You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HMAS_Valhalla

Looking for advice... not "get gude"

42 comments in this topic

[CWLTH]
Members
38 posts
3,752 battles

hello fellow captains, I;m looking for advice on the one in game combat action that seems to elude me!  aiming!!! 

no matter how hard I try, no matter how many "youtube" videos I watch I cannot seem to be consistent hitting a target.

now before all you  yell, "watch youtube video "blah" and so and so's video on "aiming" I have, and I follow it as described.

I have a replay of a couple of  games where i follow the advice in the videos (although the replay doesnt show the aiming ticks)  but it still goes (edited) faced.

please I am not loking for tactical advice (not yet anyway) but constuctive advice only

Thank you

FEBA64

20171218_231416_PGSB507-Scharnhorst_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay

20171218_213131_PBSC107-Fiji_35_NE_north_winter.wowsreplay

[SIM]
Members
2,524 posts
4,178 battles

If you change ships regularly while playing, stop doing so. Each ship’s guns handle differently, and if you change ships several times during a play session you may struggle to get the timing down for how much lead that you need to give to your shots. I always do better with my gunnery when I pick one ship and stick with it as opposed to bouncing around my premium fleet. 

• Cool 1

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

I'm not able to watch replays right now, but have you tried firing a test shot before you launch the whole salvo? That's what I use to do and it worked pretty well. You can usually tell how to correct your shot by the time the test shot is half way to the target. 

Also keep in mind that if you're using dynamic (my personal choice) vs status crosshairs then the video you wants may not apply exactly if they're using the crosshair you aren't. 

The training room is also really good for practicing against unarmed targets. Basically you can set up a whole enemy fleet of target dummies. 

Lastly, get use to the average top speed of certain types of ships you'll be facing in each tier. For example, the top speed of USN BBs and IJN BBs are different in mid tiers, with the USN being slower. You can't shoot at them at the same tick mark and get the same results. 

[CS7]
Members
75 posts
5,060 battles

iChase has a pretty good "Captains Academy" series in which he goes over the basics, with a little more in-depth focus.

Notser also made one as well

These are about a year old now, but the concepts should give you a better idea of where to start.

Edit: I saw that you mentioned watching youtube videos already. I would say the best thing to do now is focus on 1 ship you like to play and take it into co-op and/or training room. Get used to the shell performance of that particular ship, shell arcs, etc. Practice is really the only way you get better at aiming.

Edited by Balaams_Donkey
  • Cool 1

Members
400 posts
6,311 battles

Before you go into random play some co-op. Get the feel for the ship. In some instances it is unavoidable. Case being. If you have 2 enemy ships, one at 10 km and another at say 14 km and you feel the 14 km is more of a threat and you aim for it. [edited] usually drop in between both ships. This is the only instance where I feel the game machanics  are off. Practice though in co-op and like other poster said stop switching between ships because each ship shoots different. 

[SYN]
Members
4,541 posts
11,437 battles

Agree with SkaerKrow.  Find a boat that works, and that you like, and use it a lot.  Many boats have different ballistic qualities and it can throw you off if you're using a different boat every match.

Other than that all I can suggest is keep getting more experience.  Keep paying particular attention to how you aim, how the other ship is maneuvering, and try to best anticipate where he's going to be when your rounds arrive.  This isn't something that can be absolutely taught or guided - you have to keep practicing to figure it out yourself.

You're still kinda new-ish so give it time.  It will come.  That you're even aware of the problem and are seeking to improve it is a good sign.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I can't watch the videos right now but looking at the two examples you've given you have chosen a ship with really high muzzle velocity and another one that has very slow muzzle velocity. 

The difference is not only the arc but almost more importantly... maybe more importantly... is the shell travel time which you will see in your gunsight. 

Make sure you have the "alternative battle interface" option turned on in "controls" (I think) in settings. I don't even remember if that turns the shell travel time on in the gunsight or if it's always on- but it is possibly THE most important piece of information on your gunsight. 

No matter what gun you're firing, the shell travel time will help you make the connection to how far ahead of a target you need to lead. 

The shell travel time tells you where you need to aim the proper hashmark on the gunsight. Dynamic is calibrated to targets traveling at 30knts while the static is calibrated to a target traveling 20knts- assuming it is a larger target traveling perpendicular to you. Adjustments need to be made for small targets as well as those traveling any direction other than 90 degrees right or left of your trajectory. 

If shell travel time to your BB target traveling 30 knots broadside to you is 9 seconds and you want to aim at his citadel- then aim your 9 second hashmark on his citadel at the waterline and fire. 

[SF-3]
Members
1,502 posts
8,097 battles

1. Make sure alternate battle interface is on.

2. Make sure to lock onto the target you intend to shoot.

3. Look at the travel time and lead appropriately.

4. If you are shooting big guns at a broadside aim for the waterline, adjust aim or up or down depending on whether they are moving toward or away from you.

5. If you have smaller caliber guns shoot upper armor belt, or superstructure.

6. Depending on the enemy ship angle you may need to use HE.

• Cool 1

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,592 battles
32 minutes ago, FEBA64 said:

snip-

Aiming is a very different feeling in WoWs compared to every other game out there.  Each ship has different gun characteristics, which dramatically affect shell performance and how you have to aim.  Couple this with the vast number of ships you have to shoot at, and how each one has differing speeds and sizes, and you need to learn a lot about the game to hit targets effectively.  Figuring out all of the different ballistics of each ship takes a lot of time.  If you're having trouble figuring it out, I'd recommend sticking with one single line, and preferably one ship, until you get that down.  If you find yourself still having difficulties, try changing up your crosshair.  Outside that, there isn't much you can do.   It just takes practice and game knowledge.  

[LSKF]
Members
94 posts
2,182 battles

Different ships have different shell velocity. Try playing the same ship for some time and try to get used to the way they feel.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,095 posts
6,729 battles

The #1 way to get better is to hit ++++ to make your minimap bigger and then watch it continuously.

Positioning is more important than any other ability in this game. Minimap provides a ton of information (make sure to turn on a lot more information on it, last position and ship names in particular).

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
58 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

If you change ships regularly while playing, stop doing so. Each ship’s guns handle differently, and if you change ships several times during a play session you may struggle to get the timing down for how much lead that you need to give to your shots. I always do better with my gunnery when I pick one ship and stick with it as opposed to bouncing around my premium fleet. 

I play a lot of different ships, and don't use any of the reticle ticks, it's all by eye.

The key to that IMO is I just kind of group my ships into 3 categories: catapults, cannons, and railguns. I have a basic lead amount for each, and then only a minor adjustment might be needed for an individual ship.

One thing which I believe is absolutely critical is having a reasonably accurate idea of the target angle. A ship that looks broadside could be 10-15 degrees off, and at mid-long ranges, will cause you to miss. 

Even just a quick glance at the minimap to see if that apparently broadside ship is closing or opening the range is extremely helpful.

If a target is sailing in a straight line, the almost-broadside one is the one I'm most likely to miss (or tickle) if I neglect this.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,187 posts
12,684 battles
1 hour ago, SkaerKrow said:

This is a very good tip.

[-GPS-]
Members
106 posts
7,285 battles

As others have said, get comfortable with hitting shots with “fast” velocity guns. I would recommend the Russian cruisers/dds, as they are hands down the flattest arc shells in the game. Don’t switch to other ships for a few play sessions. When you get that down and your accuracy is high, then move to other ships and get a feel for how the timing changes as you proceed to the “floaty” she’ll end of the spectrum such as American dds or the British CLs. Remember it is a hard skill to learn, you are moving, they are usually moving and distance creates a huge variable in timing.

[PROJX]
Members
968 posts
15,684 battles
1 hour ago, FEBA64 said:

hello fellow captains, I;m looking for advice on the one in game combat action that seems to elude me!  aiming!!! 

no matter how hard I try, no matter how many "youtube" videos I watch I cannot seem to be consistent hitting a target.

now before all you  yell, "watch youtube video "blah" and so and so's video on "aiming" I have, and I follow it as described.

I have a replay of a couple of  games where i follow the advice in the videos (although the replay doesnt show the aiming ticks)  but it still goes (edited) faced.

please I am not loking for tactical advice (not yet anyway) but constuctive advice only

Thank you

FEBA64

Hey Feba64! - The links below are a few forum articles I've posted that may help w/ aiming issues and also help you get better results when you do hit your targets:

• WOWS Enjoyment - Ships & Shooting - Explains what to shoot, at what types of ships, in what circumstances, aiming where to get more damage results
  • WOWS Enjoyment - Shooting Angled Targets - Explains how to use your aim reticule to gauge hitting angled targets, also explains what target angling does to actual horizontal/vertical lead adjustments when shooting at targets- has simple method for visually calculating lead when you can approximate its speed.
  • WOWS Enjoyment - List of Guides - Articles on this and other Game Mechanics (25 articles or so) - How to get Rewards more quickly, get more XP, faster route to 19 pt captains, Tactical (Maneuvering - protecting yourself, turn strategies, kiting, flanking, etc., Brawling in addition to Shooting) and Strategic guides (Cap Strategies, Lanchesters Law)
  • WOWS Enjoyment - Enabling Replays & Training Rooms - (No Mods Required) - The training room is useful to try out where to hit any specific ship you want to practice on to test out its vulnerabilities.

Good luck & fair seas, o7!

Edited by hangglide42

[PSP]
Members
6,222 posts
8,848 battles

I've heard rumors that the training room will soon be an official part of the port menu. Use of it versus bots that act as you have told them too and don't shoot back will help a lot of new players get the hang of aiming their guns. You can play Co-ops and practice but WG continues to make the UI better at acting like human players and sometimes the bots aren't all that easy to hit either. Human players are oftentimes all that much more difficult to hit because they learn to anticipate you and react accordingly.  If you've ever shot trap or skeet and then tried to hunt real birds you will understand the difference.

Aiming in WOWS probably should be approached technically at first until your mind becomes aware of where the shells will usually land. Soon, however, your mind will adapt and your aiming will become more intuitive.

Here are some factors that I assess before firing my first salvo.

What type of ship is it? I use the dynamic crosshair and thus know that I must sim around tick  5 for slow battleships, 8 for fast battleships, and ten for cruisers and most destroyers, though really fast ships, like Russian destroyers, need a 12 ro 15 lead.

Is the ship going at full speed? Look at the smokestack as it will give you an idea, not only of the ship's speed but its general heading as well.

Is the ship angled? Angled ships are more difficult to hit. WHat I usually do with them is to place the aim point as if they were going straight across and then lower it to where it looks like the ship would run into it should it continue on that heading.

Fire one turret and then see where the shells land, adjust until you hit the ship. After this, fire for effect.

Afew hints.

If a DD is laying smoke it's usually slowing down. GIve it less lead in these circumstances.

Don't assume that ships always travel at full speed, always watch where your shells land until you know that you are hitting the ship.

If a ship is sitting still, be aware that he might accelerate and cause your shells to miss. Until you get an idea of what he's up to, it's oftentimes a good idea to fire one turret dead center, one a bit to the front and one a bit to the rear of his ship.

If you find that you just can't hit a ship, leave it be and go hunt another one. Far too many times I've seen players continue to fire at a wiggling DD where there were low-health cruisers and battleships in range with not a shell flying their way.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,600 posts
4,013 battles

Also, if you're like me and the "just play one ship" advice doesn't fly so well:

1) Enable the Dynamic Reticle.  Note that this changes the number scale on your reticle from "lead target this many seconds if they're going 20 knots perpendicular to your line of aim" to "lead target this many seconds if they're going *30* knots perpendicular to your line of aim".

2) Before dropping into every match, review the shell speed in the artillery section.  This will help you mentally shift gears between guns with faster shells (flatter shell arcs, less lead required) and those with slower shells (higher arcs, more lead required).

3) Every time you shoot, check the shell travel time, estimate the target's speed and how close its course is to perpendicular to the line of aim, and most importantly use the numbers on the reticle to guide your lead!!!

4) Watch as your shells fall and your target manuevers.

If you follow these steps, you will find more accurate first salvos, and you'll spend less time walking rounds onto your targets.  (But you're still going to have trouble hitting a manuevering DD at 10+ km - that's just how the game works.)

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,368 battles
2 hours ago, FEBA64 said:

Thank you

FEBA64

Sorry to hear you have had a difficult time with aiming. Have you tried practicing your aiming in Co-Op mode? Also, you might want to change your reticle to something like Static #7 that will give you a larger bullseye. Are you lining your horizontal cross hair on the waterline of the ship and leading your shots as well? Try these strategies out might help getting more hits along with sticking with one of your favorite ships you feel confident you can consistently get hits in.  Finally, after firing your shots press 'Z'  to see how they travel and land then make the necessary adjustments. Good luck and contact me if you have any other questions or need assistance.

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,079 posts
8,962 battles
2 hours ago, Balaams_Donkey said:

iChase has a pretty good "Captains Academy" series in which he goes over the basics, with a little more in-depth focus.

Notser also made one as well

These are about a year old now, but the concepts should give you a better idea of where to start.

Edit: I saw that you mentioned watching youtube videos already. I would say the best thing to do now is focus on 1 ship you like to play and take it into co-op and/or training room. Get used to the shell performance of that particular ship, shell arcs, etc. Practice is really the only way you get better at aiming.

Get Gud at reading the posts.

[TSPC]
Members
178 posts
6,416 battles

Also, activate alternative display or something - this will show time to target allowing you better estimate lead

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,722 posts
15,351 battles

Send me your replays and I'll do a commentary video!  Many people have found this to be useful - links in my signature.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
943 posts
10,404 battles
3 hours ago, FEBA64 said:

Thank you

FEBA64

There are 2 pieces to aiming, 1)  learning to aim where a ship will be if it hold its course and speed steady and 2) anticipation of how your target will change course and speed. You can do (1) really well, but you'll still be missing a lot of your shots if you fail to anticipate what your opponent is going to do. Youtube videos can teach (1), but you need experience to learn how to do (2). The signs are subtle, but they are there; if they are turning towards you, you need to aim lower than if they were going in a straight line; if they are turning away you need to aim higher. How much lower/higher depends on how fast they are turning. 

[CS7]
Members
75 posts
5,060 battles
1 hour ago, Nachoo31 said:

Get Gud at reading the posts.

Hence why I made this addendum at the end:

"Edit: I saw that you mentioned watching youtube videos already. I would say the best thing to do now is focus on 1 ship you like to play and take it into co-op and/or training room. Get used to the shell performance of that particular ship, shell arcs, etc. Practice is really the only way you get better at aiming."

Right back at ya. :)

• Funny 1