You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

Tears of the Desert and Epicenter

23 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

In playing WoWs day in and day out.  I've come to see three things above tier 7.  First being "Tiers of the Desert".  Not a bad map at all but it needs to be scaled down a bit.  Quite a bit.  I've posted on this subject before, but never by itself.  Now frankly.  The map is okay like I said, it just needs to be resized and re fit.  It is far too large of a map.  Players just like to pitch their tents in Tears of the Desert and camp.  Put up a nice cooking fire and all.

Thirdly, I don't know why it is so important to have epicenter on the map.  There are players that just literally HATE this mode.  I am one of those players that literally HATES epicenter mode.  I think it could just be taken out of game all together.  So what's the third wheel in all of this.  I do think they need to re-size Tears of the Desert in order to make it great again.  Personally as a now destroyer player we always rush for the middle in most cases at the start.

BBs and cruisers usually stick to the middle or camp outside the islands and just try to snipe.  This is just an annoyance because they are always hiding behind the islands until at least the end of the given match time itself.  Please Wargaming.  Do something about this map and mode to change the player tactics that are used SPECIFICLY for this map alone.  Isn't this game supposed to be fun?  Not boring.  This is the only map the game gets boring on that I find.

P.s. Wargaming PLEASE bring BACK Ocean to a regular basis in the map line up.  To further example here is a image of the map Tears of the Desert.  which inevitably needs to be changed in order to be a good map again.

597a7a592845f_TearsoftheDesert.jpg.cb3048324d4d9b9048d7f1b16536e7c6.jpg

[TF16]
Members
826 posts
5,063 battles

I think the spawns could just be adjusted and we are golden.  

In the map, have Green spawn around D1, and Red around H1.  

• Cool 1

Members
644 posts
4,257 battles
5 minutes ago, Sock5 said:

I think the spawns could just be adjusted and we are golden.  

In the map, have Green spawn around D1, and Red around H1.  

The spawn switch idea has floated around for awhile and really is the ideal solution, requiring the minimum of effort. The map isn't bad in and of itself. Epicenter as a game mode is fine (I believe). It's the only mode that forces people to get a little closer to each other than normal.

• Cool 1

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
7,736 battles

I didn't like ocean map, though that's mostly because I only seemed to see that map in my Atlanta 

[SALVO]
Members
17,049 posts
17,674 battles
29 minutes ago, 0crazy8s0 said:

In playing WoWs day in and day out.  I've come to see three things above tier 7.  First being "Tiers of the Desert".  Not a bad map at all but it needs to be scaled down a bit.  Quite a bit.  I've posted on this subject before, but never by itself.  Now frankly.  The map is okay like I said, it just needs to be resized and re fit.  It is far too large of a map.  Players just like to pitch their tents in Tears of the Desert and camp.  Put up a nice cooking fire and all.

Thirdly, I don't know why it is so important to have epicenter on the map.  There are players that just literally HATE this mode.  I am one of those players that literally HATES epicenter mode.  I think it could just be taken out of game all together.  So what's the third wheel in all of this.  I do think they need to re-size Tears of the Desert in order to make it great again.  Personally as a now destroyer player we always rush for the middle in most cases at the start.

BBs and cruisers usually stick to the middle or camp outside the islands and just try to snipe.  This is just an annoyance because they are always hiding behind the islands until at least the end of the given match time itself.  Please Wargaming.  Do something about this map and mode to change the player tactics that are used SPECIFICLY for this map alone.  Isn't this game supposed to be fun?  Not boring.  This is the only map the game gets boring on that I find.

P.s. Wargaming PLEASE bring BACK Ocean to a regular basis in the map line up.  To further example here is a image of the map Tears of the Desert.  which inevitably needs to be changed in order to be a good map again.

I disagree.  Tears is NOT too large.  Not at all.  I will say that it will stink if you're in a tier 7 Colorado in a tier 9 battle, but that's not the fault of the map.  It's the fault of the ship, and the fact that the devs haven't given the Colorado a fictional speed upgrade.

I think that the large size is great because it means that ships involved in engagements near the NE cap are out of range to affect ships involved in engagements down at the SW cap.

The only thing about Tears that needs to be changed is the spawn locations for Tears-Epicenter.  They need to be moved from the NW/SE to the NE/SW.  This would change how teams perceive those two walls of islands that surround the central Epicenter cap in the middle of the map, and hopefully change the dynamic of game play in Epicenter mode on this map.  Frankly, it couldn't get any worse, given the way that far too many heavy ships camp and snipe from behind those wall islands.

As for Ocean, I 100000000% agree.  Ocean-domination is a great map that should be part of the regular rotation at the same level as any other map.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,049 posts
17,674 battles
21 minutes ago, Jiggiwatt said:

The spawn switch idea has floated around for awhile and really is the ideal solution, requiring the minimum of effort. The map isn't bad in and of itself. Epicenter as a game mode is fine (I believe). It's the only mode that forces people to get a little closer to each other than normal.

If one things about it, domination mode tends to (or is intended to) spread teams out a bit to cover at least 2 of 3 cap points.  OTOH, Epicenter mode seems intended to concentrate the teams around the central area of an Epi-map.  They don't have to actually all be IN the epi rings, but they should be close enough to support their team mates who are contesting the rings as well as engage enemy ships who are trying to support their cap contenders.  Once you realize this, you realize that Epicenter really isn't about forcing big, close range brawls in the middle of the map.  It's just about keeping the two teams in somewhat closer proximity to one another than you might normally see on domination or standard mode maps.

[SALVO]
Members
17,049 posts
17,674 battles
2 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Ocean is a map that still comes up, just less often.

But no where near often enough.  I can't remember the last time I fought a battle on Ocean, it's that  bad.  :Smile_sad:

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,446 posts
11,741 battles

Tears, epicenter, tier 10....

Almost as much fun as pulling your own teeth out.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles
3 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Tears, epicenter, tier 10....

Almost as much fun as pulling your own teeth out.

No, play Ocean with an Atlanta. That's like stepping on a landmine you know is there.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
21 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

No, play Ocean with an Atlanta. That's like stepping on a landmine you know is there.

Ocean in Atlanta, well yea you are just asking for trouble for that.  But I do like the map.  So I feel it needs to be brought back more often.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,723 posts
8,237 battles

Tears of Desert is decent when you are in conquest mode. I like going B or A as a DD to cap. But when it's Epicenter you can only hope that your team doesn't hide behind island.

As a DD you hope to get in the center as fast as possible without being spotted

As a CA you can only hide behind island and hope your BB will move

I know getting in the center first gives you a win but on this map compared to other it's even harder to have support when you cap the middle.

Oh yeah Ocean is in the map rotation. You just have to play a ship that rely on cover to get this map. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,830 posts
9,581 battles
1 hour ago, IronWolfV said:

Ocean is TERRIBLE for cruisers. Hell even something of a pain for DDs. Only ships that thrive are BBs. Which is why they probably love that map.

It was fantastic for Shimakaze with 20k torps. You could launch on the edge and potentially hit 3 or 4 ships because of the range.

[SYN]
30,523 posts
4,500 battles
37 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

It was fantastic for Shimakaze with 20k torps. You could launch on the edge and potentially hit 3 or 4 ships because of the range.

Yeah but for a Gearing, not so much.

[SYN]
30,523 posts
4,500 battles
2 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

OWSF was about all they could do.

And it's pretty sad a ship to be viable had to rely on a busted mechanic.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

there are no bad maps,  just bad players.     tears/epicenter only need 1 ship in 2 ring that can smoke up /fire over mountain . losing center doesn't do jack.    Otherwise, you play like any other map. 

Ocean can be difficult for certain nations, but for most ships ,it is just fine.    its still easier to play ocean than get hit by cyclone in a cruiser.  

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,830 posts
9,581 battles
2 hours ago, IronWolfV said:

And it's pretty sad a ship to be viable had to rely on a busted mechanic.

Even sadder that they have yet to proof it against Soviet 130mm HE.

[SALVO]
Members
17,049 posts
17,674 battles
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:19 PM, enderland07 said:

Ocean is a map that still comes up, just less often.

Just less often?  I can't remember the last time I saw Ocean, it's so friggin' rare!!!

[SALVO]
Members
17,049 posts
17,674 battles
11 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Tears of Desert is decent when you are in conquest mode. I like going B or A as a DD to cap. But when it's Epicenter you can only hope that your team doesn't hide behind island.

As a DD you hope to get in the center as fast as possible without being spotted

As a CA you can only hide behind island and hope your BB will move

I know getting in the center first gives you a win but on this map compared to other it's even harder to have support when you cap the middle.

Oh yeah Ocean is in the map rotation. You just have to play a ship that rely on cover to get this map. 

Conquest mode?  That's a new one to me.

[SALVO]
Members
17,049 posts
17,674 battles
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, HazardDrake said:

Short reply to this idea:

(snipped obscene gesture GIF that I hope the mods edit out as a forum rules violation)

Long answer:

If this was a simulator then perhaps Ocean would be a fantastic map. Unfortunately, this is an arcade game where BBs have buffed hit rates. Cruisers have a hard time operating and strategy is basically "clockwise or "counterclockwise".

The map is both too small, making it easy to focus ships, and too big, impossible to keep your cap covered.

So no.

You clearly don't remember that Ocean no longer uses Standard mode and instead used a 3 cap domination mode, so no more rotating around the middle of the map strats.

As for cruisers, boo-hoo, you have to play a cruiser smart.  I'm sick and tired of people making lame excuses for bad cruiser play.  No cruiser needs hard cover to be played well, except perhaps the Atlanta/Flint.  If you're constantly getting happened with citadels and dev strikes in your cruisers, there's a message there.  And it's "You suck as a cruiser player!!!"

And once again, another lame player making the same tired excuses about ohhh, it's an arcade game.  No, it's the best map in the game because it's the best map in  the  game.  If you can't make your cruisers work on this map, that's YOUR fault.  Not the maps.  Not the battleships'.  You.

[SALVO]
Members
17,049 posts
17,674 battles
11 hours ago, IronWolfV said:

Ocean is TERRIBLE for cruisers. Hell even something of a pain for DDs. Only ships that thrive are BBs. Which is why they probably love that map.

Baloney.

I love playing Ocean in pretty much any ship of any type.  BB's, cruisers, DD's, whatever.  Depending on terrain for your ability to succeed only shows your weakness as a player.