You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shorty_31

Should I buy the USS Sims or the USS Indianapolis

28 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,330 posts
3,591 battles

What are your primary need's cruiser training or dd training? I personally liked Sims better because it could be more flexible than Indianapolis. If this is a question between should I pick the most fun one to play the answer is the same Sims. Indianapolis needs a buff to rudder shift time as it stands now even only if it is a slight one. I don't hate the Indianapolis I just like my Sims better.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,247 posts
3,106 battles

Neither. 

Wait a while, see if you enjoy cruiser or destroyer playstyle more. Both of the ships you're thinking about aren't easy to use well, so it would help to just take some time, go a bit farther in your lines, and see where you stand in a while. Perhaps by then your question will have answered itself, no?

• Cool 2

[USCG]
Members
208 posts
13,021 battles

Depends on what you like to play... I have the Sims, not the Indy.  I wasn't a fan of US DDs (gun arcs are too high at distance) but I received a Sims in a Santa crate last year and LOVE IT!  Not sure what's different about her but she is a fun DD to play.  As far as the Indy goes, I have no interest in her...none.  Wasn't a fan of the Pensacola or the New Orleans so I figure the Indy is similar.  Maybe I'm wrong but I'll hold onto my money.

Good luck & Semper paratus!

[HOTMC]
Members
29 posts
4,781 battles

Get a few more battles under your belt to see if you are a DD or CA type; and then wait for one of the two to be on-sale! I think the Holiday Sale starts soon, it could be one of the ones available during that sale.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,247 posts
12,800 battles

Neither are particularly good ships.

• Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,687 posts
9,098 battles

With only 143 total matches I would say don't buy either one because you will be in far over your head. They are not candidates for permanent removal so they will be there when you are ready.

[TBW]
Members
6,413 posts
12,059 battles
43 minutes ago, shorty_31 said:

Should I purchase tr USS Sims or the USS Indianapolis? 

I checked the Magic 8 ball and it said it was decidedly so

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,870 posts
11,592 battles

Getting a t7 premium when you have so few matches is a bad idea. Wait till you have and are comfortable with tech tree t7s before getting a premium. Having said that, Sims is IMO the better ship with more potential to carry a match. But if you vastly prefer cruisers over destroyers... maybe Indy is your boat. (better premium cruisers than Indy you could get though)

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
657 posts
8,003 battles

I have both.  I thought the Indie was a little lackluster, but still play it occasionally.  I've had the Sims since CBT.  I don't like the arcs on American DD's and haven't played it since.  Wait a week or so for the Christmas sales.  They might even do the Santa Crates again this year. 

[-BRS-]
Members
1,641 posts
13,656 battles
56 minutes ago, Lert said:

Neither are particularly good ships.

I wouldn't call it great but the Sims is a good ship I don't have the Indianapolis but I do have the Sims and I must say I love the ship it's not great but it's a lot of fun in the right hands

Members
879 posts
9,111 battles

I don't rem 150 battles, but I rem what it feels like to jump into an Atago too early - it hampers your growth. 

Not interested in the Texas?  It was a good ship to learn BB on.  If you can talk yourself into staying at max range and have a 10 point captain Indianapolis is a good ship I play more than Sims - of course I use my Baltimore Captain Seagal. 

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
730 posts
11,968 battles

As has been said, it may be a good idea to wait on buying either ship. The challenge level rises pretty dramatically beyond Tier 4, and you would be well beyond that in either of these ships. This would more than likely lead to tremendous frustration. Far better, imo, to learn the lessons each tier has to offer, try out different ship types and nationalities, discover what you enjoy most, and buy premium ships that are in line with that. There is no rush, brother. Truly.

Respects,

Am

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles

Not in the ship type you are asking about OP, but the Arizona was one of my first premiums and a good boat to learn in.  She's not the fastest, but is pretty forgiving (has tanky armor) and really good guns.  She earns good amounts of silver, too.

I also got the Scharn pretty early  - a bit before I was ready to play her to the fullest extent.  She's a beast for me now, though, and one to consider down the road if you want a BB with cruiser-like handling, reload, and torps.

Members
2 posts
420 battles

Thank you for your advice! I am going to wait until the holiday sale, and see what I enjoy playing the best to decide what I am going to purchase. 

[O7]
[O7]
Members
291 posts
12,355 battles

I personally recommend Sims. I run mine with an AA build, but still rack up decent caps, damage, and of course plane kills in CV matches. It really shines in Div with a T7 CV though.

[SALVO]
Members
17,112 posts
17,794 battles
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:07 PM, silverdahc said:

I wouldn't call it great but the Sims is a good ship I don't have the Indianapolis but I do have the Sims and I must say I love the ship it's not great but it's a lot of fun in the right hands

I actually think that the Sims is pretty good within the scope of what she can do.  I personally think that she needs a serious torpedo buff, because both of her torp options are garbage.  It's just a choice of slow garbage and fast garbage.

That said, as a DD that's very effective at counter-DD play, she's really quite solid.  The Sims is pretty quick, has good guns for counter-DD brawling, has that great USN smoke, and IIRC has pretty good AA as well.  If you play the Sims to her strengths, she can do pretty darned well even when bottom tier because her speed and guns hold up quite well.  The Sims really shines in domination battles where she can work the areas around caps. 

Members
1,847 posts
17,666 battles
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:53 PM, shorty_31 said:

Thank you for your advice! I am going to wait until the holiday sale, and see what I enjoy playing the best to decide what I am going to purchase. 

^^^all that being said^^^ tomorrow Santa crates go on sale...much better idea to spend the $ on those...if the ship drop ratio is anywhere near what it was last year you could clean up on a whole fleet of options for the same price as either or both of those...

Now that was last year but wait until you read the forums for a couple of days...lots of people w/lots of money often but 100s of $s worth of crates then post what they get...should give you an idea weather this year is as worthy as last year.

On a side note...hopefully you get a low tier something or other also to practice on because the skill level at the high tiers can get frustrating if you haven't got the practice of building up to those tiers.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos