but very manageable.

Beta Testers
3,585 posts
4,261 battles
1 minute ago, chewonit said:

At T9 Chung Mu right now. She's one of the stronger ships in the line. A Fletcher with better concealment and more punishing torps to big ships.

You can't torp DDs in smoke but that's about it. Missing DFAA may hurt when CV population is back.

T4 ShenYang is surprisingly fun. Minekaze with 2x3 torps and US guns at tier 4. Torps are a bit short legged but very manageable.

Not US Guns, more like RU guns. Flat arcs, fly fast. The tier 5 has US guns.

[-BRS-]
Beta Testers
112 posts
11,352 battles

I ground thru t5 the 1st couple days after release and then free xp'd to t10 so my clan would have It for CW. I like the line for competition but would rather have a Gearing or Z-52 for random because I can't torps the dumbarse DD that is determined to sit in his own smoke???

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
351 posts
9,338 battles

I enjoyed the Yueyang alot for Clan wars  since being able to spot the enemy dd first without him spotting you is a big thing after all the opening meet all guns are trained to support the DD  in whatever it spots after that the stealth torpedo's are great for lowering the HP of the cruisers

[CUTER]
Members
699 posts
18,993 battles

Finished 100 battles with the YueYang.  Averaged 104k damage and 2.8 kills per a death.  For a DD, I would say that is respectable.  Unfortunately, I could only muster a 58% win rate, which leads me to believe that this ship while powerful, will likely perform better in a Division setting than as a stand alone.

Edited by KongoPride

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
25,006 battles

T4 is nicely competitive but not OP.

T6 is an Anshan that can't torp DDs.  No big deal because you just shoot them.

T7 Gadjah Mada is a blast to play.  Good guns, high fire chance, good torps (except no DDs), great handling, and fantastic gun arcs forward.  What's not to like?

T8 Fletcher hull with Benson guns and torps.  I did very well with the Hsienyang but don't intend to keep it.  Too many great T8 DDs.

T9 Chung Mu another Fletcher but with deadly torps.  At this level BBs can't manuever as well and BLAM!  6 torps into the side of a Missouri for deletion without 1 HP of flooding was hysterical.  (He didn't think so though.)

All that said, this line is not as good at contesting caps.  Especially at the start of a match.  Even the Gadjah Mada struggles with radar cruisers because of the short-ish 8km torp range. You can use selfish smoke to farm damage.  You can support friendly DDs almost like a Russian.  However, I don't think I'd pick any of these for competitive play.  Contesting caps and torpsing DDs in smoke is just too important.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles
On 12/22/2017 at 11:10 AM, Landing_Skipper said:

All that said, this line is not as good at contesting caps.  Especially at the start of a match. 

Is this specifically because of the inability to drop torps in the face of an intruding enemy destroyer and give him something to think about while you turn guns on him (or blow him up if he's unlucky/inattentive)?

How many of you have yet (if ever) used the ability to fire through your own destroyers to attack enemy heavy units moving up to kill them?

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
25,006 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Is this specifically because of the inability to drop torps in the face of an intruding enemy destroyer and give him something to think about while you turn guns on him (or blow him up if he's unlucky/inattentive)?

How many of you have yet (if ever) used the ability to fire through your own destroyers to attack enemy heavy units moving up to kill them?

Yes.  I frequently use Radio Location to help me guess where enemy DDs are approaching a cap. Being able to torp red DDs in their smoke is an important part of contesting caps. If I know the red DD is Pan Asian, I can attack the cap more aggressively without fear of torpedoes. 

I have trouble getting past the fear of an accidental TK. I have shot past DD teammates but it goes against instincts. 

Members
1,540 posts
8,172 battles

Hey

I have the Pan-asians tech tree up to T6, and the Anshan and Lo-Yang.  I like the DD's for the most part; but I don't like the Deep Water torps since you can't use them against other DD's.  Most of the lines has ok guns, not great, not bad.  I like the Lo-Yang and the Fushun so far, the T5 ship is good.  Some of them suck when the concealment is less than your torp range which forces you to get dangerously close and then pop smoke in order to dump fish, but again outside of LoYang, i'm only at T6.  And I'm still learning my way around DD's.

Pete

Members
1,733 posts
9,878 battles

I have Yue Yang.  My testing in CUTER concluded she is a strong DD with a unique play style in CB and any other competition that does not have CVs.

Lo Yang, this ranked season was not a fluke.  She has been a staple in Supremacy League since its inception, and like fine wine, got better with time. (the hydro buff)

Anshan with a 19 point captain might be the strongest T6 DD out there.  She was very strong in season 7 of ranked.  Anshan, Farragut, and Gallant were all DDs CUTE ran during the Lain American CNA tournament with good success.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Lo Yang is one of the exceptions to the Pan Asian DWT rule, isn't she? No wonder she's a monster.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
514 posts
4,670 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Lo Yang is one of the exceptions to the Pan Asian DWT rule, isn't she? No wonder she's a monster.

Lo Yang and the Anshan pre-date the PA line so they both have normal torps.  Sadly for this same reason they lack the super fast cool down for smoke that the rest of the PA destroyers have and instead have smoke similar to the the RU DDs (I think).

[_DKM_]
Members
12 posts
6,204 battles
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:02 AM, chewonit said:

I am really enjoying the Shenyang

, and you are so right it is a lot of fun. Using the smoke and just tearing up the enemy DD's with those guns and waiting for the BB's or Cruisers to come into range. 

Edited by CaptSpalding

Members
1,540 posts
8,172 battles

Hey

How about a premium Pan-asian outside of LoYang and Anshan that uses normal torpedo's or better yet a selectable set of launchers where one is equipped with normal torpedo's and a second set with with deep water torps, maybe have a default setting and then another key to select the alternate.   Something around a T8 maybe.  Just as an idea to float out there.

Pete

Members
1,733 posts
9,878 battles

It depends on the competitive rules.

Yue Yang is very competitive for clan battles.  At the moment its the most popular DD when it comes to Hurricane and Typhoon 1 clans.

In the King of the Sea tournament CVs are in every game, and they are replaced completely by Gearing due to the Defensive Fire consumable. 

The PA DD line was a nice addition to the game, but I am still not a fan of deep water torps.  I miss the versatility.  In general the entire line is pretty good with a few real gems to be found.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,926 battles

Here’s the thing about capping at the beginning of the match:

its dangerous for any DD,  not just the PAs. Contest a cap, take it if you can do it at low risk.  But if there are radar cruisers or other risks, don’t try. You can get the cap later if you’re still alive. Dying taking a cap gives the reds a kill and the cap.

if you sit in smoke in a contested cap you deserve your Darwin award. Even if you’re in a cap against a PA, other ships have torps, and smoke will expire before the cap timer does. The ability to torp in a knife fight is more psychological than practical. Taking your attention off the main battery long enough to get aimed torps off will get you killed.

Members
234 posts
803 battles

I am not a great DD player. But I love my t10 Yue. It has incredibly low detection. It has great torps that are deepwater and very hard to avoid. It's reasonably fast and agile. It has a great Rate of Fire for knife fighting VERY CLOSE BY enemy DDs.

What I don't like is I can't use torps on enemy DDs. That is huge. Considering maybe 35% of the enemies are DDs and I'm expected to contest and fight them, I have lost my main weapon. Also, since we are much better at torping BBs than anything, a torp on a BB is worth pretty junky XP. Because they got high torp resists and it's a low % of their health. Torping DDs gives you god XP, but we'll never get it. You can torp cruisers but it's much harder.

At even medium range our guns have a better chance of shooting the moon than landing against a moving target. It's very hard to aim because their arcs and travel time is so big. 

Smoke is nice. Radar is too situational. I've only seen it a few times. I've only used it a few times. Speed boost is very low. I use it to dodge torp walls, where it helps a lot, or get out of town when I get spotted.

I like their play style. They are kind of like shimakaze with not as many, or awesome, torps, but are much harder to detect. This is great for me. They can easily out-knife fight any shimas they meet. In fact, at close range, you can beat most enemy DDs. So you can be pretty aggressive compared to the scared-cat shimas. My best game was doing 250K dmg. But that is waaaaaay out of the ordinary.

Sign in to follow this