You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sasha_Foxxx

1st tier 5

35 comments in this topic

Members
38 posts
148 battles

Okay, after some interruptions to play time (not that one) I'm back on track for my 1st tier 5 cruiser. I'm close to both the Konigsburg or the Omaha. Any suggestions? I'm no fan of the Phoenix and that makes me weary of the Omaha. On the other hand, Karlsruhe was pretty fun. Only the short gun range was something to complain about.

I'm just wondering what the experienced ship handlers think.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,246 posts
12,791 battles

Omaha is like a bigger, improved Phoenix. If you didn't like the Phoenix, chances are the Omaha isn't going to do you any favors. However, it leads to the excellent Cleveland, and if you can get a Cleveland before the USN cruiser tech tree split next year where Cleveland is moved up to tier 8, you're going to get a free tier 8 out of it.

Koenigsberg is a fun cruiser and considered a highlight in the german cruiser line.

Both are very soft, like Phoenix.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,847 posts
13,843 battles

Things you need to be good at to be good with the Omaha; Map Awareness, know where good cover is and how to use it, who has shots at your broadside and finally how to dodge and weave incoming fire. Good luck out there. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,419 battles
8 minutes ago, Sasha_Foxxx said:

Okay, after some interruptions to play time (not that one) I'm back on track for my 1st tier 5 cruiser. I'm close to both the Konigsburg or the Omaha. Any suggestions? I'm no fan of the Phoenix and that makes me weary of the Omaha. On the other hand, Karlsruhe was pretty fun. Only the short gun range was something to complain about.

I'm just wondering what the experienced ship handlers think.

This is how I feel about the Omaha. Maybe it's just me.

th?id=OIP.U1Al5D4ZOdnq_JbteqypOgFBDC&pid

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,752 battles

Congratulations on your progress, achieved through hard effort! Both Omaha and Konigsberg are very capable ships, being a major upgrade from their previous tier IV counterparts in terms of firepower. 

Omaha has a significantly improved artillery suite compared to the Phenoix, so if it is the lackluster firepower that you hate on the Phenoix, and you loved her agility and speed, Omaha is gonna be a very good fit for you. Her armor is thin and her citadel is exposed, so you must be very aware of the enemy battleships' intentions more than ever since now you are going to face many tier 6 and 7 battleships, and an accurate salvo can easily give your adventure an abrupt and disappointing end.

Konigsberg is the most fearsome cruiser at tier V in terms of firepower. If you have no problem hitting your enemies in the Karlsruhe at her range, and wish for even more reach, Konigsberg's artillery won't disappoint you. The arcs are much improved, and the 360-degree traverse of the rear turrets makes her very comfortable. However, Konigsberg's armor is very poor, even thinner than the Karlsruhe. Combined with a low hit point pool, getting shot at is something you have to be wary of. Despite having improved speed, Konigsberg is still rather slow and sluggish compared to other tier V cruisers, a national trait of all German cruisers.

• Cool 1

Members
710 posts
4,602 battles

I agree with Lerts statement about the phoenix to the omaha. The cleveland is worth the effort though simply for itself and when the tech tree split occurs TM "Soon" the bonus tier 8 will be nice. I am biased to the konigsberg over the omaha personally, just had more enjoyment with it and the konig is a good shoot and scoot ship.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Omaha is a difficult ship, but can be very rewarding. She is fast, maneuverable, has great range and firepower, and has torpedoes. She is able to hunt down DDs, harass BBs at range and dodge incoming fire, and can torpedo up close for those ambush situations.

Königsberg is a great cruiser at T5. Long range quick firing rifles, good maneuverability, torpedoes, and good hydro. She has powerful AP, and her rear turrets rotate 360° allowing quick changes from left to right firing.

[HELLS]
Members
1,703 posts
15,580 battles

Königsberg is one of my best ships, and she still sees a lot of play. However, going up the USN line through Omaha (which I hated!) gets you to Cleveland, the jewel at T6. I got her early on and have only a 50% win rate in her, losing a lot early on, but that changed as I got more experience. The only other T6 ship that matches Cleveland is Leander (my numbers in her match Königsberg), in the RN CL line, which requires a complety different playstyle with the smoke, hydro, torpedoes and heal. Go for Omaha to get to Cleveland before the USN line split.

[TF16]
Members
826 posts
5,122 battles

Between the 2 of them, I would recommend going for the Konigsberg.  It's a solid ship that is a much greater improvement from T4 than the Omaha and the Phoenix.  

And congrats by the way on reaching the next tier!

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles

Omaha was my first tier V and punished me enough that I transitioned to playing BB's for quite a while after that.  I got a Marblehead (Omaha clone) out of a Santa crate last year and actually enjoy it now, but my situational awareness (of what is going on the on map around me - keeping track of multiple enemy ships) is 10x better now.  They have at least one gun that is pretty much always on target as you turn, which is nice - since you need to turn and vary your speed a lot and use terrain and teammates if you want to live for very long.

In general, I think I had more fun in the German cruiser line in the early tiers just because I had more games under my belt.  It also leads to really fun higher tier ships like the Roon and Hindenberg (there was not an absolute stinker in the entire line from my perspective).

My advice would be to not necessarily just push up a cruiser line to the higher tiers.  You could keep working on them, but also pick a BB line to start as well (the Germans are probably the most beginner friendly).  The game develops a lot slower in BB's and lets you do things like check your mini-map between shots and start to think ahead about how you need to plan out your next couple turns.  Just a thought...

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles
17 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Königsberg is one of my best ships, and she still sees a lot of play. However, going up the USN line through Omaha (which I hated!) gets you to Cleveland, the jewel at T6. I got her early on and have only a 50% win rate in her, losing a lot early on, but that changed as I got more experience. The only other T6 ship that matches Cleveland is Leander (my numbers in her match Königsberg), in the RN CL line, which requires a complety different playstyle with the smoke, hydro, torpedoes and heal. Go for Omaha to get to Cleveland before the USN line split.

Completely true about the Cleveland, but the high arc of the shells can be hard to get used to when you are just starting out.  Now I know to add about 1 more bar on the dynamic sight to hit the range properly, but it took a while for to get comfortable when I was new.  Won't matter so much when the split happens and Cleveland moves back to tier 8, though.

[LHG]
Members
1,657 posts
4,931 battles

This I think has been said before in this thread, the Omaha is essentially a Phoenix with a slight increase in protection and four additional 6 inch guns.  Of the two, the Phoenix is the easiest to play because she's never going to be uptiered past T5 while the Omaha will see up to T7 ships on her horizon.

If your play style doesn't match up with how the Phoenix operates, and you have to choose between the two, then the Koingsberg is for you.  She has something of an odd gun arrangement with two triple turrets to the rear of the ship and one facing forward.  The good news is that the rear turrets have pretty decent forward firing arc so you don't have to go full broadside to use them on a target in the forward quadrants of your ship and they are excellent when turning your heels and running away allowing you to batter pursuers with 2/3rds of your firepower while you flee.  Her torpedo tubes are also not an afterthought as they are of the Phoenix/Omaha.  You have enough of them with enough range that you can do some serious damage to the red ships with them if the opportunity arises. 

I'm not going to say that Koingsberg is hands down a better ship, the Omaha definitely has her high points as well, but if the Phoenix isn't getting the job done for you and your only other choice is the Koingsberg, then the Koingsberg is probably the better bet for you. 

All that being said, I think the Kirov is the best cruiser at T5 so you might eventually want to check out the Russian line. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel

Members
38 posts
148 battles
13 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

My advice would be to not necessarily just push up a cruiser line to the higher tiers.  You could keep working on them, but also pick a BB line to start as well (the Germans are probably the most beginner friendly).  The game develops a lot slower in BB's and lets you do things like check your mini-map between shots and start to think ahead about how you need to plan out your next couple turns.  Just a thought...

I do love the Nassau. A very fun ship!

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,419 battles
58 minutes ago, Mexicanarmada15 said:

The cleveland is worth the effort

And they are tasty. I like it when a tier 6 cruiser without torps attacks me by himself. Had one do that the other night do that. On a serious note though, I play BBs mainly but do like the Cleveland because of it's rapid gun reload. Like the Graf Spee also.

th?id=OIP.31w9sWNjS4YWbVb5Dx-_vgEgDY&pid

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,419 battles
1 minute ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

And they are tasty. I like it when a tier 6 cruiser without torps attacks me by himself. Had one do that the other night do that. On a serious note though, I play BBs mainly but do like the Cleveland because of it's rapid gun reload. Like the Graf Spee also.

th?id=OIP.31w9sWNjS4YWbVb5Dx-_vgEgDY&pid

I don't play them a lot in random but do on the Public Test to try and get better in them. A bad cruiser driver really stands out in Random. Situations are amped up a little in one.

[O_O]
Members
4,427 posts
9,595 battles

Omaha was one of my favorite ships as I progressed through Tier 5.  But, that was when there were only two cruiser lines and before the protected Tier 4 matchmaking hosed over Tier 5 hard.  I still have Marblehead, which is an Omaha clone, but it can be challenging to play when facing Tier 7's.

Konigsberg is also a very good...if not excellent...T5 cruiser.  Her AP is just lethal, especially at close to intermediate range on broadside targets.  I still have her in my port, and enjoy taking her out when there is a mission to get citadel hits.  She gets them easily on other T4-6 cruisers.

Aesthetically, I love them both.  Omaha has slick twin gun turrets as well as case mate guns.  Konigsberg has those wonky, offset aft gun turrets.  Both are cool to look at.

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles
2 minutes ago, Sasha_Foxxx said:

I do love the Nassau. A very fun ship!

The German BB line are good all-arounders with respect to the combination of guns and armor.  I like to pick a cap to support in my BB's and then weave in and out of the edge of it (not staying at sniper range and not sitting still and bow tanking) until I can find a seam to push into.  If you avoid just trying to rush straight into caps and bow tank out backwards in BB's, some of the same turns and choices of when to push and when to fall back can apply to your cruiser play, too.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
730 posts
11,955 battles

If you will be at Tier 5 for a while, I recommend the Konigsberg. It remains a favorite of mine. Omaha can also be fun, but I much prefer the Konigsberg at that tier.

If you intend to continue grinding your way up one line or the other, I suggest the U.S. line as the Nurnberg and Yorck are not ships I much enjoyed. Though I have heard from many that the Hindenburg is well worth the long grind, the Des Moines is also much loved by many players.

Yes, if you get the Cleveland you might benefit when the U.S. cruiser line splits. But that would just put you into a tier you will likely be ill-equipped to handle at this point.

My suggestion is actually to pick up both the Tier 5 cruisers you mention and, over time, the rest of the Tier 5 cruisers as well. I believe this will give you firsthand knowledge of what cruiser line would most likely be worth the investment of time and energy required to get to Tier 10 while still enjoying the game play.

Here are a few videos that highlight some of what may lie ahead in your future:

- Konigsberg

- Omaha

- Kirov

- Furutaka

- Emerald (Could not quickly find a video)

- Emile Bertin (Could not quickly find a video)

Whatever you decide, I hope you have fun with it!

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

Members
54 posts
2,689 battles

The Omaha is worth grinding through to get the Cleveland in light the coming US light cruiser split.

The Konisberg is also fun with the two rear mounted turrets.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,541 posts
7,555 battles

Even with a US line split coming, if you don't like the line, you probably won't like the new ships...

I would recommend the German line.  It's a fairly even grind all the way to Hindenberg, one of the best T10 CAs in the game.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,363 posts
12,181 battles

I thoroughly enjoy light cruisers and have fun with both Omaha and Konigsberg. Cleveland will make the Omaha grind worth it but, of the two you ask about, the Konigsberg is my preferred ship. WIth either of them (or any CL) you have to learn to WASD like a madman (madwoman?) and dance, dance, dance to avoid getting taken out in one shot.

Good luck with your choice!

Beta Testers
1,488 posts
8,988 battles

I recommend going up the USN line, but for full disclosure, I never play Axis power ships because of the regimes those vessels represented, so it has nothing to do with how good the ships are.  However, that does not mean there are not good reasons to still go USN.

As others have partially addressed, the upcoming USN Cruiser line split has two implications.  First, if you have the Cleveland at the split, you should get the T8 Cleveland and the Cleveland's T6 replacement, which will be the Pensacola.  There are additional benefits if you go up the line as far as you can (e.g., if you get to the Baltimore before the split, you would get its replacement at Tier 9 (Buffalo) plus the new Tier 8 version of the Baltimore).

I think the optimal port configuration at the split would be the Baltimore, New Orleans, and Cleveland.  Alternatively, you could keep the Pensacola instead of the New Orleans.  In either case, having those three ships in port at the split should get you the Tier 8 Cleveland, the Tier 6 Pensacola, the Tier 7 New Orleans, the Tier 8 Baltimore, and the Tier 9 Buffalo out of the split, or 5 ships for having only 3 in port.

Thus, if you can go up the current USN cruiser line, you can get one or two free ships out of it depending on how high you can get in the line and what you sell off before the split.

The other implication is that, even if you don't get to the Cleveland in time, going with the Omaha is still going to give you two lines to go up after the split.  You can go up the revamped existing line, which will be the CAs (heavy cruisers), and/or you can go up the new CL (light cruiser) line.   The German line will still have only one choice for now.