You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SpeedySpeedBoi

WoWs Crashed, and Now My Computer Won't Boot

13 comments in this topic

[BLUMR]
Members
66 posts
6,329 battles

Last night, I was playing WoWs, and -as I attempted to load into a match, the game crashed and completely froze my computer. I then turned off my computer, booted it back up, and ran through a diagnostic test to recover any potentially-lost data. The computer successfully booted back up, so I logged back into WoWs. This time, the game crashed just trying to load into the port. So, I then had to turn off the computer, and I went through a second diagnostic test.

Afterwards, I was promptly sent to a blue screen that advised me that "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC." After going through twenty-ish restarts and shut-offs just to try to access the the log-in menu, my computer just black-screens after showing the "Lenovo" logo.

I have no idea how to resolve this issue, and the only way I could find of how to resolve the "Automatic Repair loop" is to use the command prompt; which I cannot access, due to the blackscreening. If anyone can help me resolve this issue, or just help me get back to seeing the blue (Windows 10) options menu, then I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't know what caused my computer to act this way: Either WoWs crashing my entire computer, or the fact that I had to shut-off my computer, after said crash.

[POP]
Members
1,234 posts
8,245 battles

I think it likely that the crash wasn't WoWS causing the computer to die, but the computer dying causing WoWS to crash. This sounds like a hardware fault. 

If you have a CD drive, then try to boot off that with a restore disk or Windows install disk.

If not, you might see if you can disconnect the hard drive and read it from another computer (not boot from it, just read it). If not, then the drive has died. If so, but the machine won't boot from a disc, then something in the machine is busted. 

[BLUMR]
Members
66 posts
6,329 battles
4 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

I think it likely that the crash wasn't WoWS causing the computer to die, but the computer dying causing WoWS to crash. This sounds like a hardware fault. 

If you have a CD drive, then try to boot off that with a restore disk or Windows install disk.

If not, you might see if you can disconnect the hard drive and read it from another computer (not boot from it, just read it). If not, then the drive has died. If so, but the machine won't boot from a disc, then something in the machine is busted. 

Thank you for responding! It's a laptop, so the most I can do is disconnect and reconnect the hard drive, and hope for the best, going by your suggestions. I don't have any means of connecting the drive to another computer, or even using an installation disk. So, that's out of the question, unfortunately.

[POP]
Members
1,234 posts
8,245 battles
Just now, SpeedySpeedBoi said:

Thank you for responding! It's a laptop, so the most I can do is disconnect and reconnect the hard drive, and hope for the best, going by your suggestions. I don't have any means of connecting the drive to another computer, or even using an installation disk. So, that's out of the question, unfortunately.

I hate modern laptops. If any single part of them fail, you just have to get a new one and hope you can extract the hard drive and get the information off of it.  I have to use one for work, but I don't use it for anything else. 

Sorry. You might take it to a best buy or something to see if they can figure out the cause. But it really sounds like the hard drive or the computer itself is borked. 

[BLUMR]
Members
66 posts
6,329 battles

To make matters even worse, the APU my laptop has is embedded into the motherboard. Blegh. I'll have to see if the Geek Squad can diagnose the issue, next weekend, if I cannot access the hard drive without any issues. It's lasted me a little more than two years, but I guess that seems to be the life-span of a $300 laptop. :Smile_sad:

[VOP]
Members
332 posts
6,799 battles

You said you had a Lenovo. The newer machines come with a reset button on the back of the laptop. It is a very small sized hole on the back of the laptop just below the screw and below the area where you would attach a docking station to the laptop. Just something enough to fit a paper clip into and press the little button on the mother board.

Check and see if you have such a reset option...better yet look up your laptop model type to see if it does exist for your laptop type. It certainly beats paying geek squad 100$ just to have them do the same thing. It's worth a shot at this point. :Smile_honoring:

[BLUMR]
Members
66 posts
6,329 battles
10 hours ago, USMCGal said:

You said you had a Lenovo. The newer machines come with a reset button on the back of the laptop. It is a very small sized hole on the back of the laptop just below the screw and below the area where you would attach a docking station to the laptop. Just something enough to fit a paper clip into and press the little button on the mother board.

Check and see if you have such a reset option...better yet look up your laptop model type to see if it does exist for your laptop type. It certainly beats paying geek squad 100$ just to have them do the same thing. It's worth a shot at this point. :Smile_honoring:

That sounds like a nice feature to have, the reset button. But unfortunately, even with my computer being manufactured in 2015 (older model, I suppose), it does not come with said reset button. I just now took off the back of the machine, disconnected and reconnected the drive, and am now booting up the computer.

The computer still wants to go through the diagnosis phase, so I will have to wait and see what the outcome is. Aside from that, I can hear the drive creaking a bit, every minute or so. I just hope that means that something's working.. :Smile_sad:

[VOP]
Members
332 posts
6,799 battles
2 hours ago, SpeedySpeedBoi said:

That sounds like a nice feature to have, the reset button. But unfortunately, even with my computer being manufactured in 2015 (older model, I suppose), it does not come with said reset button. I just now took off the back of the machine, disconnected and reconnected the drive, and am now booting up the computer.

The computer still wants to go through the diagnosis phase, so I will have to wait and see what the outcome is. Aside from that, I can hear the drive creaking a bit, every minute or so. I just hope that means that something's working.. :Smile_sad:

I wasn't sure how old your pc was hence the suggestion. I hope you can get your pc back up and running again.

• Cool 1

[BLUMR]
Members
66 posts
6,329 battles
1 hour ago, USMCGal said:

I wasn't sure how old your pc was hence the suggestion. I hope you can get your pc back up and running again.

Thank you for your assistance, mate. I do hope so, as well! Doesn't look like I'll be playing WoWs for a while, as of right now.

[VOP]
Members
332 posts
6,799 battles
10 hours ago, SpeedySpeedBoi said:

Thank you for your assistance, mate. I do hope so, as well! Doesn't look like I'll be playing WoWs for a while, as of right now.

Have you tried to look at Lenovo's website for any fixes? It may be a known issue for your laptop model and they may have a fix that you could resolve on your own.

I found this one here:-http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3051432/lenovo-laptop-turns-black-screen.html

and this one- https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Laptop-Won-t-Boot-BLACK-SCREEN-NO-BIOS-ACCES-NO-SAFE-MODE-SOLVED/m-p/1432831#M90781 

I don't know if they will work with the model of laptop you have though...:Smile_sad:

[BLUMR]
Members
66 posts
6,329 battles
14 hours ago, USMCGal said:

Have you tried to look at Lenovo's website for any fixes? It may be a known issue for your laptop model and they may have a fix that you could resolve on your own.

I found this one here:-http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3051432/lenovo-laptop-turns-black-screen.html

and this one- https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Laptop-Won-t-Boot-BLACK-SCREEN-NO-BIOS-ACCES-NO-SAFE-MODE-SOLVED/m-p/1432831#M90781 

I don't know if they will work with the model of laptop you have though...:Smile_sad:

Apologies for the late reply, as I've just now seen it. I tried the Shift + F8/F12 this morning, and nothing came about. Computer just began its usual diagnosis, that accomplishes absolutely nothing. Speaking of which, that phase is said to only last an hour at the maximum. But, my laptop was under said phase for over twelve hours. I'm officially calling it "dead", unfortunately. The thing can't even detect any data stored on my drive, and it crashed itself, when I tried to "select personal files that I want to keep, and delete everything else".

Again, I do appreciate your assistance, good sir. I'm glad to of had some extra input on what to do, to try to revive my computer. Thank you, again! :Smile_honoring:

Minor Note: It's a 2015 Lenovo G45-50

[VOP]
Members
332 posts
6,799 battles
6 hours ago, SpeedySpeedBoi said:

Apologies for the late reply, as I've just now seen it. I tried the Shift + F8/F12 this morning, and nothing came about. Computer just began its usual diagnosis, that accomplishes absolutely nothing. Speaking of which, that phase is said to only last an hour at the maximum. But, my laptop was under said phase for over twelve hours. I'm officially calling it "dead", unfortunately. The thing can't even detect any data stored on my drive, and it crashed itself, when I tried to "select personal files that I want to keep, and delete everything else".

Again, I do appreciate your assistance, good sir. I'm glad to of had some extra input on what to do, to try to revive my computer. Thank you, again! :Smile_honoring:

Minor Note: It's a 2015 Lenovo G45-50

No worries on the late reply and thanks for letting me know the status of your pc. I am truly sorry and hope you did not lose too much in the way of your personal data, pics etc. Time to start pc hunting...:Smile_honoring: 

[BLUMR]
Members
66 posts
6,329 battles
2 hours ago, USMCGal said:

No worries on the late reply and thanks for letting me know the status of your pc. I am truly sorry and hope you did not lose too much in the way of your personal data, pics etc. Time to start pc hunting...:Smile_honoring: 

No need for feel sorry. I'm not losing much valuable data, from what I can recall is on my drive. :Smile-_tongue:

Anyway, I'm looking at this Dell Inspiron Gaming 15 7000 or 5000 laptop, running for $700-$800. It would be a massive upgrade, which sounds like a pipe dream. It just a bit pricey, even though it is cheap, with its specifications.