You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Do we really need explosions every kill?

38 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
22,934 posts
23,508 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I am tired of all these explosions. I can see an explosion for a detonation. I can even see an explosion for a devastating strike. But do we need huge explosions every time one's ship is sunk? I think that I'd prefer it if there were a couple more sinking animation. Once could be a ship that lists sharply before it sinks from a flooding, then there could be small boiler secondary explosions. Something similar could occur with a fire but with the ship's armament exploding, say like a few firecrackers. With flooding and burning, however, there wouldn't be the big KABOOM! seen with detonations and devastating strikes. 

I agree 10000000000000000%

Frankly, ships that sink due to flooding should slip under the waves quietly.  Ditto for ships that sink due to fire.

I agree that detonations and dev strikes should have nice large explosions.  But it seems to me that a ship with a tiny amount of HP left and gets killed by a single shell hit, particularly a smaller caliber shell hit, should probably die relatively quietly.  Perhaps just the explosion of the shell itself, but no other large explosion.

45 minutes ago, thegreenbaron said:

Yes, but that cargo ship (SS Grandcamp) was also packed with 2 kilotons of explosive material.  Enough explosives to outfit half a dozen battleships.

Well, IIRC, ammunition ships don't travel in the middle of a tight convoy for a reason.  It's one thing to have an ammo ship get sunk, but quite another for it to destroy a number of other nearby ships due to its own detonation, which is probably relatively likely given its  cargo.

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,562 posts
4,805 battles
27 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Well, IIRC, ammunition ships don't travel in the middle of a tight convoy for a reason.  It's one thing to have an ammo ship get sunk, but quite another for it to destroy a number of other nearby ships due to its own detonation, which is probably relatively likely given its  cargo.

Nope, they blow up while waiting to join the convoy in the Harbour entrance and kill 2000 people and injure another 9000 on the shore :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

M

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,624 posts
6,979 battles

A little more variety is always a good thing. 

[TF16A]
Members
498 posts
7,290 battles
1 hour ago, TornadoADV said:

I love when flooding causes the victim's powder stores to all go off at once. That's totally realistic, right? :fish_book:

1 hour ago, ENO75 said:

I'm with OP on this... if your ship trickles down to death via a flood or a fire... or a 5" round from a DD AP shell or worse and HE shell... SOMETHING needs to happen but I'm not sure the equivalent of the ships boilers exploding each and every time is the solution. 

This effect has gradually matured and I'm CONVINCED that this is a placeholder for more elaborate sinkings later on. I think a klaxon sounding and calls of "Abandon ship! Abandon Ship!" with frothing around the waterline would be enough for those trickle down deaths. I mean the end game ship deaths- the gradual break ups etc are great... There are actually times I watch a ship's bow sink beneath the waves and it's... it's... People who are alive today have seen that happen in real life while bobbing up and down in shark infested waters- It's gripping if you let yourself imagine yourself there even for a split second. Not to sound dramatic- but they've really captured the effect. 

I don't recall which ship it was that rolled over on video and exploded as it went over- suggestions I've read were that it was in fact cold sea water meeting the boilers resulting in a catastrophic failure... I think there is a place for relevant catastrophic failures- but it should be something that is relevant to how you died. 

The video you are talking about is of the HMS Barham.  This also happened to the Yamato when she sank.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,592 posts
10,804 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

LOL, in a game once a player asked in chat why he couldn't fire his guns anymore. I told him that it was because he was dead. I guess some people really need an unequivocal confirmation of a ship kill.

:Smile_facepalm:. No, they just need to Remember the first lesson - "Always mind your surroundings". While there are certain changes I do feel the game may need to be "easier" in the minds of some, I think there are other basic issues a player needs to tackle if they don't realize they've been sunk on their part, not Wargamig's.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
8,338 battles
16 hours ago, SoftAndCute said:

I would like to see burning people jumping into water and circling sharks biting people's heads and limbs off with blood all over water

This is the best I can do for you.

th?id=OIP.WTTliKLKyIp-lI3vcqr1XwHaEM&pidth?id=OIP.5l90swX78SU-m2sfHz1ZRAHaEr&pid

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
8,338 battles
19 hours ago, dmckay said:

MORE plosions.  More. 68 and I want sh#t blowing up real good. Yup

Ghostdog also like fire and explosions. Ghostdog like seeing burned, charred, sinking red ships as he sail over their watery grave. Glorious.

th?id=OIP.KpcjzlTqUwytUILi_CnYiAHaFQ&pidth?id=OIP.Hho9Va6aGCEMeepe2gKv2QHaKs&pidth?id=OIP.JgZBgb1EAvrJkKNsaLdbkAHaHJ&pid

Members
1,866 posts

IRL the larger ships wouldn't sink in the timeframe of a battle. "Out of hit-points" ships could sometimes stay afloat until the next day. And sometimes a few guys would still try to shoot any guns that were left under local control. Ever the "detonated" Hood got off one last shot as it went down.

[OO7]
Beta Testers
462 posts
10,229 battles

Id love some more secondary explosions that lead to a ship detonating. 

Explosions just as the ship is about to slip below the surface too.

Something to differentiate between dev. Strikes, detonations, flooding, fire, normal kills.

[SYN]
Members
5,446 posts
12,704 battles

It is kind of funny to see a ship explode when it's destroyed due to flooding.  Also, though the new explosions are nice, would like to see a distinct difference between a regular destruction and a detonation.

One of the things I've always liked is after a ship is destroyed due to fires (as opposed to a direct hit finishing off)  how it continues smoldering as it's sinking.  Always thought that was a nice touch.