Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sovereigndawg

No Love for the AP!

19 comments in this topic

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,050 battles

I'm talking about love from the mountable Signals. Signals have love for AA  and Secondaries. Signals give Love to HE two times and to Torpedoes three times. They give love to the Ship itself, a few times (Ramming, Speed and Detonations). They give love to fire and flooding repair and consumable reload. They give love to the Captain and to the War Fund. Signals, even give Love to research (XP and Free XP). Signals have absolutely no Love to give the AP though!

Edited by Sovereigndawg
Forgot the Speed Signal

[-K-]
Members
614 posts
4,840 battles

Mount flag and get more over pens? I do hear you though. 

Would be interesting to hear ideas. Its bad to see t8+ BBs that aren't British spamming HE even to broadside cruisers and other BBs.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,798 posts
9,825 battles

No Loves because the AP is too stronk!

it is an ultimatum of seal clubbing and starting of cheater blame or hax0r

Edit

why on earth, a Fuso vs Fuso, but go into HE mode while dueling it out, got smacked in the face, Fuso then go on and 2 citadel a NC and got blamed as hax0r. Weekend warrior is unavoidable!!

Edited by ObiwankzKenobi

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

It is an interesting idea, but how do you go about making a bonus for it? AP is a funny thing to try and buff/nerf.

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,050 battles
10 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

It is an interesting idea, but how do you go about making a bonus for it? AP is a funny thing to try and buff/nerf.

More of an observation but I figured people might throw out some ideas, I don't really have one of my own. I think in the past they had a  signal design contest of some kind if I remember right.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[FOXEH]
Members
3,353 posts
12,138 battles
18 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I'm talking about love from the mountable Signals. Signals have love for AA  and Secondaries. Signals give Love to HE two times and to Torpedoes three times. They give love to the Ship itself, a few times (Ramming, Speed and Detonations). They give love to fire and flooding repair and consumable reload. They give love to the Captain and to the War Fund. Signals, even give Love to research (XP and Free XP). Signals have absolutely no Love to give the AP though!

How do you want it to love you?

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,050 battles
2 minutes ago, Khafni said:

How do you want it to love you?

Well, I'm not going to say by penetration, even though that's what they do.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[FOXEH]
Members
3,353 posts
12,138 battles
Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

Well, I'm not going to say by penetration, even though that's what they do.

Maybe WG should shorten the fuse timer so they blow before they penetrate fully? You know, just after they pierce the wall they explode in the hollow cavity. Devastating, no?

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

AP doesn't need any flags or anything.  AP is just fine on it's own as long as you know how to aim.   You can't miss the shot.  Get tons of damage.

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,050 battles
1 minute ago, 0crazy8s0 said:

AP doesn't need any flags or anything.  AP is just fine on it's own as long as you know how to aim.   You can't miss the shot.  Get tons of damage.

I don't necessarily think it needs one either  and I don't know if there is even a chance for fire at all with AP. If there is a chance for a fire with AP, then I guess it does get Love, but if it has zero chance then it doesn't. Zero times any number is still Zero. One day when I was a kid my Pops said he was going to triple what he paid me for doing the lawn, he was previously paying me nothing.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,094 posts
14,503 battles

You don't want a "bonus" to shorten the fuse of AP, especially for BB AP.  Sure, it's going to help with less overpens on Cruisers but it will also lessen the penetration you get against heavier armor, i.e. other Battleships.

Cruisers don't need this.

I wouldn't want it on my BBs.

BBs can already wreck Cruisers pretty good, do you really need more help in that?  OTOH, you need every bit of penetration to wallop another Battleship.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
3,784 posts
14,050 battles
44 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Signals have absolutely no Love to give the AP though!

But... But... BBs might actually use AP against other BBs instead of only on Cruisers if that happened!  :cap_haloween: :Smile_ohmy:

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,904 battles

AP needs love *A Hindenburg player*

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
496 posts
3,658 battles

Treading close to gold shell effects here.  How about a signal that increases penetration/shell velocity but at reduced damage potential. Similar to proposed balance changes to WoT gold shells I think

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

AP (Armor Piercing Ammunition), was not in anyway shape or form designed to catch anything on fire.  Hence it's name Armor Piercing.  It was basically designed to quite literally PUNCH A HOLE through  a ship. Doing a little research on it they actually had little to no explosive charge in the shells.  If the ship has light armor and the shell hits in the right spot.  Especially in the citadel region.  Yea kiss him goodbye and say DELETED.

High Explosive shells were properly designed to do what they do.  Explode on impact to cause fire damage.  Which is the reason the developers made the flags for the HE for more of a chance to have an impact with this round in the game. But then again you have that marginal error room.  The percentage chance of actually causing a fire using HE shells.

Generally if I am playing battleships I will always use AP,  unless I'm just dinking around and I wanna burn stuff.  Then I will fire HE.  PYRO TIME.  Cruisers it's going to be a 50/50 chance but primarily I use AP in cruisers.  Destroyers depending on the situation it will be either or.  But the fact is AP does not need any love it's just fine the way it is.

Edited by 0crazy8s0

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,487 battles

I don't think there are any flags that increase damage directly, they're all essentially doing so through enhancing a secondary effect (flooding, fire chance, etc.)

To do this with AP you'd have to implement some wonky mechanic that increased penetration or normalization, or perhaps the fuse delay.  All of these are pretty crucial mechanics for overall ship balance.  Adding a flag that, for example allowed a certain gun calibre to all of a sudden overmatch armour that is tuned to a very specific number would be all kinds of broken in a way that 1% greater chance to cause a fire probably isn't.

That said, I generally think that any flags that actually directly increase combat effectiveness either need to be readily available to all players without spending money or should be removed.  Players who are better, and thus manage to complete more missions or receive more medals, probably shouldn't also be getting a damage bonus on top of this, even if it's relatively minimal or situational.  I'd prefer if they stuck to economy/xp increases and the like rather than combat effects, but especially damage related ones.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,725 posts
8,254 battles

AP is already strong, it doesn't need any kind of buff .

That said, I would like to have signal that turn cit hit into pen damage. I mean we have det flag, why not cit flag ? :3

Sign in to follow this