Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

When will monstro markers be added to the game cliient??

34 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,645
[BIAS]
Members
3,138 posts
9,213 battles

So with the new patch, monstro markers has been deemed an illegal mod, I believe due to the file it accesses for its information. This is the mod that shows you what consumables your team is running as well as what ships are on fire. This mod is super handy and stuff that team mates relay to each other all the time. Having it in a visual makes gameplay a lot smoother and less communication needed for it.'

When will WG add it to the game client for us to use??? There is no reason not to. It is one of the more popular mods from what I see and more than a few of us are disappointed at it becoming illegal to use.

How about it WG ( @Pigeon_of_War ), when can you get it added into the game? i know there is a push to get it added on other fronts but wanted to make an effort from the player base that frequent the forums.

 

Spoiler

Inb4 someone says that all mods should be banned....

 

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
3 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

It just shows you that information for your own team?

Which gives you an advantage over those players on the other team who may not have it. Ask yourself this. Why do you want it? If the answer is anything other than, "I like the color" then it shouldn't be allowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,029 posts
1 minute ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

Which gives you an advantage over those players on the other team who may not have it. Ask yourself this. Why do you want it? If the answer is anything other than, "I like the color" then it shouldn't be allowed.

I asked whether or not it only applied to your own team.  Not sure why you quoted me with this response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
1 minute ago, AspiringCodger said:

I asked whether or not it only applied to your own team.  Not sure why you quoted me with this response.

I misunderstood your post, then.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
354
[5D]
Members
1,243 posts
7,212 battles

It's a pointless mod anyways. It tells you nothing that decent situational awareness can't already tell you.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
579
[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, WoWS Community Contributors
1,957 posts
8,893 battles
7 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

Why do you want it? If the answer is anything other than, "I like the color" then it shouldn't be allowed.

I disagree.

There have been a LOT of mods that the community has made to supplement the in-game UI; a number of those should have been included in the base UI (and are now, in fact) from the beginning.  The mod community has pushed WG into improving the display of information to the player, giving us things like smoke circles, smoke timers, ship names on the minimap, last reported position on the minimap, range circles on the minimap, and more.  This is yet another instance of something that should be in the base UI (it shouldn't be a secret that one of my teammates has hydro or radar active) and isn't. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
589
[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,736 battles
33 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

 

  Hide contents

Inb4 someone says that all mods should be banned....

 

All mods should be banned....

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
10,762 battles
13 minutes ago, Spartias said:

It's a pointless mod anyways. It tells you nothing that decent situational awareness can't already tell you.

How is it pointless if it enables a player without situational awareness to level the playing field with one that does?

Edited by chewonit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
725
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 minute ago, chewonit said:

How is it pointless if it enables a player without situational awareness to level the playing field with ones that does?

Sounds like a BB versus DD comment... 

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
11 minutes ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

I disagree.

There have been a LOT of mods that the community has made to supplement the in-game UI; a number of those should have been included in the base UI (and are now, in fact) from the beginning.  The mod community has pushed WG into improving the display of information to the player, giving us things like smoke circles, smoke timers, ship names on the minimap, last reported position on the minimap, range circles on the minimap, and more.  This is yet another instance of something that should be in the base UI (it shouldn't be a secret that one of my teammates has hydro or radar active) and isn't. 

As I have stated in more threads than I can count, I have no problem with people making mods and submitting them to WG for inclusion into the game if WG likes them. What I have a problem with, are mods that give people an advantage over those who don't use it. For example, let's look at smoke rings (that have been added to the game). before it was added, those using them had a benefit that those not using them did not (knowing the exact borders of the smoke effect).

 

I could go on and list many more examples, but that would simply repeat what has been posted ad nauseam elsewhere. 

 

WG's current policy is that anything that gives one player an advantage over another not using it, should not be allowed. I would argue that many of the current mods allowed do exactly that, which is why I support a policy of "no mods". If you have one that you would like to submit for inclusion into the base game, submit it. But I am against allowing any mods of the base game (unless WG gets a whole lot stricter in controlling what mods are allowed).

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
838
[MIA-A]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,389 battles
6 minutes ago, sbcptnitro said:

All mods should be banned....

Because my flag mods, captain picture changing mods, and voice mods ruin your game so much? 

 

Mods are good, as long as they don't give an illegal advantage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
403
[WOLF5]
Members
1,537 posts
2,123 battles
11 minutes ago, Spartias said:

It's a pointless mod anyways. It tells you nothing that decent situational awareness can't already tell you.

I'm sorry, but I can't tell if a friendly is running hydro no matter what I do, and it's really hard to see if he's running DF or Radar. If I can see this, then I know that I'm covered, and I don't have to pop that consumable. Obviously for reds, the fire is something you can see anyway. However, I think it's the way the mod accesses the code, not the mod itself, that is the problem.

 

I run Aslains for several things that help me out. Team lists with HP bars. I know what HP that last enemy DD is on (roughly) without looking or asking the team. I can get instant info on the Torp range, that's incredibly useful. Running lights, really help aiming. Chat, I know who's talking. Does this give me an advange, yes. Not a huge one, but it makes it easier to get info to use for sure. All these should be in the game client IMO, especially the chat showing the ships. In fact, I'm surprised running lights is still allowed. But I don't feel I'm cheating, the mod is allowed, so on we go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,786
[SALVO]
Members
17,036 posts
17,659 battles
24 minutes ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

I disagree.

There have been a LOT of mods that the community has made to supplement the in-game UI; a number of those should have been included in the base UI (and are now, in fact) from the beginning.  The mod community has pushed WG into improving the display of information to the player, giving us things like smoke circles, smoke timers, ship names on the minimap, last reported position on the minimap, range circles on the minimap, and more.  This is yet another instance of something that should be in the base UI (it shouldn't be a secret that one of my teammates has hydro or radar active) and isn't. 

I'm not so sure that this is something that should be included.  For example, if it's showing which enemy ships are on fire, IMO, you should have to figure that out for yourself, not have the info given to you as a freebie.  OTOH, I have no real issue with knowing which team mates have activated hydro or radar or DF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,089
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,246 posts
3,106 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

I'm not so sure that this is something that should be included.  For example, if it's showing which enemy ships are on fire, IMO, you should have to figure that out for yourself, not have the info given to you as a freebie.  OTOH, I have no real issue with knowing which team mates have activated hydro or radar or DF.

 

I agree. Knowing which allied ships are using their unique consumables is a great boon to the game, and would only serve to increase teamwork and cooperation in random battles, while also making competitive matches somewhat smoother. Having a UI like this showing only what's going on in your team almost seems like a matter of course, in fact; like it should have been included from day 1. 

And, like you said, having a UI feature showing which ships are on fire doesn't need to be added. We already have visual queues for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,645
[BIAS]
Members
3,138 posts
9,213 battles
20 minutes ago, sbcptnitro said:

All mods should be banned....

I knew I could count on you!! If there was one person that I thought would post that as a response, you came to mind first. Lol

16 minutes ago, chewonit said:

How is it pointless if it enables a player without situational awareness to level the playing field with one that does?

And players with poor situational awareness will still not be helped by it. If they see planes coming, they'll panic and hit the Def as whether they can see their team mate is running it already. If they are tunnel visioned, no ui change can help them

13 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

As I have stated in more threads than I can count, I have no problem with people making mods and submitting them to WG for inclusion into the game if WG likes them. What I have a problem with, are mods that give people an advantage over those who don't use it. For example, let's look at smoke rings (that have been added to the game). before it was added, those using them had a benefit that those not using them did not (knowing the exact borders of the smoke effect).

 

I could go on and list many more examples, but that would simply repeat what has been posted ad nauseam elsewhere. 

 

WG's current policy is that anything that gives one player an advantage over another not using it, should not be allowed. I would argue that many of the current mods allowed do exactly that, which is why I support a policy of "no mods". If you have one that you would like to submit for inclusion into the base game, submit it. But I am against allowing any mods of the base game (unless WG gets a whole lot stricter in controlling what mods are allowed).

So you want players to spend their time and effort on making things for games that likely will never see the light of day in the game. If it gets rejected, they are out their time and effort of making it. That's a "great" way to foster a good community. BTW, make sure you keep your vehicle stock. Any decal you want to put on the window, design it and submit it to Ford or chev and if they deem it OK, then they can put it on everyone's window. Also don't put any kind of mod on your vehicle. If you want it, design the mod and hope they include it on everyone's vehicle. You want bigger tires? Forget it... If it doesn't come with it, then you are out of luck. 

Obviously there are things you can do that void your warranty, just like a banned mod on a pc game. But the manufacturer doesn't care if it is something that doesn't void your warranty

Now do you realize how idiotic your view sounds? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,645
[BIAS]
Members
3,138 posts
9,213 battles
13 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'm not so sure that this is something that should be included.  For example, if it's showing which enemy ships are on fire, IMO, you should have to figure that out for yourself, not have the info given to you as a freebie.  OTOH, I have no real issue with knowing which team mates have activated hydro or radar or DF.

The fire indicator, I think most of us running the mod couldnt care less about it. We just want to see what our team is doing. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
508
[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,961 posts
1,487 battles

Sigh, why am i not surprised. WG'ing has really weird rules when it comes to what they will and will not ban.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
75
[5D]
Beta Testers
434 posts
7,797 battles

Well this sucks. I use it, and it's been very helpful to knowing that teammates around me are using DAAF, Hydro, Radar, plane etc........ -Sigh.... 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
22 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

So you want players to spend their time and effort on making things for games that likely will never see the light of day in the game. If it gets rejected, they are out their time and effort of making it.

Um... that's your choice. They could even run contests, make a mod that gets included = win a prize. But otherwise, yes that's exactly what I suggest.

 

22 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

BTW, make sure you keep your vehicle stock. Any decal you want to put on the window, design it and submit it to Ford or chev and if they deem it OK, then they can put it on everyone's window. Also don't put any kind of mod on your vehicle. If you want it, design the mod and hope they include it on everyone's vehicle. You want bigger tires? Forget it... If it doesn't come with it, then you are out of luck. 

Not sure how this is even relevant to the discussion, but ok I'll address it. I don't have any window decals, vehicle modifications, or bigger tires. There is of course one thing you're not considering (and it's a biggie). You own the vehicle (in the case of a leased vehicle  where you don't actually own it yet - you can't make modifications). You don't own the game. You are allowed to play the game only as long as you follow the agreement you signed by downloading it, and the game maker gets to decide at any time whether they want to ban you from it.

22 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Obviously there are things you can do that void your warranty, just like a banned mod on a pc game. But the manufacturer doesn't care if it is something that doesn't void your warranty

Modifying a game does in most cases "void the warranty" (for lack of a better word) - which is why they have rules on what mods are allowed. Break those rules, they can ban you.

 

I have never understood how so many people are so willing to cheat if given half the chance. A game isn't a game if there's no chance to lose (no I'm not claiming mods = guaranteed win), a game or contest should be conducted on a level playing field. No side given an unfair advantage. If you (and by "you" I mean anyone reading this, not any one person individually), if you need an advantage in order to compete in the game - perhaps this isn't the game for you. Nothing seems to get people's undies in a bunch faster on these forums than daring to suggest that they play without all the mods that give them advantages not available to everyone else.

That's why I argue that ALL mods need to go. It is too hard to figure out exactly where the line is drawn between allowed/not allowed (ask 10 people and you'll get 15 different answers). For every person who says it gives an unfair advantage, you'll find someone using it who claims that using an aimbot is essential and needs to be kept available (I purposely chose an example of something clearly not allowed for illustration, I am not claiming any particular current mod is an aimbot).

 

BTW - years ago we had a clan member in my previous clan that actually tried to argue why he SHOULD be allowed to use an aimbot (as we were kicking him from the clan for it, and reporting him for a worlwide ban from the game). He claimed that since he was in his 40's he couldn't be expected to have reaction times fast enough to compete with teenagers - therefore, aimbots should be allowed.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,577
[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,723 posts
15,363 battles
34 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

As I have stated in more threads than I can count, I have no problem with people making mods and submitting them to WG for inclusion into the game if WG likes them. What I have a problem with, are mods that give people an advantage over those who don't use it. For example, let's look at smoke rings (that have been added to the game). before it was added, those using them had a benefit that those not using them did not (knowing the exact borders of the smoke effect).

 

I could go on and list many more examples, but that would simply repeat what has been posted ad nauseam elsewhere. 

 

WG's current policy is that anything that gives one player an advantage over another not using it, should not be allowed. I would argue that many of the current mods allowed do exactly that, which is why I support a policy of "no mods". If you have one that you would like to submit for inclusion into the base game, submit it. But I am against allowing any mods of the base game (unless WG gets a whole lot stricter in controlling what mods are allowed).

 

This is true...  players may end up running the mods as well in order to "keep up"...  but what you're forgetting about is that most of the mods SeaRaptor listed probably would not be in the game were it not for their popularity. WG probably realized, just as you argue, that the mods should be included in order to give everyone the same competitive edge.  So now those mods are part of the base game.  Would this be the case had WG run a strict "no mod" policy?  Perhaps, but I doubt they would have appeared as quickly as they did.  

 

Also, let's keep in mind that MonstroMarkers was a team-oriented mod, especially helpful in Clan Battles.  It cuts out the need to communicate "hey is your radar on?" and keep comm chatter down.  In randoms, it's extremely helpful to know if that Cleveland that pulled up next to you is using Defensive Fire to scatter incoming bombers.  Or if the Z-23 in front of you is running hydro and therefore detecting torpedoes or enemy DDs in smoke.  This is stuff that can be communicated via text in-game (or voice), but takes a lot more time to do so than simply displaying an icon over the teammate.  It's not perfect, though, as we don't know how much longer the consumable will run, so we often still have to ask "how much longer is your hydro running?"

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,579
[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

So with the new patch, monstro markers has been deemed an illegal mod, I believe due to the file it accesses for its information. This is the mod that shows you what consumables your team is running as well as what ships are on fire. This mod is super handy and stuff that team mates relay to each other all the time. Having it in a visual makes gameplay a lot smoother and less communication needed for it.'

When will WG add it to the game client for us to use??? There is no reason not to. It is one of the more popular mods from what I see and more than a few of us are disappointed at it becoming illegal to use.

How about it WG ( @Pigeon_of_War ), when can you get it added into the game? i know there is a push to get it added on other fronts but wanted to make an effort from the player base that frequent the forums.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Inb4 someone says that all mods should be banned....

 

Shhhhhh don't tell people about monstromarkers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,645
[BIAS]
Members
3,138 posts
9,213 battles

But there are mods allowed for this game and you are saying they should only be allowed if a modder submits his mod to wg and they include it officially. 

So that is your view, not wg's. They want mods, they provide nodding tools... Just don't cross the line and you can run it and provide it to others. 

5 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

Nothing seems to upset people faster on these forums than daring to suggest that they play without all the mods that give them advantages not available to everyone else.

People that want to succeed are going to look for ways to get ahead, it's their nature to look for things. It's called getting ahead, capitalism, whatever you want to call it. Lazy people are typically the ones  not looking to game the system. They sit at home on welfare. The rich people are utilizing tax loopholes to maximize their wealth. Now, how far they go is according to their morals and ethics. I'm going to cheat the taxman by as many of the loopholes he has provided me, but I will stay within the law. When it comes to games, I will run every mod that I think helps me as long as it's allowed. 

Is someone being unfair to the rest of the population because their accountant is really good at helping them within the law? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
589
[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,736 battles
45 minutes ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

Because my flag mods, captain picture changing mods, and voice mods ruin your game so much? 

When context is unknown or misunderstood, people take me seriously, I guess.

If you didn't notice, I quoted the OP saying "inb4 some says.." and reiterated exactly what he was expecting someone to say, even down to the 4 periods afterwards. We've had many debates about use of mods, so I knew he put that specifically for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×