You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Do we really need explosions every kill?

38 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,284 posts
8,912 battles

I am tired of all these explosions. I can see an explosion for a detonation. I can even see an explosion for a devastating strike. But do we need huge explosions every time one's ship is sunk? I think that I'd prefer it if there were a couple more sinking animation. Once could be a ship that lists sharply before it sinks from a flooding, then there could be small boiler secondary explosions. Something similar could occur with a fire but with the ship's armament exploding, say like a few firecrackers. With flooding and burning, however, there wouldn't be the big KABOOM! seen with detonations and devastating strikes. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,461 posts
2,405 battles

Yes, and no.

Yes, in that it is nice to have a definitive "it dead" sound so you don't waste your ordnance on the hulk.

No, in that the kills get kinda monotonous.  Plus, things like lists and secondary explosions would provide a clue as to the internal condition of the ship.  Several things could be done here, but most would be subtle, with little apparent impact.

And hasn't there been a promise that actual detonations would become spectacular?   Waiting...

[PSP]
Members
6,284 posts
8,912 battles
13 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

And hasn't there been a promise that actual detonations would become spectacular?   Waiting...

Every time that a ship has actually detonated in history there has been no doubt at all what happened, because it went up like a small nuclear explosion. The detonation of a cargo ship in Texas once destroyed a small city.  

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Some variety would be nice I suppose. Small explosions, medium explosions, large explosions, massive explosions, super massive explosions, nuclear explosions. Perhaps a ship could split in two from torpedoes too.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,107 battles

I do think we need less immediate explosions and some other way, beyond our ship exploding, that we've been killed besides, y'know, paying attention. I do feel like we have less variety than we used to. I can't remember the last time I saw a ship just sink. It's almost almost always been roll, break in two, sink. I miss when sometimes BB's and cruisers would just go down bow/stern first (ala Titanic in "A night to Remember") without rolling, like when they were rammed, or the same but more like Titanic asyou see in James Cameron's version, when BB's would have their bow/stern ripped or blown off or ships in general, the closest you get is the occasional DD ripped in half after a torp. I wanna see BB's killed by torps/citadel/etc where the ship breaks in two at the middle and just sinks.

[PSP]
Members
6,284 posts
8,912 battles
Just now, Elegant_Winter said:

Some variety would be nice I suppose. Small explosions, medium explosions, large explosions, massive explosions, super massive explosions, nuclear explosions. Perhaps a ship could split in two from torpedoes too.

I realize that it would be difficult to model and implement but several ships have actually had their bows blown blown completely off by torpedoes. WOWS already has a ship hull splitting animation for a sinking ship --one of my ships rolled over and split in two before sinking recently.

I kind of miss "Ole Jumpy" but it's been fixed. I posted this video in one of my first posts here.

[PSP]
Members
6,284 posts
8,912 battles
4 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

some other way, beyond our ship exploding, that we've been killed besides, y'know, paying attention.

LOL, in a game once a player asked in chat why he couldn't fire his guns anymore. I told him that it was because he was dead. I guess some people really need an unequivocal confirmation of a ship kill.

Members
2,481 posts
2,336 battles

I mean you could have the same sound of a CV death play when you kill something, and on the other side of things have a bell ringing as someone says abandon ship. No explosion needed, though it may or may not be as satisfying.  

Members
4,555 posts
6,481 battles

OP the young kids LOVE big plosions.  Love it!  Look at the movies these days.  Plosions all the time.  Tons of gasoline. 

Actually I tend to agree with you.

MORE plosions.  More. 68 and I want sh#t blowing up real good. Yup.:Smile_glasses:

[PSP]
Members
6,284 posts
8,912 battles
8 minutes ago, dmckay said:

OP the young kids LOVE big plosions.  Love it!  Look at the movies these days.  Plosions all the time.  Tons of gasoline. 

Michael Bay seems to think explosions are where it's at, and his half billion dollar wealth tends to support your theory that the kiddies like them too.

[TF-64]
Members
374 posts
12,806 battles

I want more and bigger explosions. I want detonations to be seen from the entire map. I want devastating strikes to make waves. I actually enjoyed the glitchy times of ships spinning like a top. So yes we need explosions every. Single. Time! I want to see the damage on those cities when I shore bombard because the opfor is on the other side of the map and they can't even see me shoot. :etc_red_button:more. More explosions I say. :fish_viking::cap_haloween:

Members
4,555 posts
6,481 battles
11 minutes ago, Slightlyaskewed said:

I want more and bigger explosions. I want detonations to be seen from the entire map. I want devastating strikes to make waves. I actually enjoyed the glitchy times of ships spinning like a top. So yes we need explosions every. Single. Time! I want to see the damage on those cities when I shore bombard because the opfor is on the other side of the map and they can't even see me shoot. :etc_red_button:more. More explosions I say. :fish_viking::cap_haloween:

Ha!  Bigger and better explosions. Hell that will up the player base by at lease 1/4.  BIG. Nuclear explosions!!!  This sells.  Just go to the movies. Sex and explosions. That is the Hollywood formula. BUT....they are anti violent....so they say.  Ya.  Right. Ha ha. :Smile_teethhappy:  They live by the gun and violence.  Ever notice???

Edited by dmckay

[-K-]
Members
614 posts
4,842 battles

Variety would be nice, depending on how a ship is being destroyed. For example, a fire death or most damage from HE should result in the explosion. Flooding or torps should be a submerged/roll over etc.

A devastating strike would be great to see the bow break off and two separate parts sink. CVs are another option with the DB and AP/HE bombs causing explosions up.

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,400 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I am tired of all these explosions. I can see an explosion for a detonation. I can even see an explosion for a devastating strike. But do we need huge explosions every time one's ship is sunk? I think that I'd prefer it if there were a couple more sinking animation. Once could be a ship that lists sharply before it sinks from a flooding, then there could be small boiler secondary explosions. Something similar could occur with a fire but with the ship's armament exploding, say like a few firecrackers. With flooding and burning, however, there wouldn't be the big KABOOM! seen with detonations and devastating strikes. 

Snarg, write a poem about it ok. Love messin with you ok so don't torp me!!

th?id=OIP.kmSSonnnnWK_tnE5V9Q_XAHaFo&pidth?id=OIP.kGlyihYMP2lB49YZxN_-0QEsDv&pid

• Funny 1

[PSP]
Members
6,284 posts
8,912 battles

Devastating Strikes could continue like they are. However, actual detonations need to be more like this:

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[TF-64]
Members
374 posts
12,806 battles

Yeah I don't know who is more hypocritical, Hollywood or politicians. But I want more boom in my game. This is my stress reliever so more boom means more enjoyment. I just wish I had a rig that could handle a higher graphics setting to make it more enjoyable than it already is. 

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,023 posts

I love when flooding causes the victim's powder stores to all go off at once. That's totally realistic, right? :fish_book:

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
16,054 battles

I would like to see burning people jumping into water and circling sharks biting people's heads and limbs off with blood all over water. 

Edited by SoftAndCute
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

Yes we do especially when the infamous DETONATION happens.  Detonations need much much much bigger explosions.

[KERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,069 posts
4,353 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

The detonation of a cargo ship in Texas once destroyed a small city.  

Yes, but that cargo ship (SS Grandcamp) was also packed with 2 kilotons of explosive material.  Enough explosives to outfit half a dozen battleships.

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,914 battles

I don't know why, but I do miss the ole "toilet flush" sinking that WG had a while back because of a bug in the code.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I'm with OP on this... if your ship trickles down to death via a flood or a fire... or a 5" round from a DD AP shell or worse and HE shell... SOMETHING needs to happen but I'm not sure the equivalent of the ships boilers exploding each and every time is the solution. 

This effect has gradually matured and I'm CONVINCED that this is a placeholder for more elaborate sinkings later on. I think a klaxon sounding and calls of "Abandon ship! Abandon Ship!" with frothing around the waterline would be enough for those trickle down deaths. I mean the end game ship deaths- the gradual break ups etc are great... There are actually times I watch a ship's bow sink beneath the waves and it's... it's... People who are alive today have seen that happen in real life while bobbing up and down in shark infested waters- It's gripping if you let yourself imagine yourself there even for a split second. Not to sound dramatic- but they've really captured the effect. 

I don't recall which ship it was that rolled over on video and exploded as it went over- suggestions I've read were that it was in fact cold sea water meeting the boilers resulting in a catastrophic failure... I think there is a place for relevant catastrophic failures- but it should be something that is relevant to how you died.