Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tzarevitch

DB hit for zero damage destroys module

8 comments in this topic

[NUWES]
Members
1,655 posts
5,557 battles

I was in Ranger last week, I dropped dive bombs on a DD and did zero damage to it, but it said I destroyed a module. Two days later exact same thing happened again with a Ranger DB on a DD. I don't remember what modules were destroyed or what the DDs were (I think one was a Mahan and the other was a Japanese DD). Could someone kindly explain to me how a DB hit does zero damage but still destroys a module? (I am guessing that the bomb did do damage but it was localized to the module and the system doesn't report the amount of damage to a module.)

[SF-A]
Members
2,893 posts
5,682 battles

Splash damage. Especially on DDs, their weapons and machinery are very exposed or have very little armor around them. The other possibility is that your drop was a little off-center and hit areas that were completely saturated.

• Cool 1

Members
687 posts
4,371 battles

Modules have their own separate HP pools that take damage from shells or bombs. Unlike ship HP they can also be affected by splash damage from HE shells and HE bombs which I suspect is what happened in your case. 

You could however hit a DD with an HE shell and do zero damage because the shell damaged a module which absorbed the damage. I assume HE bombs can work the same way but I don't know. 

[YAN]
Members
1,640 posts
7,466 battles

What you've already theorized.

Damaging hits to modules do not count as damage to the ship but deplete the modules health and in the case of anything that isn't an engine, rudder or magazine, destroys it upon reaching 0 hp.

[NUWES]
Members
1,655 posts
5,557 battles

Thanks for the answers everyone. :Smile_honoring:

I thought I was seeing things the first time, then it happened again and I decided I should ask and confirm what happened. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,214 battles

You can also completely miss ships and still break modules if the HE shell or HE bomb is large enough. They have a blast radius, and that blast radius can originate from a bomb/shell impact near, but not part of a ship. If the blast radius is large enough to intersect with a part of the vessel, and there is a module that is either unprotected or only very lightly armored (often an AA gun, or on DDs it can be almost anything, even engines if it's a close miss with a real big bomb/HE shell) the blast will deal damage to that module, but not to the ship. Blast radius damage won't lower a ship's HP. @LittleWhiteMousehas a thread about HE blast effects that she made a while back. It might have been specifically relating to how battleships firing HE can detonate destroyers fairly easily. It was a complex, but highly informative thread (kind of the LWM standard honestly).

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
40 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Thanks for the answers everyone. :Smile_honoring:

I thought I was seeing things the first time, then it happened again and I decided I should ask and confirm what happened. 

No harm in asking man, if you don't realize that little detail about the modules you can get confused, happened to me when I was an Alpha tester, but eventually through the forum I found the reason why it happend. A very fair and honest question. Just a little idea for next time add a replay or screenshot,  always useful to help get your point across (if it sounds like I'm flaming you or being elitist that is not my intention just a little extra advice for future reference).

Sign in to follow this