Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Crucis

Is the Grozovoi worth it?

24 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
17,056 posts
17,716 battles

This is a pretty simple question.

Is the Grozovoi worth the cost?  It is fairly fun to play?  I won't ask if it's better or more fun to play than the Khaba, because it's hard to imagine that that could be true (though if someone does think so, feel free to say so and tell me why).

I'm nearly done grinding the Udaloi, for the second time.  And while I can EASILY afford the Groz (I have nearly 114M credits at the time of writing this post), I just don't know if it's worth spending the 23M credits, not counting any upgrade modules I might have to buy.

And as an FYI, I already have the Khaba, the Gearing, and the Shimmy for tier 10 DDs.

• Boring 2

[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,602 battles

I haven't played mine much but it a good Destroyer it fits more in line with the other tier 10 destroyers types

[WOLFB]
Members
1,725 posts
8,254 battles

I quickly tried this ship when it was a rental for CW but from what I remember the ship just do well as a DD. There is really nothing special about this ship, except AA. If you're playing with a CV you'll have an easy time capping and helping your CV dealing with plane but other than that, it's just a regular DD with a slightly worst concealment.

Shell velocity is good, allowing you to land shell properly on long-mid range target but you're not as fast as a Khaba, you don't have that 50mm plate armor and you're quite big for a DD so at close range you'll struggle . And since you're big, AP DD will pen you easily. Torps are ok I guess, I don't really remember.

IMO if you have nothing left to grind you could spend your money and get her, otherwise I would not recommend getting this ship. I don't find her particulary fun as a DD .

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[SALVO]
Members
17,056 posts
17,716 battles
15 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I quickly tried this ship when it was a rental for CW but from what I remember the ship just do well as a DD. There is really nothing special about this ship, except AA. If you're playing with a CV you'll have an easy time capping and helping your CV dealing with plane but other than that, it's just a regular DD with a slightly worst concealment.

Shell velocity is good, allowing you to land shell properly on long-mid range target but you're not as fast as a Khaba, you don't have that 50mm plate armor and you're quite big for a DD so at close range you'll struggle . And since you're big, AP DD will pen you easily. Torps are ok I guess, I don't really remember.

IMO if you have nothing left to grind you could spend your money and get her, otherwise I would not recommend getting this ship. I don't find her particulary fun as a DD .

Oh, I've got other stuff I can grind, just at lower tiers.  I'm currently part way through The Queen Lizzy RN T6 BB, the La Gal French T6 CA, the Maas Tier 7 German DD, and the Fiji T7 RN CL.  I'm not particularly excited by the RN CL line, mostly because I'm not a huge fan of the entire RN CL meta.  Probably most interested in the RN BB line, though the German DD line's not bad either.

I watched some Flamu videos on the Groz, and it seems a bit like a Gearing/Khaba cross. It doesn't have the speed or armor to play like a true Khab, nor does it have the great torps or the raw DPM of a Gearing.  It does seem to be built to be more of a smoke shooter than a Khab, since that may be it's best way to defend itself while generating gun damage.

Thanks for the reply.

[INTEL]
Members
8,582 posts
25,696 battles

No, i played mine a bit then got rid of it. It kills DDs well, but getting damage in it is work. Not as fun as Khab, no wheeee factor at all, in fact. It needs another two kms of range and thirty seconds whacked off its torp reload to compete. Cant really cap well in it. Definitely a sidegrade from Udaloi. 

• Cool 1

[5IN]
Members
1,791 posts
8,133 battles
21 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

No, i played mine a bit then got rid of it. It kills DDs well, but getting damage in it is work. Not as fun as Khab, no wheeee factor at all, in fact. It needs another two kms of range and thirty seconds whacked off its torp reload to compete. Cant really cap well in it. Definitely a sidegrade from Udaloi. 

Agreed wih these points, except the bold.  Its better than Udaloi, but only slightly.  It has 2k better concealment at 6k (with CE) so you can stealth torp.  Guns hit harder and AA is better.  

Like I said, better than Udaloi, but not much.  

Its not like Fletcher to Gearing, which is a lateral (or downgrade as some would say).   A major benefit that Udaloi enjoys is that its T9, so you will sometimes get favorable MM and be top tier..  

OP - Try it out, especially if you arent hurting for credits.  You may enjoy it.

B

[HATE]
Members
783 posts
28,004 battles

Grozovoi is difficult. I'd say it's skill floor is top among T10 DD (have them all, playing them all at decent level). It is fun to do burst AP damage at 8-12 km at broadside targets - huge damage potential. Also if paired up with sneaky/sonar DD it can murder red DD's with ease (thanks to fantastic gun's accuracy and muzzle velocity). If paired with decent CV players it also gives you good edge (especially if you pair up with T9 CV). But again - it's difficult.

If you're looking for challenge - Grozovoi is definitely up your alley. Otherwise don't bother - experience with it can be very brutal

Edited by SlartiBartFastE2

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
16,051 battles

Worth it.

Unlike Khabar, her concealment and torp range are good and you can choose to play as a torp. So she's a hybrid torp-gun boat.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
514 posts
4,670 battles

It's a Russian take on a hybrid style DD.  Has torpedoes and concealment much better than the Khab, but still has lots of the Russian quirks like garbage turn radius and being in general a huge ship for its class so she eats damage like crazy and cap contesting solo can be very rough.  That said, the guns are awesome, better than the Khab in my opinion, though she lacks the speed, range, and armor of the Khab so you can't just W+mouse1 it (I even took AFT to get a little more utility out of them).  Her torpedoes are stealth fire-able and are generally pretty good though have that same long [edited]reload as the Gearing  unless you double down on modules and captain skills.  Sadly I can't comment on her AA since I haven't played her since this last patch and CVs were all but extinct at high tiers when I did run her.  All-in-all if you want something a little less 1-dimensional then the Khab's style it's pretty fun, it does require a more Gearing style of play but remember she's still a Russian DD at heart as well.  If you division with someone else who plays a DD like a USN or KM she can back them up and absolutely demolish enemy destroyers at caps while still being usefulness once it become torpedo time.

[SALVO]
Members
17,056 posts
17,716 battles

Just a follow up.  I decided to pick up the Groz and am enjoying it.  Still grinding out the 10 km torps, because I don't want to waste the free XP.  I do wish that the torps had either a) higher damage or b) a faster reload, because it rather stinks to have lowish (for tier 10) damage AND slow reloading torps.  If either one was improved, it'd be a real help to the Groz.  Otherwise, it stinks to have largely the worst of both low damage and slow reload on somewhat meh torps.

1,542 posts
26 battles

She takes a little bit of work but I think she's work it. The reward is in conquering her! 

Members
34 posts
1,694 battles

Here in the last 2 weeks I have seen a TON of Grozovoi's out there.  Did something change with them?  They are gaining in popularity!  I am even considering giving it a try over my Gearing- those firing arcs are sexy!

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,598 battles

She is a bit too fat and too clumsy.

Other than that she has pretty good raw stats and one of the best DD AA.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
25,031 battles
On 1/29/2018 at 11:28 AM, Reckun said:

Here in the last 2 weeks I have seen a TON of Grozovoi's out there.  Did something change with them?  They are gaining in popularity!  I am even considering giving it a try over my Gearing- those firing arcs are sexy!

More CVs => more Grozovois. If I jump in queue and see CVs, I might swap whatever to Grozovoi. I shot down 39 planes in my third battle. (Do the same with Kidd at T8)

Groz can cap. Better yet, he can contest caps very effectively. Even Gearings and Khabs need to respect those guns. However, it’s better to play as a very close support ship for a stealthier DD. The railguns can wreck cruisers and rack up good damage on broadside BBs, especially if German. Offensive smoke is a staple of Grozovoi game play. 

Groz actually has the highest average XP of my Tier 10 DDs and I have all of them. Damage is just so so, but average kills per game are 1.1 and matched only by Khab. Only the Z-52 has a better win rate but the sample sizes are small. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper

Members
2 posts
1,822 battles

Im going to start working down this path, seems to have a bit more stealth, I am making the branch off now after the Khar, so should be interesting.

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,374 posts
8,530 battles

Is the Groz worth it ?   Depends on 2 things.

#1 Do you plan on grouping with CV's ?

#2 Do you want all T10 DD's unlocked ?

That's pretty much it.  There is no other reason to get it besides those two.

• Cool 1

[POET]
Members
304 posts
1,890 battles
On 2/8/2018 at 12:48 AM, Spyde said:

Is the Groz worth it ?   Depends on 2 things.

#1 Do you plan on grouping with CV's ?

#2 Do you want all T10 DD's unlocked ?

That's pretty much it.  There is no other reason to get it besides those two.

WG where is Smelyi?

[JMMAF]
Members
5 posts
1,089 battles

In my opinion, Gorzvoi is like an Russian attempt to built a multi-role destroyer. The Grozvoi is much like a Gearing.

Gearing                                                           Grozvoi

Rainbow Guns                                                Flat Laser Guns

Rapid firing guns                                           Just as rapid firing guns

Good Concealment                                       LOL. Never heard of concealment

Good Torpedoes                                           Usable, not that good though

Okay speed                                                     Fast of Fvck Boi!

Great Agility                                                   Not that bad. At least you can turn.

Overall, the Grozvoi is just the Gearing with no better guns, faster speed in exchange for decreased agility and no concealment.

The Ognevoi line gives Soviet destroyer captains a chance to feel a multi-role destroyer like the USN destroyers.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,702 battles
17 hours ago, UraniumPotato said:

In my opinion, Gorzvoi is like an Russian attempt to built a multi-role destroyer. The Grozvoi is much like a Gearing.

Gearing                                                           Grozvoi

Rainbow Guns                                                Flat Laser Guns

Rapid firing guns                                           Just as rapid firing guns

Good Concealment                                       LOL. Never heard of concealment

Good Torpedoes                                           Usable, not that good though

Okay speed                                                     Fast of Fvck Boi!

Great Agility                                                   Not that bad. At least you can turn.

Overall, the Grozvoi is just the Gearing with no better guns, faster speed in exchange for decreased agility and no concealment.

The Ognevoi line gives Soviet destroyer captains a chance to feel a multi-role destroyer like the USN destroyers.

Do you actually look up and read ship statistics? Minimum detection for Gearing is 5.9 km vs Grozovoi is 6.0 km. Grozovoi has the Russian laser arcs and very effective at hitting ships at all ranges, unlike Gearing which has an effective gun range of 7 km. The Grozovoi also has 10 km torps, while obviously not the best compared to its peers, is still more than capable of being a stealth torpedo boat.

Members
32 posts
5,799 battles

Just finished the grind for the Grozovoi, what a P.o.S. in my opinion. I would rather play the Ognevoi,Udaloi, kiev, Tashkent & Khab over this anchor. Never played the ship prior to the nerf bat but I wouldn't waste any resources for it.

• Cool 1

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,702 battles
9 minutes ago, SM3_Trammel said:

Just finished the grind for the Grozovoi, what a P.o.S. in my opinion. I would rather play the Ognevoi,Udaloi, kiev, Tashkent & Khab over this anchor. Never played the ship prior to the nerf bat but I wouldn't waste any resources for it.

Is your captain an AA build captain? Or what is the current captain build you are using?

Edited by Lightninger

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

I'm curious about this ship also. I'm really not that interested in playing Khab as I like my DDs to do DD things like cap and spot. I also have three RU DD premiums (one I purchased, the other two from Santa) which are all designed as stealth DDs rather than pure gunboat DDs.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

Wait, I'm confused ... how come the Groz shells have an 1800 HE alpha when *every single other RU DD with the 130mm guns* gets 1900?

Sign in to follow this