You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review: Duke of York

349 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
19,247 posts
12,800 battles
2 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:
With a glut of choices, Duke of York doesn't stand apart.  She's not good enough to sell herself based upon the merits of the ship's performance and she doesn't offer players anything new or compelling in terms of game play.  She's not fun.  She's not competitive.  She's not even interesting. She fails as a premium, completely and utterly.

<snip>

• For Fun Factor:
    Bottom line: Is the ship fun to play?
    pmmtu8A.jpg

<snip>

YXCdMod.jpg
Suggested nicknames: Duck of York, Puke of York, Duke of Yuck, Dookie of York & Dork of York.  Mix and match to your heart's content!

wgcgGfP.gif

• Cool 7
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[-VT-]
Members
339 posts
6,705 battles

Out of curiosity, what final grade would you have given it if it had it's cruiser like attributes and no heal? 

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,133 posts
7,661 battles
1 minute ago, DemonGod3 said:

Out of curiosity, what final grade would you have given it if it had it's cruiser like attributes and no heal? 

Funny you should ask.  I had 2/3s of a review done on that ship before it was overhauled.  I even have the Angry YouTuber Review image prepped.  She was a "Mehbote".  However, she got a lot of recommendations -- especially for Co-Op, Randoms and Fun Factor.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 2

[-VT-]
Members
339 posts
6,705 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Funny you should ask.  I had 2/3s of a review done on that ship before it was overhauled.  I even have the Angry YouTuber Review image prepped.  She was a "Mehbote".  However, she got a lot of recommendations -- especially for Co-Op, Randoms and Fun Factor.

Ahh, interesting to know.

Members
1,249 posts
737 battles

Sometimes I'd like to know what WG's balancing department is smoking, because based on the trend of some questionable balancing decisions it must be some damn good stuff.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,645 battles

Any speculation on why they changed it from the cruiser-like configuration? They just had to make it worse since they were giving it away?

I don't think I would have liked the cruiser configuration much, but I really appreciated that they were trying to do something different with the ship...

[CUTER]
Members
702 posts
19,079 battles

Shame, one of my top five favorite ships in WW2 history and this is the best WG could muster.  

[HINON]
Supertester
19,247 posts
12,800 battles
2 minutes ago, KongoPride said:

this is the best WG could muster.  

Hardly. This is a choice they made. They could've made it as OP as they wanted to, but they chose to make it a drab, boring, inferior knock-ff.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[FLWR]
Members
87 posts
3,018 battles
16 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

YXCdMod.jpg

I appreciate your honesty.  Thank you.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Thanks LWM your Reviews are detailed and show in depth analysis. As always I expect nothing less from you. Great Job! 

• Cool 1

[LOS]
Members
564 posts
7,899 battles

Why did they even bother...this is the kind of Krap the Devs over at World of Warplanes did with that game.

At least I'll get a free slot.

Thank you LWM for your hard work.  1+

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,182 battles

Hit it right on the head @LittleWhiteMouse the BBabies ruined this ship. @SuperNikoPower @Pigeon_of_War @Sub_Octavian read this. FixDuke of York please make her at least competitive, fun or unique in some way.

Edited by Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi
Cooler Head, had to edit due to insult.
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,182 battles
6 minutes ago, Lert said:

Hardly. This is a choice they made. They could've made it as OP as they wanted to, but they chose to make it a drab, boring, inferior knock-ff.

No they listened to all the BBabies and ruined what was looking to be a great Christmas gift ship. Now thanks to the BBabies we got a POS.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,247 posts
12,800 battles
5 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

No they listened to all the BBabies and ruined what was looking to be a great Christmas gift ship. Now thanks to the BBabies we got a POS.

It's still a choice they made. Wouldn't have taken them any more time to retain the sigma and 25s reload time while giving it 12 repair parties.

The sucky state of the ship is a choice.

• Bad 1

Members
2,423 posts
7,736 battles
4 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

The "old" DoY was also a bad ship, its not like its was a good ship and now a bad one. WG just changed a bad ship for another bad ship. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[SEP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,792 battles

I'll admit to being one of those people who was saying she needed a heal, but with what she turned into... I'm really wishing I had kept my mouth shut. That 2.05 sigma...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,182 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

It's still a choice they made. Wouldn't have taken them any more time to retain the sigma and 25s reload time while giving it 12 repair parties.

The sucky state of the ship is a choice.

6 minutes ago, Xlap said:

The "old" DoY was also a bad ship, its not like its was a good ship and now a bad one. WG just changed a bad ship for another bad ship. 

Maybe so but she was at least unique. A new type of ship with unique abilities and playstyle. Now thanks to BBabies that are to stubborn and narrow-sighted to see diversity as a good thing we got a ship that is worse in almost every single way to the tech tree ship with absolutely no redeemable features. Wargaming [edited] this up (not Graf Zeppelin level but close) and has made their first ship that is so bad you are hurting your team by playing it.

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Supertester
19,247 posts
12,800 battles
3 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Maybe so but she was at least unique. A new type of ship with unique abilities and playstyle. Now thanks to BBabies that are to stubborn and narrow-sighted to see diversity as a good thing we got a ship that is worse in almost every single way to the tech tree ship with absolutely no redeemable features. Wargaming [edited] this up (not Graf Zeppelin level but close) and has made their first ship that is so bad you are hurting your team by playing it.

Agreed.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARMDG]
WoWS Wiki Editor
794 posts

GG Mouse, great stuff. 

God, I had a lot of giggles with her when she was in her Dakka of York configuration. It's such a shame players didn't want that. 

She will be missed.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,182 battles
6 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

I'll admit to being one of those people who was saying she needed a heal, but with what she turned into... I'm really wishing I had kept my mouth shut. That 2.05 sigma...

Well at least you are admitting it, honestly giving her a heal would have been justified, if Wargaming had Waited let the ship go out then add a heal, not before because people cried about it because if you just listen to the whiners you get this....a total POS.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,045 battles

You know, @Lert, I think I would have quoted:

51 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

For Competitive Gaming:

• Competitive Gaming includes Ranked Battles and other skill-based tournaments. This also includes stat-padding.

Please don't bring this on my team.

Although the Nope gif is funnier.

[-VT-]
Members
339 posts
6,705 battles
1 minute ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Well at least you are admitting it, honestly giving her a heal would have been justified, if Wargaming had Waited let the ship go out then add a heal, not before because people cried about it because if you just listen to the whiners you get this....a total POS.

They would have never given it a heal with the cruiser ability.  The only way to fix it would to officially class it as a cruiser for MM, so people wouldn't feel gimped seeing one on their team.