Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DQCraze

Tips for Ranger vs AA lvl 19 captain Saipan

9 comments in this topic

[WB]
Members
117 posts
8,951 battles

Playing my ranger and came up against a fully specced AA saipan.  I straffed did my best to keep fighters 1 v 1, he would just straff everything I had, any tips would be appreciated.  I do fairly well against any other lvl 7 CV.  I just cant crack the Saipan.

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,840 battles

Sorry, against a well driven Saipan nothing to do, just fight over your ships and cover them from enemy bombers or torpedo bombers. They can disengage without losses. Just nullify their damage capability and spot enemy torpedoes, and hope for a window to deal some damage.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,452 posts
8,107 battles

Make sure you have DFE (Dogfightig Expert), AS, and build fighters. Beyond that, try and stay as close to team cruisers/BB's as you can to try and use their AA so if he strafe locks you he maybe loses some planes to cut his effectiveness down. 

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Find your strongest AA location, and give that area close bomber support. Most AA in t7 games doesn't do much to Saipan fighters, but not much is slightly better than nothing.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,368 battles

I had one of these games.  Actually it was Kaga vs an enemy Saipan which is worse for trying to fight the fighters.  Our top tier DD actually said “I’m not going in to the cap until you clear the skies.”  The other DDs followed his example and found an island to get behind.  Every single DD hugged a rock.  Naturally the bigger ships didn't go past them.  Normally I don't remember surface ship rage because I get the idea that it goes with the territory and it's funny af most of the time, and I appreciate some good bantz...but this was the dumbest thing I ever saw someone say in a carrier game.  I launched some suicidal torp runs at the enemy DDs, tried to fight just to see if anyone would man up, and our entire stationary team got a few ships picked off by gunfire.

It was the shortest match I have ever had in this game.  Shorter than 3v3s I've been in.  I've actually seen Wot Blitz matches last longer.  Carriers run on meme fuel.

[BZERK]
Members
711 posts
3,133 battles

If all else fails, try to get to within visual range of him, and close in for a secondary duel. You got some secondaries, he's got none. If you can keep bombers in the air and knock off health, you can get an advantage.

Members
72 posts
790 battles

I, too have been murdered by a Saipan...twice. I think the average life expectancy of my fighters in those games was about 30 seconds. Sigh...the only good news is that Saipans aren't that common to run into.

[-BRS-]
Members
890 posts
7,594 battles
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, DQCraze said:

Playing my ranger and came up against a fully specced AA saipan.  I straffed did my best to keep fighters 1 v 1, he would just straff everything I had, any tips would be appreciated.  I do fairly well against any other lvl 7 CV.  I just cant crack the Saipan.

ranger (and lex) kinda get shanked at their tier cause you have only one fighter. You have to play defensively, wait for opportunities' to get strikes in. You have to position your fighter on defending the largest blob of friendlies you can and focus down his strike aircraft. IF you get lockuped, time your strafe out to catch his incoming fighters.

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake
grammar

Sign in to follow this