You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Umikami

Yugumo Captain Skill

9 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,803 posts
15,265 battles

Asking for some input here, building my Yugumo Captain, currently have Preventitive Maintenance, EM, Last Stand, AFT, BFT, and CE; I am wondering whether to get Superintendent for my last skill, or Torp Reload, at level 3. Yugumo has a reload of 114 seconds, reload brings that down to 102 or 103, which is still a long time. At the same time the only consumables she uses are smoke and speed boost.

Opinions, please!

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,247 posts
3,106 battles

Torpedo reload. Superintendent isn't that important for a torpedo based destroyer like the Yugumo, since her stealth normally affords her enough wiggle room to go without the extra smoke. You get more out of the quicker torpedo reloads. 

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I've seen a lot of captains using torpedo reload booster, and quite effectively. Considering that replaces smoke I'd have to say that you'll get a much more tangible benefit from TAE than Superintendent.

Ninja'd.

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles

Do the math?

• base: 114s
  • TTM3: 96.9s
  • TAE: 102.6s
  • TTM3+TAE: 87.21s

1200s match

• base: 10 salvos, 60s spare
  • TTM3: 12 salvos, 37.2s spare
  • TAE: 11 salvos, 71.4s spare
  • TTM3+TAE: 13 salvos, 66.27s spare

TRB = 8s reload, 240s CD
3x TRB = 24s+
4x TRB = 32s+

Since the total time for 4xTRB is 32s+, you might not be able to squeeze that into 37.2s, but you should be able to with the other three configurations

But, if you don't want to use TRB, then 10 salvos turning into 11 salvos isn't a huge difference anyways. This is why it is mostly pointless taking TAE on higher tier DDs, unless you also take TTM3

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,455 posts
11,772 battles

Pt,ls,ar,tae,se,ce&rpf....

Object is not to use guns, stay concealed and launch torps.

If you need your guns your in trouble.

I run torpedo reload booster as well.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

Concealment is a MUST have.  Also I would recommend the Concealment Module upgrade as well.  Yes its expensive but worth the price of being detected.

Members
646 posts
7,043 battles
4 hours ago, Umikami said:

Asking for some input here, building my Yugumo Captain, currently have Preventitive Maintenance, EM, Last Stand, AFT, BFT, and CE; I am wondering whether to get Superintendent for my last skill, or Torp Reload, at level 3. Yugumo has a reload of 114 seconds, reload brings that down to 102 or 103, which is still a long time. At the same time the only consumables she uses are smoke and speed boost.

Opinions, please!

IMHO I think that RPF and CE is a must for the Yugumo. Great ship as far as I'm concerned, but she's slooooooooooow, unlike some of the other IJN boats which can beat feet out of Dodge City. 

Uses the soundtrack "War Drums" with RPF. That way you will know which way the nearest contact is and when you hear the drums, You'll know that you will see the contact in about 2 to 3 second.

It's a small thing, but I always have my guns and torpedoes point the right way.

[V_KNG]
Members
560 posts
8,732 battles
On 12/15/2017 at 10:37 AM, Umikami said:

Opinions, please!

Depends on how you want to play her. Yugumo has so many working builds there is no "Must Have" 

[HEROS]
Members
1,430 posts
12,045 battles

Tier 7 to 9 IJN main line DD..

I always recommend TRB instead of smoke these days.  And recommend developing a strongly disiplined used of torpedo's.  Keep the torps flowing, keep them reacting to them and keep shifting position.    Between aircraft, hydro, and radar being able to use smoke effectively is getting to be a rare thing especially for IJN DD's which have the worst DD smoke in the game.. it doesn't generate as long, and it dissapates soonest.  Not useless, but not nearly as useful.  Your best defense against getting shot at is not getting seen to be shot at.  ANd Concealment expert, though for some ship, Akizuki specifically which can ren AFT and get its gun range out to around 15k, thats 4 commander skill points that might just be useable elsewhere.  AKi is also the slowest DD in the upper tiers (33 Knts!)so running away is not something it does real well.   All ways in the IJN line you need to do a very pragmatic build.   All ways aiming to get the most utility out of upgrades and commander skills.  

If your map and movement and ship knowledge is good I would recommend running RPF.  It's surprising useful when you working on not getting spotted or spotting before the other guys does especially if your running a full concealment build.   AFT and BFT are useful for the Akizuki in the second line along with the premium HSF Harekaze, and both ships really need to run IFHE though you can do with out them  but you better be totally on the ball on when to switch ammo types..though frankly at any sort of range your going to need the IFHE because it will penetrate at ranges your AP will not.  Superintendent, Adrenalin Rush, and last stand are all very useful DD skills.  

A couple notes on no smoke with TRB.  There are those that say its a very "selfish" play style.  Well that depends, a selfish player can certainly be even more selfish going lone wolf, but you get your best result up front and close, but you do need other ships to provide some gunfire support.  If you've good no friendles near you asess the gain/risk and make your best call..  a running retreat in a torp heavy DD thats sits just out of spotting range and keep chucking torps can really slow and distract a large group of ships, but that only works as long as you've sea room to pull it off.   All ways keep an awareness of whats around you where, which is one of the reasons I swear by RPF..  Very useful skill when tied together with player knowledge and experience.