You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
__Jynx__

Why the removal of damage counter?

14 comments in this topic

[STW-A]
Members
45 posts
9,922 battles

I'm not clear at all as to why something like detailed damage counter was considered a bannable mod when all it does is keep track of the damage and vessels you do and damage and vessels that damage you. How is this in any way an advantage or a cheat? I mean wth? Explain to me how someone using the detailed damage counter has any kind of advantage over another ship in a fight. I'd love to hear how this gets spun. 

[TF16]
Members
826 posts
5,103 battles

I'm not certain as I haven't seen the mod myself but the first thing that came to mind is if the mod would track damage/(show what ship you damaged) that you cause to ships that you cannot see.

For instance, if you shot into smoke and damaged an unspotted ship, would the mod count the damage?  If so, it would provide you with information that you normally would not be able to receive...which is where the offense comes from.

Edited by Sock5
Edited because I didn't clearly state what I wanted to...

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
2,414 posts
1 minute ago, Sock5 said:

I'm not certain as I haven't seen the mod myself but the first thing that came to mind is if the mod would track damage that you cause to ships that you cannot see.

For instance, if you shot into smoke and damaged an unspotted ship, would the mod count the damage?  If so, it would provide you with information that you normally would not be able to receive...which is where the offense comes from.

Really? 

I'll have to check this, but I'm thinking that you already know if you score hits on an unseen ship... I recall it happening this weekend at least once with torps I'd fired into smoke to clear out the roaches, and at least once with shots I fired at a ship that then disappeared while the shells were headed downrange. 

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
4 minutes ago, Sock5 said:

I'm not certain as I haven't seen the mod myself but the first thing that came to mind is if the mod would track damage that you cause to ships that you cannot see.

I'm pretty positive that the counter included in the game counts damage to unspotted ships. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
8,384 battles
2 minutes ago, Sock5 said:

I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure the vanilla damage counter does this already. It doesn't indicate citadels, but it does indicate hits and iirc tallies the damage done.

If I had to hazard a guess, perhaps the mod violates rules like the example ReShade:

Gray areas

Since there are so many mods for our game at this point, we are sadly unable to guarantee that it will function correctly if players are using any of them. Furthermore, seemingly harmless modifications like ReShade, while being cosmetic in nature, work in a way that violates several rules at once (dynamic libraries substitution and control over the rendering process, which allow for an aimbot or a keylogger to be written into the code), therefore being similar to some forbidden mods, that allow those with malicious intent to gain a competitive advantage as well as steal your data in some cases.

...meaning that the way the mod is written maybe violates mod policy.

Or perhaps alternatively, WG doesn't want you to know if the blindfire you're launching into a destroyer's smokescreen is damaging that destroyer or some larger threat that snuck its way in:

• Applications and mods that make otherwise unknown information available, except for those mentioned and approved on the official forums or portal.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles
1 minute ago, TTK_Aegis said:

I'm pretty positive that the counter included in the game counts damage to unspotted ships. 

This ^^

[TF16]
Members
826 posts
5,103 battles
1 minute ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Indeed it does.  Looking back on it, I didn't go into my example enough.  Sorry.

Does the damage counter mod tell you what ships you've damaged (Example: Torping a never spotted DD in smoke but your counter tells you you hit a Benson)?  Because if it does with an unspotted ship, that's the issue.  

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
726 posts
11,940 battles

I do not know, and have not used the mod, but off the top of my head I will ask the following.

Does the mod tell you what ship(s) you have hit? If so, would be be an added benefit to know that the damage you did was spread out among three ships, perhaps even telling you which ships? Could that be considered a tactical advantage, knowing that there are certain vessels. or even a certain number of vessels, in a smoke cloud?

Respects,

Am

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
6 minutes ago, Sock5 said:

Indeed it does.  Looking back on it, I didn't go into my example enough.  Sorry.

Does the damage counter mod tell you what ships you've damaged (Example: Torping a never spotted DD in smoke but your counter tells you you hit a Benson)?  Because if it does with an unspotted ship, that's the issue.  

Maybe it tells if the damage is done to modules or not. Like maybe it tracks the HP left on a specific turret. I could see that being a huge advantage far more than just ship type. I mean if I could see a BB's turret was almost dead, I'd finish it off to put them at a disadvantage before slugging it out. 

[TF16]
Members
826 posts
5,103 battles
3 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Maybe it tells if the damage is done to modules or not. Like maybe it tracks the HP left on a specific turret. I could see that being a huge advantage far more than just ship type. I mean if I could see a BB's turret was almost dead, I'd finish it off to put them at a disadvantage before slugging it out. 

That would also be a huge advantage.  I guess we'd have to wait for clarification from those that used the mod before it was announced it was illegal.  Which I know is tricky.

Edited by Sock5

Modder
1,092 posts

In all likelihood it has been banned because in order for it to work it modifies the scripts.zip file which Wargaming has decided to disallow because modifying this file makes it possible for actual cheats/hacks to work. It's easier to disallow all mods that work through the scripts file than actively monitoring a select few. This is exactly the same case with Monstro Markers.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

The in game one already does that though, maybe not specifically which in battle but it does at the end, and it keeps track of the max damage.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

The detailed Damage indicator mod yes it does tell you or should tell you how much damage you cause to each individual ship.  Whether the shells you  fired where from AP or HE .  It also I believes takes into account fire damage and flooding from torpedo hits as well.  I don't use the mod any longer but yes it was a great mod to use in order to see exactly how much damage you've done to an enemy ship.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,726 posts
15,376 battles

It could be more about HOW the mod is installed.  I bet WG identified certain bad mods that are associated with that install method and simply asked all modders to stop using this method of mod installation.  Therefore, we've lost the damage indicator and monstro markers.

This is similar to the recent ReShade incident, but I do appreciate that they are being more pro-active about this...