Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cuesta_Rey

Working as Intended or RNG Anomaly?

49 comments in this topic

Members
1,102 posts
6,229 battles

Just finished a battle with tiers 7-9 represented, me in my tier 8 Chapayev.

I landed a total of 153 HE rounds on 7 different enemy ships, mostly battleships. Excluding fires, my HE rounds did a paltry 30,250 total damage for an average damage of 197 per round. Are you kidding me? The rounds in most cases were fired from a range of 10km or more in a high arc, so they would have landed on the decks or superstructures.

I started 10 fires for 29,650 damage. Adding the fire damage, the average damage per shell is 391 per shell. Whoopy ding.

Conversely, enemy damage to me was 36,858 from a total of 11 shells landed. An average of 3,350 damage per round landed.

Is this just an anomaly due to RNG or is this "working as intended? Seems a rather ridiculous disparity in outcome for the effort given. 

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

Seems like with the RNG updates the damage count actually drops unless you are playing in a BB and can gather a S ton of damage in a match.  Which would be nice I'm a primary destroyer player now and it seems like destroyers do considerably less damage with the RNG because of their shell size unless they are lucky enough to get a torpedo hit or two.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,966 posts
1,487 battles

Do you have IFHE? If not the only non-superstructure parts you can pen on non-DD's are T7 cruiser decks and upper belts, everyone else has enough armour to bounce you all day long everywhere but the superstructure.

[PSP]
Members
6,348 posts
8,971 battles

Remember that HE can take out modules without doing any underlying damage to the ship itself. ALso, did you check to see how many of the HE rounds shattered? 152 mm HE alone oftentimes is too weak to penetrate decks of larger ships at the given tier spread. It's best to use IFHE with anything less than 203 mm. 

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

No I don't use IFHE it isn't worth it to me.  On destroyers at least I use it for my secondaries on my Tirpitz though and yea the secondaries kill DDs with IFHE.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,473 posts
8,148 battles

Pretty much working as intended, my understanding is it's similar to WoT. Unless it pens, ad then citadels, your not going to get big numbers.

Members
1,102 posts
6,229 battles
10 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Remember that HE can take out modules without doing any underlying damage to the ship itself. ALso, did you check to see how many of the HE rounds shattered? 152 mm HE alone oftentimes is too weak to penetrate decks of larger ships at the given tier spread. It's best to use IFHE with anything less than 203 mm. 

Thanks for your reply. No, I did not check to see how many rounds shattered. Frankly, I don't know how to check that stat. Can you guide me through the process and where to look?

Thanks again.

Edited by Cuesta_Rey

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,966 posts
1,487 battles
6 minutes ago, 0crazy8s0 said:

No I don't use IFHE it isn't worth it to me.  On destroyers at least I use it for my secondaries on my Tirpitz though and yea the secondaries kill DDs with IFHE.

Then no this wasn't rng. This is normal. You want to be able to do more than set fires to anything T8+ with 6" guns you either fire AP at close range or you take IFHE. Those are your only choices.

• Cool 1

Members
1,102 posts
6,229 battles
12 minutes ago, Carl said:

Do you have IFHE? If not the only non-superstructure parts you can pen on non-DD's are T7 cruiser decks and upper belts, everyone else has enough armour to bounce you all day long everywhere but the superstructure.

No, I do not have that skill. I recently read some opinions that stated with the current meta, IFHE was a waste of skill points as it reduced the fire damage to an extent that made it's use an unwise choice.

[ZR]
WoWS Wiki Editor
566 posts
4,806 battles

It doesn't look like you have IFHE. If you want to do more damage from HE shell hits, you need IFHE. IFHE on Russian cruisers (except Moskva) is massive. 

Your fire damage is unfortunate, but that's how it is. Sometimes your fire is the fire the enemy decides to DCP and then you can't stack another fire on him to save your life. Such is the way of fires. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
9,058 posts
3 minutes ago, Cuesta_Rey said:

Thanks for your reply. No, I did not check to see how rounds shattered. Frankly, I don't know how to check that stat. Can you guide me through the process and where to look?

Thanks again.

In the results screen hold your mouse over the hits like this and it gives you the break down. Also if you dont have them enabled you should turn on the detailed ribbons option. Go to settings, controls and there should be a check box to enable it. This will let you see what the shells are doing in battle.

oxM7xwu.jpg

• Cool 3

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,966 posts
1,487 battles
1 minute ago, Cuesta_Rey said:

No, I do not have that skill. I recently read some opinions that stated with the current meta, IFHE was a waste of skill points as it reduced the fire damage to an extent that made it's use an unwise choice.

Anyone telling you that is lying out their [edited]. That simple. He penetration damage is vastly more of your total than fires if you have IFHE.

• Cool 3

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,966 posts
1,487 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

In the results screen hold your mouse over the hits like this and it gives you the break down. Also if you dont have them enabled you should turn on the detailed ribbons option. Go to settings, controls and there should be a check box to enable it. This will let you see what the shells are doing in battle.

oxM7xwu.jpg

Didn't know about that, thanks :).

[PSP]
Members
6,348 posts
8,971 battles
1 minute ago, 0crazy8s0 said:

152 mm HE from the Chapayev will penetrate up to and including 24 mm armor. Check out the armor pattern for the ship at your tier spread and see which ones are vulnerable to your HE. Conversely, 152 mm IFHE will penetrate up to and including 32 mm of armor.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

• Cool 1

Members
1,102 posts
6,229 battles
7 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

oxM7xwu.jpg

Thanks much!

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,966 posts
1,487 battles

As a p.s you can see the HE penetration effect without having IFHE by going and shooting up some T5 and T6 BB's in your Budyonny if you still have her, you'll see much more damage much faster on the T5's because you can pen them without IFHE, but bounce off the T6's. Then mousing over details for damage to that ship in the results screen, my experiance is that HE damage even without IFHE on the Budyonny, (couldn't get the points for it), was twice the fire damage on anything i could pen.

Members
1,102 posts
6,229 battles

After checking, I had 63 rounds penetrate, 90 rounds did not penetrate. None shattered.

I am going to spend the gold to respec my 14 point Chappy captain to include IFHE.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,966 posts
1,487 battles

No worries :). And good sailing in future. Besides i learned something too :Smile-_tongue:.

Members
1,102 posts
6,229 battles
4 minutes ago, issm said:

You were probably shooting at saturated sections for half damage to no damage.

And how is one to know which sections of a ship are saturated. Can you guide me through that process, please?

[PSP]
Members
6,348 posts
8,971 battles
18 minutes ago, Cuesta_Rey said:

And how is one to know which sections of a ship are saturated. Can you guide me through that process, please?

This has to be determined empirically or inferred from experience. When you are shooting at a certain area of a ship, keep track of how your damage is adding up. If the damage stops ticking up significantly, even though your shells continue to hit, you've saturated that area.

Edited by Snargfargle

[NOVA]
Members
11,026 posts
26 minutes ago, Cuesta_Rey said:

The ones that are blackened are saturated.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,906 battles

Don't forget damage saturation, dark areas take less damage.

[ZR]
Members
961 posts
11,320 battles
40 minutes ago, Cuesta_Rey said:

After checking, I had 63 rounds penetrate, 90 rounds did not penetrate. None shattered.

I am going to spend the gold to respec my 14 point Chappy captain to include IFHE.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Non pens are shatters btw.

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,966 posts
1,487 battles

Generally for HE shells it's only an issue on the superstructure, which will become saturated very rapidly. NC for example has her's saturate after just 3300 damage dealt.

Sign in to follow this