You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LastSamurai714

Yamato Woes

18 comments in this topic

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

Nothing wrong with the ship.

So why the woes?  

She does not excel alone.  The WoWS random battle player base does not excel at fighting as a team.  One would assume by tier 10 people would have at least some idea that a Yamato can lock down whole sides of the map.  Nope.  "F tactics I do what I want."  "Why shouldn't four of us go to D"

Not to say I've got it all figured out but....wow.  No I don't division.  No I probably won't division.  99.9% of my 3k games are solo random battles.  The Yamato is anything but a lone wolf and a disappointment for solo random battles.

Great ship but...if you run alone...you may want to focus your efforts elsewhere.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

As a matter of principal, no ship should be alone in any battle type, right now the meta is screwed up, so all ships need to be able to solo somewhat. Unfortunately some can't, and must be shelved until a new meta arrives. Which is unfortunate, as most are very good ships.

This is also why CVs are so OP, as the primary ship class that punishes bad team play, they naturally excel in the current meta. This is not due to a fault in their design, but by a bad meta that they are made to punish and correct.

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles
11 minutes ago, megadeux said:

As a matter of principal, no ship should be alone in any battle type, right now the meta is screwed up, so all ships need to be able to solo somewhat. Unfortunately some can't, and must be shelved until a new meta arrives. Which is unfortunate, as most are very good ships.

This is also why CVs are so OP, as the primary ship class that punishes bad team play, they naturally excel in the current meta. This is not due to a fault in their design, but by a bad meta that they are made to punish and correct.

Good point.  Not saying that I sail off alone in Yammy...more that a team keeping DD's off of you and letting your guns do work isn't something random teams excel at.  Sticking with the Yamato and using him as a shield while he citadels EVERYONE and keeping planes and DD's away....naaaaaaahhhhh...we are going to cap D because you're not the boss of us.  That is what makes Yamato not fun.  You need other players and that is as big of a weakness as any in this game.

Maybe I should learn CV's :)

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
6 minutes ago, LastSamurai714 said:

Good point.  Not saying that I sail off alone in Yammy...more that a team keeping DD's off of you and letting your guns do work isn't something random teams excel at.  Sticking with the Yamato and using him as a shield while he citadels EVERYONE and keeping planes and DD's away....naaaaaaahhhhh...we are going to cap D because you're not the boss of us.  That is what makes Yamato not fun.  You need other players and that is as big of a weakness as any in this game.

Maybe I should learn CV's :)

It's hard, really hard. And full of tiers, agony, and 7k damage games.

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles
2 minutes ago, megadeux said:

It's hard, really hard. And full of tiers, agony, and 7k damage games.

Or 200k damage 4 kill losses while the other 11 ships account for 1.  Lol!

Edited by LastSamurai714

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
8 minutes ago, LastSamurai714 said:

Or 200k damage 4 kill losses while the other 11 ships account for 1.  Lol!

It's the CVs fault. :P

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles
1 hour ago, megadeux said:

It's the CVs fault. :P

I swear to fking god I'm about to delete this game and just walk away like I did with WOTB after 16k games.  WG will never get it right.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
Just now, LastSamurai714 said:

I swear to fking god I'm about to delete this game and just walk away like I did with WOTB after 16k games.  WG will never get it right.

Good grief, but why? It's the player's fault, not WG's.

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles
25 minutes ago, megadeux said:

Good grief, but why? It's the player's fault, not WG's.

As always.  Get better.  Play smarter.  Stop using WG as an excuse for MY mistakes lol.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
16 minutes ago, LastSamurai714 said:

As always.  Get better.  Play smarter.  Stop using WG as an excuse for MY mistakes lol.

WG screws up a lot, but they don't do game breaking crap, so most of the bad things in game are because of a bad player base I wasn't reffering to you specifically.

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles
23 minutes ago, megadeux said:

WG screws up a lot, but they don't do game breaking crap, so most of the bad things in game are because of a bad player base I wasn't reffering to you specifically.

So 4 tier 8's vs no tier 8's in a tier 10 match isn't game breaking?

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
2 minutes ago, LastSamurai714 said:

So 4 tier 8's vs no tier 8's in a tier 10 match isn't game breaking?

Didn't they fix that in a recent Patch?

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
8 hours ago, LastSamurai714 said:

Not as of today.

Didn't they have a patch which fixed something about MM tiering? I think that MM makes each team have the same average tier or whatnot. Anyway, queue times are already too long for my CV it would take even longer if they tried equivalent tier MM.

Members
1,544 posts
8,201 battles

Hey

Had my best game yet at just over 201K damage and 68.5K of that damage was when a Yammie pressed into a cap point and I proceeded to show him the errors of his way with my T10 Hindenburg, he died to my guns and I took relatively little damage from him, even though he tried.   He pushed in with a Minotaur but I was able to stay away from the Minotaur and yet wrecked poor Yammie.  I did help with Minotaur afterwards but he didn't die by my hand.  Fun was had!

Pete

Beta Testers
1,415 posts
On 12/13/2017 at 9:08 PM, LastSamurai714 said:

Nothing wrong with the ship.

So why the woes?  

She does not excel alone.  The WoWS random battle player base does not excel at fighting as a team.  One would assume by tier 10 people would have at least some idea that a Yamato can lock down whole sides of the map.  Nope.  "F tactics I do what I want."  "Why shouldn't four of us go to D"

Not to say I've got it all figured out but....wow.  No I don't division.  No I probably won't division.  99.9% of my 3k games are solo random battles.  The Yamato is anything but a lone wolf and a disappointment for solo random battles.

Great ship but...if you run alone...you may want to focus your efforts elsewhere.

The only ships that can do their own thing are destroyers..and only because stealth allows them to. 

Overall what completely prevents the game from delivering a solid experience is the terribad design decisions made on HE/Fire and on XP/Credit rewards. 

Both of the above specifically reward exploiting poorly designed game elements (aka cruiser setting you on triple fires then stealthing out) and xp/credits being heavily based on damage inflicted and kills. The latter is not as bad as it used to be but you still have the issue that a destroyer focusing on scouting and supporting and doing average damage with torpedoes gets the short end of the stick at game's ends XP/Credits despite the fact it was that DD's efforts that gave the team the advantage to win (by keeping the entire red team spotted and forcing them to maneuver and expose their citadels). 

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,775 posts
5,809 battles
On 12/14/2017 at 10:08 PM, Skyfaller said:

The only ships that can do their own thing are destroyers..and only because stealth allows them to. 

Overall what completely prevents the game from delivering a solid experience is the terribad design decisions made on HE/Fire and on XP/Credit rewards. 

Both of the above specifically reward exploiting poorly designed game elements (aka cruiser setting you on triple fires then stealthing out) and xp/credits being heavily based on damage inflicted and kills. The latter is not as bad as it used to be but you still have the issue that a destroyer focusing on scouting and supporting and doing average damage with torpedoes gets the short end of the stick at game's ends XP/Credits despite the fact it was that DD's efforts that gave the team the advantage to win (by keeping the entire red team spotted and forcing them to maneuver and expose their citadels). 

You have to remember that the game was quite a ways along before it was decided to drop the "World of Battleships" idea and change it to "World of Warships". They have a long way to go to rectify their original design decisions (although I would have been quite happy with WoBships) to suit the current multi platform design.

XP is based on spotting damage and is target (and tier) dependent for damage. IE, a BB doing 10k to a destroyer is worth more XP than doing 10k to a cruiser or BB and a T10 gets more XP shooting at a T10 than at a T8. Everyone with T10 experience should know that the team with a DD left after the half way point in a match will most likely win. The trick is to get DD players not to yolo suicide rush in the first 2 minutes.

Fire, while I hate it, is WG's way of leveling out the playing field. It allows cruisers and to a lesser extent destroyers, to compete on the damage scale. Fire was not originally intended to be a major factor but had to be buffed to give cruisers a chance to be 'equal' to a BB or DD. This has made T8/T9 BB's fear T10 cruisers more than T10 BB's, the DoT of a T10 cruiser combined with laser accuracy, ridiculous rate of fire and insane fire chance is a very bad combination.

• Cool 1

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

70 some odd games in now and no change in stats really.  37% win rate...same damage...same KD not really making process with her.

I picked up a Gearing and am closing in on 60% WR.

I gave up on Yammy for now.  She's in port rusting away.  I will get around to making adjustments in play style later, but for now she's just not fun to play.