You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Zeka

Don't underestimate VMF AP

26 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,210 battles

Title says it all. Whether it be a Moskva, Khab, Udaloi, Tashkent, Donskoi, or even ships like Kirov, and Gnevny or Molotov, DONT SHOW YOUR BROADSIDE. A lot of people seem to not realize just how potent VMF AP is. They have a fire-breathing reputation, so AP tends to not cross their minds it seems. Don't let it fly over yours in battle.

shot-17.12.13_20.11.07-0792.jpg

shot-17.12.13_20.11.11-0753.jpg

shot-17.12.13_20.11.17-0417.jpg

@AllysaRockz Tag, you're it

Edited by FireAndHEspam
  • Cool 1

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,302 posts
7,003 battles

AP from all ships is dangerous if the wielder knows how to use it. 

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,210 battles
3 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

AP from all ships is dangerous if the wielder knows how to use it. 

Fair enough, but ships like the Khab and Moskva, ships like those that have a reputation as flamethrowers, people tend to let the idea of AP fly over their heads, is all. But when its the enemy team doing that, who's really complaining :cap_yes:

• Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,865 posts
11,578 battles

AP from DDs in general is often underestimated. Often have cruisers get excited to kill me and turn full broadside.... then a few citadels later they are dead and I am not lol

(where did the clan tags on our profiles go? That was the one thing about the change I really liked)

[STORM]
Alpha Tester
1,018 posts
2,686 battles
3 minutes ago, KongouIsBestShip said:

I melted a Des Moines with AP in a Grozovoi in clan battles several weeks ago. Those 130's at close range are monstrous.

Once torped a Zao on my right at 4 km with my Z-52, turned guns left and killed his teammate at 7 km with AP, in clan wars. Was wonderful

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,210 battles
6 minutes ago, KongouIsBestShip said:

I melted a Des Moines with AP in a Grozovoi in clan battles several weeks ago. Those 130's at close range are monstrous.

2 minutes ago, 1An0maly1 said:

Once torped a Zao on my right at 4 km with my Z-52, turned guns left and killed his teammate at 7 km with AP, in clan wars. Was wonderful

Kind of reminds me of the time I torped an island cockroach Des meme Des Moines and APed a Baltimore to death for a double strike. Another time I melted a Neptune with 12 cits from close range in the Khab 

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,406 posts
3,583 battles

I caught a Montana off guard the other night in my Kidd and pumped out 30k of AP volleys in about 30 seconds. :cap_cool:

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

DD AP is actually quite a good deal more potent than people realize. Problem is a lot of people always try and hit the citadel where armor is thickest. But even against a BB, if a DD throws AP into the upper belt and superstructure, those damage numbers will climb up fast. And against cruisers showing broadside within brawling range, you can citadel them for days.

[TF-64]
Members
376 posts
12,827 battles

I've chewed up quite a number of aobas with USN DDs for some reason. Pensacolas and RN CLs have a habit of not showing board to anything if they can help it. That's probably just my luck of the draw though. 

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,964 posts
1,487 battles
3 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

DD AP is actually quite a good deal more potent than people realize. Problem is a lot of people always try and hit the citadel where armor is thickest. But even against a BB, if a DD throws AP into the upper belt and superstructure, those damage numbers will climb up fast. And against cruisers showing broadside within brawling range, you can citadel them for days.

Yeah russian 130mm's are pretty much the only things that are going through cruiser belt armour above 5km. And even they can't handle the most well armoured cruisers until below that. But as you point out most DD's have enough raw dpm to really chew things up with normal pens. A Khab can kill a Grober in under a minute under ideal circumstances without a single cit. And Lhab dosen;t even have the best gun DPM at tier.

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,381 battles
18 hours ago, Cobraclutch said:

I caught a Montana off guard the other night in my Kidd and pumped out 30k of AP volleys in about 30 seconds. :cap_cool:

Well I'll be damned.   At what range?   

I love me some Kirov AP.  Hits so hard at that tier.   Doesn't seem to work that well against BBs though that I've ever seen.  

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles

@FireAndHEspam Great battle, but am I doing something wrong here? Whenever I use AP in my American DDs it feels weak and useless and often causes me more grief than good. Am I supposed to be using the AP at suicide range or what? I tested my Mahan in a training room against T7-T5 ships just to see what everyone was on about with DD AP and I just couldn't get it to work very well. It just doesn't feel right and a lot of the times I was either failing to penetrate or just straight up overpenning.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,406 posts
3,583 battles
40 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

Well I'll be damned.   At what range?   

I love me some Kirov AP.  Hits so hard at that tier.   Doesn't seem to work that well against BBs though that I've ever seen.  

Caught him at 5.8 km with his broadside all exposed. He just decided to ignore me and not push into my smoke. So he just sailed past my smoke at close range, closest he ever got was 4.0km

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
12,199 battles
21 hours ago, FireAndHEspam said:

A lot of people seem to not realize just how potent VMF AP is.

Who are these people? It is widely known that russian of all AP is the stronkest.

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,210 battles
9 minutes ago, NotoriousRNG said:

Who are these people? It is widely known that russian of all AP is the stronkest.

All the ones who gladly show broadside to Khabarovsks

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,210 battles
33 minutes ago, AllysaRockz said:

@FireAndHEspam Great battle, but am I doing something wrong here? Whenever I use AP in my American DDs it feels weak and useless and often causes me more grief than good. Am I supposed to be using the AP at suicide range or what? I tested my Mahan in a training room against T7-T5 ships just to see what everyone was on about with DD AP and I just couldn't get it to work very well. It just doesn't feel right and a lot of the times I was either failing to penetrate or just straight up overpenning.

Well bear in mind that USN DD AP is far different from VMF AP, especially at longer ranges. Different shell speeds, arcs, flight times, normalization, shell weight, etc all factor into the penetration, which it should be clear that USN is the loser at range. In USN DDs most of your time is going to be spent knife fighting other DDs in capture points, and you'll be firing HE, but when a CL, CA, or even a BB shows broadside to you at about 8km or less, when your shell arcs begin to flatten out, USN DD AP into the upper belt armor/superstructure of BBs, and citadel hits vs broadside cruisers, the magic range for USN AP is about 8km or less, assuming A.) you have support, and B, you have an escape route if you need to. 

• Cool 1

Members
440 posts
12,808 battles
19 hours ago, m373x said:

Went stream sniping the other day

Wow... you brawl him down for 37k, then that dirty kill-steal at the end. :Smile_trollface:

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles

The reason I even threw in the towel and started on Russian destroyers was because a Kiev raked my Atlanta with AP salvos and permanently destroyed 6 of my 8 total turrets before I could even get them turned around to shoot at it.

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
12,199 battles
31 minutes ago, FireAndHEspam said:

All the ones who gladly show broadside to Khabarovsks

They probably have to because its a better choice not to show it to another BB.

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,210 battles
12 minutes ago, NotoriousRNG said:

They probably have to because its a better choice not to show it to another BB.

Well when that one lone Khabarovsk is the only one on that flank holding ground and the next closest enemy is ~16km away? How about that?

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,381 battles
17 hours ago, AraAragami said:

a Kiev raked my Atlanta with AP salvos and permanently destroyed 6 of my 8 total turrets before I could even get them turned around to shoot at it.

Thats awesome haha.   When you finally gained sight of him,  was his ship just a trollface?  

Members
2,412 posts
7,727 battles

Most crusiers and some DDs underestimate AP ammo. Yes its situational, the enemy need to be broadsided, yet if this situation presentes itself AP is better than HE. But most players dont realize that and spam HE only.

*nice game btw :Smile_honoring: 

Edited by Xlap