You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Scotland? Ancestry?

17 comments in this topic

Members
4,569 posts
6,516 battles

Just messing around here this afternoon.  Who here is of Scottish ancestry?  My great great great (i forget how many greats) left the region of Sutherland which is the Northern most region of Scotland in 1701.  Left from port of Scourie according to my family history. Name was Robert Mackay of Clan Mackay.  Left, according to the history, because the English had subjugated the Scots and sh#t was bad for them.  He just got the hell out. The enclosures it's called. Reduced to peasants. We ended up way up in Northern Sutherland cause we lost a clan war in the region of Loch Ness and had to move to the far North of Scotland around the 14th century. Those clans were nuts.  Fought each other as much as they fought the English.  Legend has it that one of my ancestors in the 15th century burnt down the church his brother was a minister in and all the people in it cause they were feuding with each other.  Crazy.

Just curious. I like Scottish history.  Also love the bagpipes.  My avatar is John Paul Jones who was from Scotland.  "Sir I have not yet begun to fight!"  Neither have I but I will figure this game out someday.  Heh... Carry on.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,492 battles

Aye, count me in there, tho most of my forbears have been on the left side of the pond for a looong time.  Came from around Elgin. 

[GWG]
Members
163 posts
3,544 battles

I've got some Scots blood from what I've been told, but the actual linage and where from has been lost to history. Family oral tradition says that we had some relatives from Scotland come over and into the US during the mid 1890's from Quebec; but when I've tried to look up the name, I've come up empty.

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,981 posts
9,947 battles

I was told when young that we had some Scottish ancestry from the North Westish end near the Orkney Island area (so that would probably mean some Viking types in there to) . The family name was Caithness (?) .

:cap_viking:

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
957 posts
3,049 battles

Grandmother did a lot of genealogy. Got us back to Robert the Bruce and the Black Guard. Still plaster the Scottish flag on everything in games I can.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,253 posts
9,972 battles

My family are decendants of Scottish nobles. (we're also in-laws of the Wallace clan) we came to America as mercs to fight for America's independence!:cap_like: 

after it was over, we stuck around for fun!

Remember lads! all you need for a rebellion is 3 highlanders and a bagpipe!:cap_viking::fish_viking::etc_hide_turtle:

[NDA]
Supertester
4,848 posts
13,851 battles

The Family name journeyed from Scotland to the Jamestown area around the mid 1700s as an indentured servant. After working for seven years was freed to work for himself and start a family. But as to Scottish heritage, from what little records remain and can be accessed from this side of the Atlantic the man who carried the family name to the New World came from this area of Scotland. 

I want to see this in person some day. 

Edited by RedSeaBear
  • Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,463 posts
8,136 battles

There's no doubt on their being Scottish ancestry in my family, just where/when is lost. I know my paternal grandfather had Scottish origins, but well, dad doesn't talk about him, since he left when he was young. But my maternal grandmother was from Belfast (why I was hell bent on getting the ship before it was pulled), and somewhere long ago in a distance past, there was intermixing with the Scottish, part of why red hair runs strong in my family (that's right, I'm a soulless ginger :Smile-_tongue:), with my grandmother's name being McKnight. 

Then you have the other grandparents and their parents where, to my knowledge no Scottish blood, but dad's side Italian (I can't even try and spell the name, but it's one of those almost stereotypical ones with a ton of vowels that can't get more Italian), and on my mothers side you have Austria/Hungry (some debate because of my great grandfather and changing maps) and Alsace-Lorraine, or just Alsace. Two different stories because, as my great Grandparents put it at the time "We were whatever based on who was controlling it at the time (German or French)" which is why a lot of that part of my family, including my grandfather spoke German till WWII started except occasionally in the house, despite them ending up with the more French spelling of the name "Scholly" and I think "Schollie" was the German spelling (despite being the same family coming through Ellis Island some of them ended up with different spellings).

Which all makes things kinda weird for me because while born here in America, inside the house, there was a lot of Irish influence (Grandmother and Mother) and some German (Grandfather) as well as a lot of my childhood spent in Ireland considering. Which really was a hassle with school at times because a lot of words/phrases I've used are not used in America as well as in particular getting points off for spelling all the time because I use UK spellings on a lot of words. And because sometimes despite being born and raised here, I don't always understand certain things within the culture and all and certain mentalities.

• Cool 2

Members
4,569 posts
6,516 battles
2 hours ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

I was told when young that we had some Scottish ancestry from the North Westish end near the Orkney Island area (so that would probably mean some Viking types in there to) . The family name was Caithness (?) .

:cap_viking:

Yes.  That would be accurate.  Also the Scots from 8th to the 11th century fought the Norse.  Vikings. It gets VERY complicated.

• Cool 1

Members
4,569 posts
6,516 battles
38 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

There's no doubt on their being Scottish ancestry in my family, just where/when is lost. I know my paternal grandfather had Scottish origins, but well, dad doesn't talk about him, since he left when he was young. But my maternal grandmother was from Belfast (why I was hell bent on getting the ship before it was pulled), and somewhere long ago in a distance past, there was intermixing with the Scottish, part of why red hair runs strong in my family (that's right, I'm a soulless ginger :Smile-_tongue:), with my grandmother's name being McKnight. 

Then you have the other grandparents and their parents where, to my knowledge no Scottish blood, but dad's side Italian (I can't even try and spell the name, but it's one of those almost stereotypical ones with a ton of vowels that can't get more Italian), and on my mothers side you have Austria/Hungry (some debate because of my great grandfather and changing maps) and Alsace-Lorraine, or just Alsace. Two different stories because, as my great Grandparents put it at the time "We were whatever based on who was controlling it at the time (German or French)" which is why a lot of that part of my family, including my grandfather spoke German till WWII started except occasionally in the house, despite them ending up with the more French spelling of the name "Scholly" and I think "Schollie" was the German spelling (despite being the same family coming through Ellis Island some of them ended up with different spellings).

Which all makes things kinda weird for me because while born here in America, inside the house, there was a lot of Irish influence (Grandmother and Mother) and some German (Grandfather) as well as a lot of my childhood spent in Ireland considering. Which really was a hassle with school at times because a lot of words/phrases I've used are not used in America as well as in particular getting points off for spelling all the time because I use UK spellings on a lot of words. And because sometimes despite being born and raised here, I don't always understand certain things within the culture and all and certain mentalities.

Good stuff.  Interesting.  My Mothers's side is/was Irish. We all are a mix if ya go back far enough. Her mother was half French.  My grandma. 

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,328 posts
8,952 battles

It was hard to determine the ancestry of my 1st Sergeant in the Army because he looked like nobody I'd ever seen. I understood why when he got to talking his heritage once. Turned out that he was the end product of liaisons between US soldiers and native girls for generations back. You would be hard pressed to name a place that the US had fought a war in that wasn't a part of his heritage. He was continuing the tradition too as his wife was Vietnamese.

• Cool 1

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
3,981 posts
9,947 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Yes.  That would be accurate.  Also the Scots from 8th to the 11th century fought the Norse.  Vikings. It gets VERY complicated.

Complicated is an understatement !  Lol from what I have seen of the history of the islands ; Scots and Irish traded places something like two times . 

:cap_wander:

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,463 posts
8,136 battles
3 hours ago, dmckay said:

Good stuff.  Interesting.  My Mothers's side is/was Irish. We all are a mix if ya go back far enough. Her mother was half French.  My grandma. 

Aye we are, just happens mine is a more recent mix of somewhat more recent immigrants. What get's really fun though is just how while I don't always sound "right" coming from the general Philadelphia area, because of all the Irish and all, I still sound "American" - Except for times I slip, get angry, or am around other's from Ireland and all. Best reaction was working U2  this year where my Supervisor knew I was Irish, but I'd gone back to that sound and she looked at me like I had two heads because she never heard me speak with an accent. Always throws people and is great for a laugh for me. 

Europe in general though does tend to have a lot of mixes between borders changes and all that.

[SOUP]
7,578 posts

Gramp's family was from Edinburgh back before 1900, he visited some of his relatives while he was over there on a business trip

I have a full family tree book somewhere around here but i'll take me ages to find it, suffice to say I'm a big slice Scottish, with one half being German and the rest mixed between British and Irish. But, on my birth certificate it says Canada so I'll stick with that, cause if we keep going back a generation then another and so-forth I might as well say I'm from West Africa about 300,000 years ago

Members
4,569 posts
6,516 battles
23 hours ago, Razzopper said:

Grandmother did a lot of genealogy. Got us back to Robert the Bruce and the Black Guard. Still plaster the Scottish flag on everything in games I can.

That goes a long way back.  Cool.

1,542 posts
26 battles

Our family goes back many generations of Irish and Scottish folks. Gaelic through and through. I think it's very cool to find out where you come from and the journeys our families have taken over the years