Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OgreMkV

Captain Skill - Catapult Aircraft

12 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,234 posts
8,261 battles

Is there any point to using this skill? 

The Montana seems to have almost more aircraft than a Bogue. I don't think it's even possible to use all of them in a 20 minute battle. 

Is it worth a point, or does it just give slightly better coverage for 90 seconds? 

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,560 posts

It gives twice coverage and you aren't immediately blind when you lose a plane.    One goes clockwise, the other counter-clock

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,556 posts
3,539 battles

It works well as a poor man's hydro because they can spot inbound torpedos and nearby hidden Destroyers

Members
1,640 posts
7,467 battles

I use it on 19point captains that have nothing better to take with the last point, I don't really notice it that much tbh.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,841 posts
11,537 battles

I used it for awhile right after the captain skill changes, people then though it was pretty powerful for one point. I was kinda disappointed with it personally and have largely respected out of it.

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
16,043 battles

Spotter planes are good for killing cruisers hiding in smoke in addition to spotting torps and DD. I link a youtube video below.

I don't see much use for catapult planes though cause I generally strafe them with my fighters when I play CV before sending in DB/TB.

Edited by SoftAndCute

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
16,043 battles
1 hour ago, Psycodiver said:

It works well as a poor man's hydro because they can spot inbound torpedos and nearby hidden Destroyers

Catapult fighters have same spotting range as spotter planes on torps and ships? I realize one cause panic spread to DB/TB and the other increases main battery firing range and gives elevated vision.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,448 posts
8,096 battles
1 hour ago, SoftAndCute said:

Catapult fighters have same spotting range as spotter planes on torps and ships? I realize one cause panic spread to DB/TB and the other increases main battery firing range and gives elevated vision.

Yep, exact same spotting but can debuff the TB's/DB's if the fighters aren't around to take them out. 

Beta Testers
1,481 posts
8,965 battles
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:52 PM, SoftAndCute said:

As to the "spotting range," the answer is both yes and no.

From a Technical standpoint, no aircraft of any type has a "spotting range" for seeing ship.  The "spotting range" is actually tied to the ship being spotted.  That is, each ship has a "detectability range" for both sea (other ships) and air (any kind of aircraft).  If an observer is in the target ship's detectability for the type of observer and line of sight is not blocked (e.g., by smoke), then then the target ship is spotted.  There is no variability based on the observer other than whether it is a ship or aircraft.

Thus, in that sense, yes, catapult spotters and catapult fighters as well as all types of carrier launched aircraft will all spot a given target at the same range, whatever range the target ship can be spotted from the air.  The type of aircraft is irrelevant.

On the other hand, catapult planes fly a circular route around the launching ship.  There is a difference, though.  While catapult fighters fly at a distance of 3.24km from the ship, catapult spotters fly at a distance of 4.23km from the ship.  Thus, while both the spotter and fighter will spot a given ship at the same distance from their respective locations, the ship that launched the spotter will be .9km further away when its spotter gets within that 3.5km range than it would be if it had been flying the fighter.

For example, using that same target with that 3.5km air detectability range:

Ship -- 3.24km --> Fighter -- 3.5km --> Target                (Range from ship to target = 6.74km)

Ship ------- 4.23km -------> Spotter -- 3.5km --> Target    (Range from ship to target = 7.73km)

So, yes, they spot a target at the same distance, but no, they are further from the ship that launched them so spotters can detect ships about .9km sooner (with respect to the launching ship) than a fighter.  All of these distances, of course, assume the plane is at a point in its circuit such that it is exactly between the launching ship and the target.

Beta Testers
1,481 posts
8,965 battles

The skill causes each launch to launch two aircraft, so you are flying two spotters or two fighters at a time at the cost of them flying a little slower.

Where I find this most useful is in a ship like the Perth that has both smoke and catapult aircraft.  If you have to smoke up with no teammates spotting for you, launching the catapult plane will help spot things for you.  Without the skill, you have only one aircraft in the air.  Because it flies a circular route around your ship, there are times it is on the opposite side of your ship from the target you want spotted and may be out of the ship's detectability range.  Even when it is in range, it can be shot down, blinding you again.

Having this skill launches two planes.  They will be in different locations (expanding the area being spotted) and having two up at a time means you will not be blinded if one of the gets shot down.

Sign in to follow this