Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
cometguy

Smoke Question

10 comments in this topic

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

So, I should probably know the answer by now, but it has never been an issue until yesterday (possibly).

Say I am outside of smoke, and fire my guns, then a few seconds later, enter smoke. Does my spotting bloom instantly reduce to the spotting from smoke distance? My intuition says that it would, but an experience last night has me questioning that.

I'm in the Neptune and fire at an enemy cruiser 11 km away, then enter friendly smoke. I remain spotted as if I had never entered smoke. I had also just entered a cap that wasn't being contested, so at the time I was fairly sure that there wasn't a nearby enemy destroyer that I wasn't aware of. Also no radar indicator by the spotted indicator.

So, am I a fool for not knowing the details of when gun bloom changes, or a fool for having not been as aware of my surroundings as I thought I was?

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
136 posts
5,027 battles

In my experience thus far...
If the smoke is blocking line of site to ALL enemy ships, your detection while firing your guns is like you are inside the smoke. If there are enemy ships that are not blocked by the smoke, they can see you at the max visibility of your ship. Once you enter the smoke, that will be rectified.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
10 minutes ago, cometguy said:

So, I should probably know the answer by now, but it has never been an issue until yesterday (possibly).

Say I am outside of smoke, and fire my guns, then a few seconds later, enter smoke. Does my spotting bloom instantly reduce to the spotting from smoke distance? My intuition says that it would, but an experience last night has me questioning that.

I'm in the Neptune and fire at an enemy cruiser 11 km away, then enter friendly smoke. I remain spotted as if I had never entered smoke. I had also just entered a cap that wasn't being contested, so at the time I was fairly sure that there wasn't a nearby enemy destroyer that I wasn't aware of. Also no radar indicator by the spotted indicator.

So, am I a fool for not knowing the details of when gun bloom changes, or a fool for having not been as aware of my surroundings as I thought I was?

Your spotting distance decreases to whatever your concealment is inside of smoke. However, your detection is STILL on a timer so if you fired your guns right before entering smoke then quickly move through the smoke and come out in the other side of it (before 20 seconds are up) your concealment will still be as high as the max range of your guns. Entering smoke does NOT reset your timer after you fired your main guns. Therefore its always best to wait until your concealment resets to normal before leaving smoke.

Edited by Ulthwey

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,191 battles

If you fire your guns and are detected, your detection penalty will still be active inside smoke. Take Kutuzov for example. If I were to fire my guns, I’d be detected at 19.1km, her max gun range. If I were to then enter smoke or pop my own, my detection will drop to the smoke penalty, 7.7km in the case of the Kutuzov. So it goes from 19.1km exposed -> 7.7km in smoke, then down to 2km if I were to go guns silent.

[PSP]
Members
6,262 posts
8,898 battles

This morning, I fired my guns outside of smoke then went inside the smoke and was still detected. The "detection range inside smoke" seems to apply to your ship as long as the firing bloom is in effect.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Interesting, ok. So it sounds like my intuition was correct, and my awareness of my surroundings was lacking. Thanks everyone!

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,842 posts
13,059 battles

As others have noted, smoke does not reset the bloom.  

However, if you are detected normally (bloom not in effect) and enter smoke, your detection distance drops immediately.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

An interesting, unrelated question that seems related has to do with secondaries and smoke. It "seems/appears/feels/fillinblank" when you are targeted by a ship's secondaries and smoke up - the little rascals keep firing on you far longer than you would "think" they could/should/would. On some occasions, it is as if the secondaries can see through the smoke. 

what ya think about that? 

[CAST]
Members
1,201 posts
7,381 battles

There is something weird about smoke detection that is going on.  I played a game a couple of days ago where I smoked up in my Edinburgh.  A BB was approaching  past an island broadside.  He spots my smoke and turns towards me.  He is about 6km out.  I can see him because he is detected by someone on my team.  I take a few shots, then he goes dark.  I guess he passed by an island blocking his view from my team mates.  Meanwhile, he is blind firing into my smoke.   I still cannot see him, but my torps and guns are ready for when he gets into detection distance.  I would have thought that he was already inside that detection zone due to his gun bloom through smoke.  All of the enemy ships were accounted for on the map, so no surprises for me.  All of a sudden I became detected by the BB.  I still couldn't see him.  He shot me and I died having never seen him at all.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
1 hour ago, Ulthwey said:

Your spotting distance decreases to whatever your concealment is inside of smoke. However, your detection is STILL on a timer so if you fired your guns right before entering smoke then quickly move through the smoke and come out in the other side of it (before 20 seconds are up) your concealment will still be as high as the max range of your guns. Entering smoke does NOT reset your timer after you fired your main guns. Therefore its always best to wait until your concealment resets to normal before leaving smoke.

^ What he said. Last night I fired, entered smoke - but the smoke was expiring. So as I moved from one expiring section to the next, my detection range kept shrinking/expanding like a yoyo every couple seconds until timer ran out.

Sign in to follow this