You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
db4100

Danae Class Cruiser Premium Suggestion

19 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,914 battles

Just stumbled upon this beauty.  It is the HMS Delhi built in 1918 and rebuilt in 1941 in the USA that modified the ship into a AA cruiser using the 5"/38 USN guns.   This ship could possibly be a T5?

HMS Delhi on wikipedia

plan_Light_cruiser_HMS_Delhi_1919.jpg

• Cool 9

[SPTR]
Members
3,474 posts
5,733 battles

This is certainly very interesting. I would very much willing to fork over the dollars for this ship.

Having the very powerful fletcher gun suite on a tier 5 cruiser is no joke, although she did pay for it by losing her torpedo armaments...

Very interesting indeed. Would like to see WG work on it.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,805 posts
10,309 battles

I was indecisive between T4 and T5 on this one.

On the plus side Fletcher destroyer firepower at T4-T5 is superb (and IFHE plus 127mm is nasty at T5) on the downsides Fletcher destroyer firepower on a cruiser at T5 may be too weak against cruisers or battleships, especially without torpedoes or the 5.9km detection range of a Fletcher.

At 6km you would murder a T5 destroyer, unfortunately in Delhi you'll be picked up at ~9km and that destroyer will then either kite you, or call in some heavies to smash you while you're out of effective range. Scuttling from RN CL smokescreen to RNCL smoke screen might do the job.

I hate myself for saying it but I also suspect that the 54 DPS at up to 7.2km might be a bit much at T4. especially on a ship with 5.4km air detection (so you can turn off the AA until they're that close and ambush).

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,914 battles

So would this ship get HE and smoke like the HMS Belfast?  At that point the HMS Delhi would be a USS Flint light.  Would the defensive AA consumable be too much for a tier 5?

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

A Tier V Atlanta?  Let the hilarity ensue.

9 minutes ago, db4100 said:

Would the defensive AA consumable be too much for a tier 5?

I expect so.  With HE, Smoke, Defensive AA, and un-nerfed Fletcher ROF I expect this could fit in to Tier VI with few issues.

-R

[LUCK]
Members
1,298 posts
19,550 battles

You can reliably citadel both Emerald and Danae with IFHE.

Assuming HMS Delhi has similar armor to Danae and at T5 or T6, this would simply be cannon fodder IMO so I would pass on it if was a $ premium. As freebie/campaign reward, sure.

[TF-64]
Members
372 posts
12,788 battles

5 single mount 5"/38s would be rough on a Danae at tier 6. I could see it at a 5 but losing those 6" mounts will be hard. Basically you have a larger Farragut. 

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,961 posts
1,487 battles
2 hours ago, hofmannsc said:

You can reliably citadel both Emerald and Danae with IFHE.

Assuming HMS Delhi has similar armor to Danae and at T5 or T6, this would simply be cannon fodder IMO so I would pass on it if was a $ premium. As freebie/campaign reward, sure.

Yeah people need to realise even non-IFHE DD HE can cit a danae. Now if you reclassed her as a destroyer leader so she didn't have a cit, a T5-6 placement could work, it would be kinda lulzy, (30k hp DD with fletcher firepower and a heal but khaba like concealment).

Personally i'm more interested in putting arethusa at T5 to replace Emerald in the tech tree then buffing the hell out of Emerald to turn her into a T5 premium, (her issue as far as buffing goes is she needs somthing non-standard for the line, thats fine on a premium but not a line ship).

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,256 posts
2,029 battles

I think it would be cool to see a premium of the ORP Dragon...

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,942 battles

Would buy. 5 Fletcher guns on a tier 5 light cruiser almost strikes me as a similar boat to Molotov.

Edited by Battlecruiser_NewZealand

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,806 posts
10,590 battles

You lost me with Danae and Premium in your title. I don't ever want to play Danae again yet alone pay for a ship of that class. Yuck! And I love BRN CL's.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
289 posts
4,847 battles

HMS Enterprise with her forward twin turret mount would make for a reasonably interesting T5 premium as well.

@Battlecruiser_NewZealand

Fletcher guns are almost the polar opposite of Molotov guns though. Mortar shell arcs vs railguns.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,267 posts
4,224 battles

I can almost hear the desperate screams of "No!" from the T4 carrier captains already. A ship that can murder their air group without trying and then come murder them.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,942 battles
39 minutes ago, Battleship_Orion said:

HMS Enterprise with her forward twin turret mount would make for a reasonably interesting T5 premium as well.

@Battlecruiser_NewZealand

Fletcher guns are almost the polar opposite of Molotov guns though. Mortar shell arcs vs railguns.

What I was saying is, higher tier mounts on a low tier boat.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,961 posts
1,487 battles
4 hours ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

What I was saying is, higher tier mounts on a low tier boat.

It would be fairly good, but still only Texas levels, which isn't terrible, but unlike texas you'd need manual AAA to realise it so it wouldn't be anywhere near as nasty to face with a more general purpose captain build.