Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

AP penetration power?

9 comments in this topic

Members
4,535 posts
6,426 battles

I will use my Svetlana as an example.  She mounts 130mm guns. At long ranges does the penetration power of a 130mm gun firing AP decrease?  Better to use HE at long range then switch to AP when you get close? I always struggle as to what round to use.  Constantly.  What is the dynamic here? I may be older than a lot here but I want PENETRATION POWER! :Smile_glasses:

[HINON]
Supertester
19,189 posts
12,700 battles

AP loses pen over distance, yes.

Members
4,535 posts
6,426 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

AP loses pen over distance, yes.

TKS.  I think I have asked this before but I forget. I forget a lotta sh#t these days. 

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

It should say what the penetration power is inside the game if I'm not mistaken.  If you highlight the main battery armament image on the right hand screen when you have your port opened up.  Should give you lines like Maximum AP damage AP travel time, shell velocity ect.  Along with the High Explosive information as well.  But you'd have to highlight the main armament section when in port for that particular ship.  I do believe its there.  Other wise there's always wikipedia.

Alpha Tester
333 posts
5,146 battles

Depends on the shell weight, muzzle velocity, and the hardness of the shells

Edited by Yamato_kai_BBY_01

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,437 posts
8,085 battles

Yeah, it loses power, why what I'm in, what I'm shooting at, and what the range is determines what I shoot at it. Occasionally other factors as well such as "Does it have torpedoes?".

Cruisers I likely switch ammo types the most because generally, not going to be citadeling a BB and unless they are on fire, better to start some, most cruisers AP will pen at range and generally doesn't overpen, unless I'm bouncing rounds, then HE, and DD's I switch rounds over to HE.

BB I usually stick to AP unless the angles bad, it's a bit undergunned (Scharn) at range, I know I'll be fighting a DD soon, UK cruisers/Atlanta/etc at close ranges (too many overpens at point blank on that thin armour have cost me, especially thinking I just nuked the citadel and learning that can be overpenned too), or if certain opponents are getting close and know they likely intend to use torps to try and disable the torps as they go to fire.

Members
325 posts
328 battles

Yesterday I wiped a Leander in a single AP salvo (2citadels), with my Kirov, 12km away. Not often but can happen...

Sign in to follow this