Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Labedoyere

Radio Location

36 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

6
[-V1-]
Members
158 posts
5,828 battles

Hello....From time to time i will see (Radio Location ) in some posts but i have no idea what they are talking about. So my question is....What is it and what ships are able to do this and how does it actually work.

Thank You

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,353
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,393 posts
3,875 battles

Radio Location is a captain skill.

 

Ships whose captains have this skill will get an indicator showing the rough direction of the nearest enemy ship to them, whether it is spotted or not. The located enemy ship is also notified that they are located, via a HUD indicator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,543
[PSP]
Members
6,226 posts
8,857 battles

It's a commander skill that shows you the general direction of the ship nearest to you, while at the same time giving that ship an indicator that it's being located. Watch Flambass videos on YouTube. He uses it all the time with his DDs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

I consider it to be a "noobish" skill point.  It's a waist of valuable skill points that could be placed into something far better than Radio Location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,353
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,393 posts
3,875 battles
1 minute ago, 0crazy8s0 said:

I consider it to be a "noobish" skill point.  It's a waist of valuable skill points that could be placed into something far better than Radio Location.

To the contrary, it is extremely useful in high tier play, especially on destroyers.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

For certain players yes it is useful so I will retract original statement and re state that it is useful for certain ships as said on destroyers.   Other ships not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,497
Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
3 minutes ago, 0crazy8s0 said:

For certain players yes it is useful so I will retract original statement and re state that it is useful for certain ships as said on destroyers.   Other ships not so much.

 

It's good on pet much every ship, once you get the hang of it.

 

The problem it's that not everyone can afford to take it.

 

It's damn near mandatory on IJN DDs, highly recommended on most other DDs and some cruisers.  BBs already are strapped for points and should take FP instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 minute ago, Grizley said:

 

It's good on pet much every ship, once you get the hang of it.

 

The problem it's that not everyone can afford to take it.

 

It's damn near mandatory on IJN DDs, highly recommended on most other DDs and some cruisers.  BBs already are strapped for points and should take FP instead.

I personally wouldn't waist my skill points on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,497
Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
2 minutes ago, 0crazy8s0 said:

I personally wouldn't waist my skill points on it

 

Nobody said you had to. But you mostly play BB, so it's not really surprising.

It's an extremely powerful skill.  It allows all kinds of shenanigans for a number of ship types. Mostly DD related, also island huggers.

It plugs the biggest weakness of IJN DDs, that is bumping into a USN DD at point blank range.  Now if you know how to survive radar you're nearly unlikable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

I may use it on my destroyer captains and try it out but other wise yea I don't use it.  Plus it causes a lot of as said controversy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,328
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,824 posts
9,575 battles
20 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

To the contrary, it is extremely useful in high tier play, especially on destroyers.

Yup. If you are good enough to take advantage of it, the skill is ridiculously overpowered. 

 

It it should not be in the game. It makes it impossible for the IJN DD I am chasing in my Khab or Udaloi to lose me. A torp hit is their only chance and I WASD well. 

 

On on the flip side, it lets the good IJN DD avoid enemy DDs, unless the enemy DD is also running RPF and hunting them.

 

Its pretty much a required 2nd 4 point skill IMHO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,497
Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Watch a couple videos from CatOnBoard. He runs it on everything last time I saw.  Quite good too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[POP]
Members
1,234 posts
8,228 battles

It was really useful in clan wars. But that's fewer, generally more concentrated ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,353
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,393 posts
3,875 battles
21 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Yup. If you are good enough to take advantage of it, the skill is ridiculously overpowered. 

 

It it should not be in the game. It makes it impossible for the IJN DD I am chasing in my Khab or Udaloi to lose me. A torp hit is their only chance and I WASD well. 

 

On on the flip side, it lets the good IJN DD avoid enemy DDs, unless the enemy DD is also running RPF and hunting them.

 

Its pretty much a required 2nd 4 point skill IMHO. 

Frankly, radio location is what radar should be.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
102
[WAG]
Members
391 posts
7,471 battles

The only time I have used it was on my Hindenburg in Clan Battles, since I didn't need to spec any AA skills. It was very useful in hunting DDs, or at least shadowing them to keep them out of play.In a cruiser, it allows you to always be nose into the DD, greatly enhancing torpedo dodges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,541
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
1 hour ago, AraAragami said:

To the contrary, it is extremely useful in high tier play, especially on destroyers.

I'm pretty sure all the destroyer players told us "every battleship will take this skill to hunt destroyers!!!!!!!  This is ANOTHER huge buff to battleships!!!"   They lost a lot of credibility on that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
523 posts
3,683 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Watch Flambass videos on YouTube. He uses it all the time with his DDs. 

I actually asked him about this. His recent tier X video’s all run it due to CW’s. He does not advocate running it on all DD’s in randoms.  It’s a powerful skill, there is no doubt. But, it’s value varies with each DD and role.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,037
Members
3,764 posts
13,992 battles
1 hour ago, 0crazy8s0 said:

I consider it to be a "noobish" skill point.  It's a waist of valuable skill points that could be placed into something far better than Radio Location.

Agreed.  I tried it and didn't find it all that helpful. I can think of more useful skills to spend 4 points on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SYN]
Members
546 posts
6,157 battles
1 hour ago, Grizley said:

 

Now if you know how to survive radar you're nearly unlikable. 

 

I am already totally unlikable, especially in DD's.

Edited by Ensign_Pulver_2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,353
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,393 posts
3,875 battles
31 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I'm pretty sure all the destroyer players told us "every battleship will take this skill to hunt destroyers!!!!!!!  This is ANOTHER huge buff to battleships!!!"   They lost a lot of credibility on that one.

Now make a callback to something that isn't 10 months out of date.

 

Maybe we can be recent and topical by pointing out how every battleship main went nuclear over their bow armor being nerfed.

Edited by AraAragami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,541
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
5 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Now make a callback to something that isn't 10 months out of date.

 

Maybe we can be recent and topical by pointing out how every battleship main went nuclear over their bow armor being nerfed.

It's not out of date.  It's just an uncomfortable truth.


We were assured that RDF/RPF was game-breakingly powerful, and that IJN DDs in particular would be unplayable.  Maybe you ought to sit back and think before making apocalyptic pronouncements in the future.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,353
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,393 posts
3,875 battles
1 minute ago, TheDreadnought said:

We were assured that RDF/RPF was game-breakingly powerful, and that IJN DDs in particular would be unplayable.  Maybe you ought to sit back and think before making apocalyptic pronouncements in the future.

It is game-breakingly powerful. Just not in the way that was predicted. Get over it, this is not very good ammunition for your "All destroyers are whiny crybabies" campaign.

 

I don't want to hear accusations of "apocalyptic pronouncements" from a battleship main. Every patch you guys are rattling your sabers claiming the game is broken and you've been cripplingly nerfed, even when you've been buffed. Even when you haven't been touched at all.

Edited by AraAragami
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×