Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SyrusGraves

IFHE Question

4 comments in this topic

[KNOTS]
Members
2 posts
4,649 battles

I have a question revolving around inertia fuse high explosive and standard high explosive penetration rates. The gearing's 127 mm after doing the 1/6 penetration math says that it can punch 21 millimeters of armor. The actual math is 21.16 continuous. My question is, does that mean it should be able to punch the gearing's 21mm armor belt or does it need to penetrate 22 mm of armor in order to do full damage against the gearing 21mm plate? As it stands right now the gearing's shells cannot penetrate the 21mm armor without ifhe and that brings up my second question is ifhe worth taking on the gearing? I feel like it does but I need some help because everyone and their brother is saying I've wasted Four Points.

[-K-]
Supertester
5,153 posts
8,946 battles

IFHE is most useful on ships like the Akizuki, HSF Harekaze, Atlanta, etc. In the case of the Akizuki and HSF Harekaze, they need it for engagements with other DDs. Without IFHE, their HE is fairly toothless even against lightly armored targets. 

Most of the ships the Gearing will be using its guns on (i.e. other destroyers) won't need the extra pen from IFHE. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

[PSP]
Members
6,342 posts
8,968 battles
1 hour ago, SyrusGraves said:

I have a question revolving around inertia fuse high explosive and standard high explosive penetration rates. The gearing's 127 mm after doing the 1/6 penetration math says that it can punch 21 millimeters of armor. The actual math is 21.16 continuous. My question is, does that mean it should be able to punch the gearing's 21mm armor belt or does it need to penetrate 22 mm of armor in order to do full damage against the gearing 21mm plate? As it stands right now the gearing's shells cannot penetrate the 21mm armor without ifhe and that brings up my second question is ifhe worth taking on the gearing? I feel like it does but I need some help because everyone and their brother is saying I've wasted Four Points.

IFHE is good for anything "HE" under 203 mm. In fact, for low-tier 102 mm "popguns" it's absolutely necessary if one wants to fire at a battleship and do anything at all.

Let's look at your 127 mm guns though. As a US DD, you will be using the formula below:

HE shell diameter needed to penetrate armor = (armor + 0.5) * 6

= (21 + 0.5) * 6 = 129 mm.

Since the Gearing's 127 mm HE shells are smaller than the required 129 mm, they will not penetrate 21 mm armor.

IFHE adds 30% penetration, so the formula for it is (armor + 0.5) * 6 / 1.3

= (21 + 0.5) * 6 / 1.3 = 100 (rounded up)

Therefore 127 mm IFHE, being larger than 100 mm will easily penetrate 21 mm of armor. In fact, the aforementioned 102 mm "popguns" with IFHE also will penetrate this amount of armor, just barely.

Remember that HE doesn't act like AP, which has to penetrate a certain amount of armor for the fuse to arm. In WOWS the HE shell either penetrates and does explosion damage or shatters and doesn't, although a shattered shell can still set a fire.

This is the place you need to go to understand shell penetration: 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

[KNOTS]
Members
2 posts
4,649 battles

Snargfargle

This is the best responce to this question I have recoved so far based on my personal experience in the game.  I find that being able to penetrate without fail with HE allows me to win more fights then having extra healthwithout the penetrating power.  Thank you flr the information.

Sign in to follow this