You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

I challenge you: 1 person per day.

27 comments in this topic

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Okay, so here's the deal. 

This isn't an appeal to everyone- but those of you to whom this applies will know who they are. Anyone else please just disregard. 

Spoiler

Just to preamble a bit about the game where this happened- it was a good game. A real fist fight... eyeballs clawed out... nuts grabbed and donkeys punched. Fires everywhere, cap points ticking down. Enemy CV within about 5km of me and down to about 2000hp, my Cleveland (we were tier 6 high in this match) down to about 1000 hp, shooting everything I could- an enemy Mutsu  that I'd kited for awhile and hit about 200 times with HE from a distance down to about 1400hp within range but coming out from behind an island. Graf Spee on my side was down on health having been wrestling with a low health New Mex for awhile. They were floating around 950 points or so to our 7-800 I think? We kept knocking out ships and keeping them down to 9-950ish for minutes until we got to this point. Lots of time left...

ANYWAY- we've all had those games. We lose, you KNOW you did a lot. You pulled your weight and in spite of your mistakes had more influence on the battle because of your skill-- all the experience you've built up over 2 years of harvesting information from community contributors and the forum community. In the end, you're sort of sitting back patting yourself on the back knowing you're probably the only one who noticed.

Deep sigh- it's just a game. Back to port to look at some ships and go on to the next battle. 

But something is waiting for you in port. A message. Aw [edited]. I know what this is- Blame... noob... delete- uninstall. GKY... Here. We. Go. 

I'm sorry I didn't capture it in a screen- I wish I could go into a chat log (actually might not be a bad idea for a couple of reasons) to copy and paste it... but words to the effect: 

"Hey, you played really well... You played really well and just wanted to tell ya! Cheers." Red Mutsu. 

It was more detailed than that- but acknowledged a bunch of little points in the game where I did well and it was just a genuine pat on the back. It meant a lot to me- and I know it can mean a lot to others. 

That had such a profound impact on my gaming night that my new pledge is that every day I game- not every game, not even every 10 games- but at least every day I come in to battle I'm going to compliment someone with more than just "played well" or "noble adversary" or whatever it says. I'm going to reach out to someone who fought well and acknowledge their efforts since there is WAY more than just that battle that contributed to their actions.  

Do you have any examples of where someone reached into your gaming spirit and gave you a boost? Will you do the same? 

(Edited slightly for those who want me to "get to the point." )

Edited by ENO75
  • Cool 14

[FOXEH]
Members
3,363 posts
12,175 battles

I may not do it every day but when I encounter someone who made a difference, whether for red or green, I send em a congrats after the game. It does a body good to do so.

Actually, my last was earlier in the week. Our CV player was hell on wheels. The red CV was no slouch either. I actually watched more of their fireworks than my game. Thank goodness we won...

Edited by Khafni

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles

With how you wrote that post you give me the impression of an author. That was really nice to read, not just in the topic but how you laid it out. No, I can't explain why, so don't even ask. :Smile_teethhappy:

I can't even remember the last time I was messaged by somebody for my game performance, but it wasn't positive at first, I know that much. I basically rushed a Texas in my destroyer and they fired 8 rounds into me... all of which were overpens, and they really didn't like that, and even told me that the fact that I wasn't penned at least once and didn't even detonate was silly to. So I basically went on to tell them how I was running the Detonation signal at the time, and that they were unlucky to not penetrate me at least once... and we went on to have a laugh at WarGamings expense! :Smile_teethhappy: When we were finished, wished one another fair winds and luck to go with them.

Basically, not everyone is a raging butthead and sometimes it takes a good heart to help them find theirs. So thumbs up to that guy who went out of their way and messaged you because clearly they were impressed by your Cleveland dance of fire. :cap_like:

Edited by AllysaRockz
Apparently the non-swear A word for bum is not tolerated... oh well!
  • Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,459 posts
8,107 battles

Last couple days much as I can't buy a win in Lex no matter how good I do (couple matches over 100k damage, one was 168k, with HE bombs doing a little over half the damage counting resulting fires), some in game compliments and all because while I have been struggling a bit being forced to use 1 fighter to cover the whole bloody map and get every 2,x,x CV to face (I preferred the "lighter hitting" AS and ability to be in more than one place at a time), I've been doing pretty decent damage, even getting some kills. Even a guy raging about our team said "Well at least CV (me) tried as well". Which is always surprising because even when I get a clear sky and a ton of damage I'm used to having to hear :etc_swear: from the guy on his own I couldn't get planes to in time, or that I wasn't spotting enough, or insert complaint because the mentality is "CV - DO EVERYTHING", I'd have put it in 's "Ramirez" parody form, but didn't want to break up the text. That and some cases where I seem to be torping beyond max range (cause angles) and taking on some not always good odds or matchups and dong better than anticipated.

[SALVO]
Members
17,098 posts
17,769 battles
42 minutes ago, The_Dastardly_Canuck_rob said:

can I get a tl;dr? 

No kidding.

[SALVO]
Members
17,098 posts
17,769 battles
29 minutes ago, AllysaRockz said:

With how you wrote that post you give me the impression of an author. That was really nice to read, not just in the topic but how you laid it out. No, I can't explain why, so don't even ask. :Smile_teethhappy:

I can't even remember the last time I was messaged by somebody for my game performance, but it wasn't positive at first, I know that much. I basically rushed a Texas in my destroyer and they fired 8 rounds into me... all of which were overpens, and they really didn't like that, and even told me that the fact that I wasn't penned at least once and didn't even detonate was silly to. So I basically went on to tell them how I was running the Detonation signal at the time, and that they were unlucky to not penetrate me at least once... and we went on to have a laugh at WarGamings expense! :Smile_teethhappy: When we were finished, wished one another fair winds and luck to go with them.

Basically, not everyone is a raging butthead and sometimes it takes a good heart to help them find theirs. So thumbs up to that guy who went out of their way and messaged you because clearly they were impressed by your Cleveland dance of fire. :cap_like:

Meaning no insult to the OP, but honestly, I found the initial post annoying to read.  And I can tell you why.

When someone makes a statement in the thread title, I want them to get to the point just about immediately.  I don't want to have to read a wall of text and have to go "In Search Of" the point, however nicely written the wall of text may be.  This isn't a joke where you end with the punch line.  I want to see the point gotten to just about immediately, even if the writer wants to go on to add context after making said point.

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

When someone makes a statement in the thread title, I want them to get to the point just about immediately.  I don't want to have to read a wall of text and have to go "In Search Of" the point, however nicely written the wall of text may be.  This isn't a joke where you end with the punch line.  I want to see the point gotten to just about immediately, even if the writer wants to go on to add context after making said point.

Grumble Grumble Grumble... :Smile_sceptic: I'm currently reading a story by a writer that seems to think that THIS is appropriate for their story... :Smile_great:

wN7NlFc.png

...so maybe I'm just feeling lenient in what I read. I'll stick with what I said initially though. I really liked what the OP wrote and how they laid it out! Because all things considered... it's better than whatever this is for darn sure. Yeah you wanted to get to the point, but will it kill you to just skim through? No one is forcing you to read the whole thing. I get it with verbal conversation, you want somebody to get to the point... but with reading? You can just skip through until you find it, so... :Smile-_tongue:

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,461 posts
11,780 battles

What a great idea.

I'm a 48% potato, but I think I've only received 1 pm with a pat on the back.

A few are from players with worst stats than me that did less in match complaining, or Unicom telling me to uninstall, etc....

Such a refreshing idea, thanks...

And it doesn't hurt at all ...

[-AGW-]
Members
668 posts
9,523 battles

It is a good thing. I try to congratulate anyone who deserves it. We are after all in this together.

[WOLF2]
Members
893 posts
7,274 battles

I usually do so during the match, in chat.   I usually don't remember the player's name, or the player has such a long name, the game truncates the name.

Had a match tonight on Trident/Epicenter, where a Graf Spee kept harassing me all game.   Dude would stay at 11-12km and had an uncanny sense of when I was about to fire.   He danced that boat around, slowed, dared me with broadside.   Frakkin' shells spilling all around.

We finally got him, but I gave him a kudos in chat for driving well and taking my focus off his other teammates.   If it's a big scrap, I'll do the same - thank the reds for a good fight, win or lose.

[4HIM]
Members
1,813 posts
4,129 battles

Did play a battle last night where the two friendly CV's did really good.  First enemy carriers attacked with a wave of DB's and TB's.  Friendly CV's pounced them and totally eliminated the DB's before they could make one drop.  Only one TB made a (wild) drop and the Texas took out the last one as it turned tail for home.  Enemy CV's were out of planes in no time.  I got greedy and tried to sink one of the CV's and got taken out.  So I watched as the friendly CV's laid waste to the enemy.  I complimented them both in chat, and gave them compliments after the game. 

[O_O]
Members
4,425 posts
9,588 battles

It's a noble goal, Eno75.  I may try to do just that.

I had a game where I had been sunk, but stuck around to share my infinite wisdom with those still playing.  Everyone absolutely loves when I do that.  Our remaining player was being a bit of a derp, and appeared to be trying his hardest to lose the game for us.  It was his battleship vs a very low health cruiser and a destroyer.  Our guy was at the edge of our base cap, blasting away at the distant cruiser, while the red DD was sitting in our cap in smoke.  He sailed straight and was just begging to be torped.  I made a few comments of...uh...encouragement?  What can I say, I was getting frustrated.  He never responded in chat.  Granted, he was busy, or I am sure he would have admitted his mistakes and inquired for more of my advice.  Well, I'll be darned if he didn't finally kill that cruiser, then turn toward the destroyer and drive in.  He pulled off a torpedo beat with the turn.  He pushed in until he got close enough to detect the DD in smoke, fired both of his front turrets and obliterated the DD.  We won.

Well.  Now don't I feel like a bit of a heel.  My criticism had merits, but I had also just blamed him in chat for losing the game (pitiful, I know...I really don't do it often), and then he turned around and pitched a nice save.  I had to send him a message in port, fall on my sword, and apologize and congratulate him for saving the game.  He was very stoic about the whole thing, admitted it was a close game and thanked me for apologizing.  Hopefully I removed any salt I had spread and left him with warm fuzzies.  It did make me feel better about the whole thing.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
7 hours ago, Crucis said:

Meaning no insult to the OP, but honestly, I found the initial post annoying to read. 

Sorry to hear that. But there is a solution:

I went back and added a spoiler. All the content- half the reading. 

7 hours ago, AllysaRockz said:

...so maybe I'm just feeling lenient in what I read. I'll stick with what I said initially though. I really liked what the OP wrote and how they laid it out! Because all things considered... it's better than whatever this is for darn sure. Yeah you wanted to get to the point, but will it kill you to just skim through? No one is forcing you to read the whole thing. I get it with verbal conversation, you want somebody to get to the point... but with reading? You can just skip through until you find it, so... :Smile-_tongue:

Appreciated the feedback- fortunately I was able to meet both sides in the middle and maybe even found a way to please everyone!

1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

Well.  Now don't I feel like a bit of a heel.  My criticism had merits, but I had also just blamed him in chat for losing the game (pitiful, I know...I really don't do it often), and then he turned around and pitched a nice save.  I had to send him a message in port, fall on my sword, and apologize and congratulate him for saving the game.  He was very stoic about the whole thing, admitted it was a close game and thanked me for apologizing.  Hopefully I removed any salt I had spread and left him with warm fuzzies.  It did make me feel better about the whole thing.

Oh man! I can think of a couple times I've been a little heavy on the salt then watched things play out. "Okay... sorry- I take it back. Nice work," or words to that effect.

Edited by ENO75

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,288 battles

I sank something in a cap last night in my Leander and promptly had someone on my team tell me "Much obliged" as a directed message in chat (how do you do that, by the way?). Also had them request supporting fire for me shortly after. Sadly it was wasted because I had my rudder shot out and my captain not fully retrained yet, and the end followed shortly thereafter, but it was nice of them to be thinking of me.

I haven't got the hang of all the little tricks in chat yet, but whenever I have the time (e.g. a lull in battle, after my death but before game's end) I will try to thank people who assisted me with kills or got my backside out of trouble. How to do so afterwards, I do not know.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I haven't got the hang of all the little tricks in chat yet, but whenever I have the time (e.g. a lull in battle, after my death but before game's end) I will try to thank people who assisted me with kills or got my backside out of trouble. How to do so afterwards, I do not know.

If you're talking about not knowing how to chat with someone after the battle- it's pretty easy if you know the steps. I'll do my best here: 

1) Either take a screenshot of the after action report where the team list is shown. You may need to hover your mouse over longer names so you see it all. Take a screenshot hitting the prtscn (printscreen) button. Access your screenshots in C:/ Games / Warships (or NA_Warships I think) / Screenshots. 

2) When you're in port, go to the little orange bubble with white ... and open that. At the bottom of that opened window will be a little magnifying glass.

3) Click on the magnifying glass and it will open a bar where you can type in the name of the person you're looking for. From what I can recall, it helps to be CAP specific...

4) As you're typing in the name, potential players who match what you're typing will start popping up. You can select the person at any point if you see their name come up. Next to their name will be a few icons- one of them will be a "chat" icon- can't recall if it's a ... or a chat bubble. Click on that. 

5) A message window will open allowing you to send that person a message. There will be a little circle next to their name- White if they are online, hollow if they're offline or there will be crossed swords indicating they jumped into the next battle.

6) If you don't hear back from them right away, don't be discouraged. They may have gone into battle or exited the game before being able to see your message. In some cases you could send them a message while they're in battle- if they exit directly to Windows while in battle I "THINK" it might erase your message. If you send them a message when the person is offline, they will receive it when they next log in. 

Give it time. Not everyone will get back to you since for some people it's just rainbows and butterflies- but I think more often than not if you send a message acknowledging someone's conspicuously good play or teamwork they'll notice. I have almost 5000 battles and I can say with no equivocation that if someone does it to me, they'll be hearing back from me. 

Hope this helps. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,288 battles

Thanks for the post-battle communication hints. However, I'm talking as much about not knowing how to focus-chat to somebody IN battle. I know to focus fire you lock on enemies and then hit F3 to tell your teammates to kill them, but I am not sure about using hotkeys to communicate with allies or call for support to them.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
13 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Thanks for the post-battle communication hints. However, I'm talking as much about not knowing how to focus-chat to somebody IN battle. I know to focus fire you lock on enemies and then hit F3 to tell your teammates to kill them, but I am not sure about using hotkeys to communicate with allies or call for support to them.

Ah! You can't focus a person in chat... the guy I was talking about reached out to me after the battle. He just navigated to port faster than I did that's how the message was waiting for me. 

If you are in battle and want to focus it to your division, or to ALL... just hit enter to get into the chat window, then hit tab to switch to global and then tab again to switch to division chat, and tab yet again to go back to team only. It cycles in that order. 

Edited by ENO75

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Hit up @Akeno017 This past game.  We had a "questionable" team, but I took a few thumps in the GK and he went on absolute tear in his Yammy.  He played it well and I gave him a shout after the game.  Turns out he is a forumite, but I did quite recall his name.  He knew me.  He get's his shout out here now as well as my thanks to him after the game. 

• Cool 1