Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Show_Me_Your_Cits

In the World of Radarships, we have...

19 comments in this topic

[MIA-A]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,410 battles

A captain skill that buffs torpedo speed and reduces range. Why not have a 4 point skill that does the opposite? If anything, a main reason why Gearing/Yueyang and was a very popular choice was because of the radar beating 16/13.5km torp range in Cruiser Clan Wars. 

Let's say we add a skill, call it Torpedo Range Extender, and have it work like this:

Flat -10kts torpedo speed. 

T2-4: +.5km torp range

T5: +1km torp range

T6:+1.5km torp range

T7:+2km torp range

T8:+3km torp range

T9: +4km torp range

T10: +5km torp range

The larger jump interval (from .5km/tier to 1km/tier) happens at T8 because of the sudden proliferation of radar boats at that tier and higher, while keeping the seal clubbers from getting too overzealous in certain boats *cough* Clemson *cough* Kamikaze *cough,* and the reason I went with a flat KM value for range boost is to make it actually attractive as an option, rather than just another ignored captain skill outside the "meta." The balance remains because your totals are now slower, but detection is the same, which means reaction time increases. 

This would effectively give destroyer (and some cruiser) captains 3 gameplay style choices:

1) No change, build as before

2) Cyka-blyat-rush-B torpedus

3) and Touring Model Slowpedoes 

Thoughts? Counterpoints? Cookies? 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,904 battles

That potential for team damage with slower longrange torpedos.

Beta Testers
1,158 posts
5,295 battles

And what would be the reduction in speed for each tier?  After all the skill you are trying to reverse decreases the range in exchange for speed, so the it would seem if you want to extend the range you would be giving up speed.

[ML-S]
Members
289 posts
4,138 battles
8 minutes ago, Bril01 said:

And what would be the reduction in speed for each tier?  After all the skill you are trying to reverse decreases the range in exchange for speed, so the it would seem if you want to extend the range you would be giving up speed.

17 minutes ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

Flat -10kts torpedo speed. 

[ML-S]
Members
289 posts
4,138 battles
1 minute ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Just give me Kitakami DWT already

How about Kitakami with the old Shiratsuyu TRB?

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester
5,820 posts
5,510 battles

25 km 57 kt shima torps

NOTLIKETHIS

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
7,754 battles

Probably have a flat speed reduction and a % based increase as opposed to a set increase. Say -10 knots but +20% range?. Otherwise some DDs like the Khab get a 110% boost in range while the Gearing only sees a 33% increase.

[HINON]
Members
9,019 posts

Would require a crazy rebalance as suddenly many dds that are balanced around shorter torps can shoot from much further ranges.

• Cool 1

[SEP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,781 battles

How about +1 km/-2 knot for each tier, similar to how SE works? Would make the Tier 10 version the same as what you have now, while making the description of the skill easy to understand for the reading impaired among the player base.

Add in a "Manual Secondaries" style Tier separation to make the skill marginally useful for the lower tiers to, as you said, avoid abuse by seal clubbing ships.

Torpedo Range Extension:

+1 km, -5 knots for ships of Tiers II-V

+1 km, -2 knots for each tier for ships Tier VI-X

My only concern would be using this skill on British CL's. A Mino could get 15 km torps while maintaining a 8.9 km concealment.

A Zao with 13 km torps that still maintain a 66 knot speed.

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,410 battles
10 minutes ago, Tedster_ said:

25 km 57 kt shima torps

NOTLIKETHIS

You could also see those from the moon. RIP any Shima that actually is dumb enough to pair this with the 20km noob traps. 

You could probably make a GK do two full circles between spotting them and sailing harmlessly by to murder an unsuspecting rock. 

Edited by Show_Me_Your_Cits

[MIA-A]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,410 battles
11 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

Probably have a flat speed reduction and a % based increase as opposed to a set increase. Say -10 knots but +20% range?. Otherwise some DDs like the Khab get a 110% boost in range while the Gearing only sees a 33% increase.

I did that on purpose. It would be a playstyle choice... A Gearing gets far less benefit and probably won't take it, but a Khab can give up some gun power for more flexibility. 

[MIA-A]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,410 battles
17 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Just give me Kitakami DWT already

Sure, but they can only hit CVs. :Smile_trollface:

[MIA-A]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,410 battles
19 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

How about +1 km/-2 knot for each tier, similar to how SE works? Would make the Tier 10 version the same as what you have now, while making the description of the skill easy to understand for the reading impaired among the player base.

Add in a "Manual Secondaries" style Tier separation to make the skill marginally useful for the lower tiers to, as you said, avoid abuse by seal clubbing ships.

Torpedo Range Extension:

+1 km, -5 knots for ships of Tiers II-V

+1 km, -2 knots for each tier for ships Tier VI-X

My only concern would be using this skill on British CL's. A Mino could get 15 km torps while maintaining a 8.9 km concealment.

A Zao with 13 km torps that still maintain a 66 knot speed.

I wouldn't have a problem with a Minotaur having 15km torps, as it give them a tool to help influence games more... Which is honestly the entire RN CL line's issue. Spot = drop. 

And Zao has been power crept pretty hard (15.something km base gun range at T10 KEK), it could use a little love. 

As far as your simplification... I like it. 

Edited by Show_Me_Your_Cits

[USCC2]
Members
3,569 posts

I'd just like to see torpedoes go unseen if they are not spotted anymore and only seen when spotted again.

This would possibly see a small rise in the percentage of torpedo hits that would increase the damage of DDs that sit at the bottom of most tiers for damage.

At the moment the detection range of torpedoes doesn't always matter, as once any ship, spotter plane, fighter plane, CV plane or Hydro spots it, it's spotted forever.

• Cool 1

Members
1,640 posts
7,474 battles
20 minutes ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

Sure, but they can only hit CVs. :Smile_trollface:

*wailing sounds of more CV nerfs in the background*

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,410 battles
21 minutes ago, Lillehuntrix said:

39 knot torpedoes on the Sims.  I think I can torp myself; might need speed flag and boost.

Not for me, but no objection.

That would be hilarious. 

"Hey look, Sims spotted!" *3 minutes later* "Hm, no torps... Gonna sail straight." *3 more minutes later* DEVASTATING STRIKE "Lolwut?" 

[INTEL]
Members
8,581 posts
25,696 battles

Cits, this is an excellent idea.

People have been calling for variable range torps for a while. A captain's skill that permitted range setting would be ideal, so you could get the torps you needed on the fly. 

Sign in to follow this