You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
octavian1186

Hello! (and a couple questions..)

16 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
1,532 battles

Just started playing yesterday. Really loving the style so far, though the occasional insta-death from torps or a higher tier BB can be frustrating. I've got experience in both the battle style and the f2p from various games so I came in with moderately mild expectations and have been pleasantly surprised so far.

Questions:

What's the best use of doubloons if you aren't planning to spend real money?

I'm not yet at the point where I spend on the game. If i put enough time time into it, I will put money in to support it. I've thrown money at games and been disappointed, so I'm approaching with caution. I own most games that are similar to the tactical style of the game on steam and am really hoping this becomes a long-term entertainment. I played WoT on and off and it didn't appeal for the commitment needed, this seems to be more along my preferences. My current reading has lead me to believe doubloons are best spent on permanent camo for whichever ships I plan to use most.

Best ships in class sorted by nation..?

There's 4 specified classes of ship, which aren't all that generalized when you look at individual ships. I would further break things down into sub-classes that aren't officially recognized:

BB artillery: long range main battery fire, you lose if you get inside 6km of anything

BB fighter: too much secondary to ignore, full steam ahead while trying to use main batteries at best effect

Pocket BB: classified as a BB but maneuvers like a CA (obv missing firepower compared to other BB)

CA hunter: fast w/ torps, kills BBs better than most CA

CA fighter: good secondary batteries and quick traverse main guns, intended to fend off DDs while going even with other CA.

CA Tank: No outstanding qualities, will match v BBs or DDs though not efficiently. from what i've seen of match making it's prolly the best class for random battles

DD: scouting, torp sniping, and somehow the best defensive support with smoke-screen (CA better vs planes)

CV: haven't played yet and have no interest in playing so far. will eventually try and could change my mind.

If I'm intending to play max tier ships as often as possible, what nations should I level for the classes listed above? Brief reasoning behind it would be cool.

Stand-out for tier ships? From what I've seen so far, things like the 'HMS Danae' stand out as extremely good hunters for turret placement and armament mix (i could be wrong or even very-wrong, but they should murder equivalent tier CA and have the speed to close on BBs). The way match-making seems to work promotes these 'best in tier' ships. What ships are worth keeping on my way to tier X?

[HINON]
Members
9,046 posts

Hmm if you go to T10 the permanent camos are a nice thing to save doubloons for or if you like certain premium ships they rotate from time to time which ones you can buy ingame with doubloons. If you decide you like the game though, premium time would be my recommendation as it really increases your credits and xp along the way and it's not that pricey if you buy a whole year. But dont buy it until you are certain you wish to stick with the game. Ship opinions vary widely. I keep ships that I had fun in and enjoy driving. I sell off the ones that I don't like. I suppose that is another good purchase if you like collecting ships would be more port slots. Might be on sale around Christmas. Play a bunch of lines up to T4 or T5, see which playstyles you most like and focus on those lines. Welcome to the game and forums by the way. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,678 posts
9,083 battles
2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Hmm if you go to T10 the permanent camos are a nice thing to save doubloons for or if you like certain premium ships they rotate from time to time which ones you can buy ingame with doubloons. If you decide you like the game though, premium time would be my recommendation as it really increases your credits and xp along the way and it's not that pricey if you buy a whole year. But dont buy it until you are certain you wish to stick with the game. Ship opinions vary widely. I keep ships that I had fun in and enjoy driving. I sell off the ones that I don't like. I suppose that is another good purchase if you like collecting ships would be more port slots. Might be on sale around Christmas. Play a bunch of lines up to T4 or T5, see which playstyles you most like and focus on those lines. Welcome to the game and forums by the way. 

They are also useful for port slots but I doubt you will even need to consider buying reserve slots for your captains because of how often they show up in containers.

• Cool 1

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,266 battles

Save gold for retraining, grind the early lines of IJN dds and German BBs and USA cruisers.

Once you have reached T6 in each all of your questions will be answered.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,678 posts
9,083 battles
2 hours ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

Your MegaChristmasBundle will be here soon!

Don't use an upper tier premium in randoms until you know how to play upper tier.

:cap_cool:

FTFY

[SALVO]
Members
17,098 posts
17,769 battles
49 minutes ago, octavian1186 said:

Just started playing yesterday. Really loving the style so far, though the occasional insta-death from torps or a higher tier BB can be frustrating. I've got experience in both the battle style and the f2p from various games so I came in with moderately mild expectations and have been pleasantly surprised so far.

Questions:

I'm not yet at the point where I spend on the game. If i put enough time time into it, I will put money in to support it. I've thrown money at games and been disappointed, so I'm approaching with caution. I own most games that are similar to the tactical style of the game on steam and am really hoping this becomes a long-term entertainment. I played WoT on and off and it didn't appeal for the commitment needed, this seems to be more along my preferences. My current reading has lead me to believe doubloons are best spent on permanent camo for whichever ships I plan to use most.

There's 4 specified classes of ship, which aren't all that generalized when you look at individual ships. I would further break things down into sub-classes that aren't officially recognized:

BB artillery: long range main battery fire, you lose if you get inside 6km of anything

BB fighter: too much secondary to ignore, full steam ahead while trying to use main batteries at best effect

Pocket BB: classified as a BB but maneuvers like a CA (obv missing firepower compared to other BB)

CA fighter: good secondary batteries and quick traverse main guns, intended to fend off DDs while going even with other CA.

CA Tank: No outstanding qualities, will match v BBs or DDs though not efficiently. from what i've seen of match making it's prolly the best class for random battles

DD: scouting, torp sniping, and somehow the best defensive support with smoke-screen (CA better vs planes)

CV: haven't played yet and have no interest in playing so far. will eventually try and could change my mind.

If I'm intending to play max tier ships as often as possible, what nations should I level for the classes listed above? Brief reasoning behind it would be cool.

Stand-out for tier ships? From what I've seen so far, things like the 'HMS Danae' stand out as extremely good hunters for turret placement and armament mix (i could be wrong or even very-wrong, but they should murder equivalent tier CA and have the speed to close on BBs). The way match-making seems to work promotes these 'best in tier' ships. What ships are worth keeping on my way to tier X?

There are 4 TYPES of ships, not classes!  Ship Class refers to a group of ships built to a common design, such as the Iowa class battleships.  Ship Type refers to ships that a generally common design purpose and characteristics, i.e. aircraft carrier, battleship, cruiser, or destroyer.

Members
1,866 posts
23 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Welcome aboard This game is Free to pay.

F2P stands for free to pay (or not pay). This I know, I know. We who are about to pay salute you, those who never pay. A month of premium cost less than a pizza.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,539 posts
2,148 battles
1 hour ago, octavian1186 said:

Questions:

Doubloons: Best used for Retraining commanders between ships and re-speccing. Maybe for converting FXP to XP.

Money, premium ships. They make great captain trainers, many are lots of fun, and they make good money. However, don't buy one that's higher tier than the tier you've grinded too (See: Derpitz). Also, premium time is very nice, but you have to judge if it's worth it for you. Also, premium camoes are very nice, especially on high tier ships.

Other than the Russians, you can't say one nation or type of ship is better than the other (I'm mostly kidding about the Russians, except the Khaba). Pick the one you most enjoy. They all have different playstyles. Play BBs, CLs, and DDs, and see which type you like best. CVs are hard, nearly a different game. I'd say get some experience before you try those. 

Then nation. Again, they differ. Pick the ones you like best for playstyle. For example, if you like to charge in all guns blazing, German BBs. But if you prefer to sit a bit back, and use hard hitting guns, then USN BBs. (If you want to troll other players and get reported, as well as be able to rack up massive damage while playing like a noob, RN BBs are for you). Try the various nations, or watch YouTube videos to see which nation you like. You have lots of options.

On which ships, that's personal preference. Play up the line. If you really like a ship, keep it. What you like may not be what most other people like, and that's fine. I liked the CO, most people hate it. So if you like something, stick with it.

In short, see what you like to play, and play it.

Finally, welcome aboard. Avoid the trolls here on the forums, but if you have questions, feel free to ask. If they're stupid, ask, but don't be surprised if you get stupid answers. Remember, the tone you post in sets the tone for responses.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,040 battles

I wouldn't get too fixated on playing as high a tier as you can all the time.  If you're playing free for now, your port slots may be limited, but the fun in this game is wherever you find it. 

I happen to like playing my Clemson, so I kept it (actually, bought it again) even though I'm up to the tier 8 on that line. 

The way credit rewards are set up, unless you're consistently very good (or manage to accumulate a massive credit horde), playing tier 10 constantly is not viable.  Eventually you'll run out of credits, and have to play a lower tier ship to make some more.

Welcome aboard!

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,461 posts
11,780 battles
1 hour ago, octavian1186 said:

Questions:

Best use of gold;

1 to demount equipment, 25 gold.

2 to retrain captain to 100% on a new ship.

3 port slots.

4 permanent cammo on ships you love to play.

5 captain berths.

Note: in credit containers it is possible to get a port slot and 4 captain berths. These occur in regular containers and not super containers. For frequency, I average 2 containers a day 5 days a week and I have gotten this 5 times in 2 months.

Battleships: Kongo, Fuso, Nagato, Amagi, bayern, Bismarck,  N. Carolina, Iowa. King George V.

Cruisers, IJN tier 7 and up. Cleveland,  Russian tier 5 and up, German tier 5 and up, British tier 6 and up, French, any.

Destroyers; Yugo and Shimmy, Atkuzuki. Kieve and up, gnevny. Clemson and up.

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles

OP,
Keep an open mind about playing a few different ship types (BB's, DD's, CL's, etc) at the lower tiers instead of just quickly charging up one line to get a higher tier ship as fast as you can.  I started with Cruisers, then played a lot of Battleships, and now split time between the two of them.  I'm leaving DD's and Carriers for later, as they demand a higher skill ceiling (in my opinion, at least).

Good luck!

1,542 posts
26 battles

Hello @octavian1186 and welcome to the game! How are you finding your experience so far? I hope the awesome team of Captains above were able to answer your questions but if you have any more please let us know! :D